Motors with planetary gearing

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Motors with planetary gearing

Postby Fedor » 14 Sep 2021, 13:04

A new player called MET has recently appeared in my local powerchair market. Apparently they are "repackaging" Chinese powerchairs.
In one model I was interested in unusual motors with a planetary reduction gear

kreslo_kolyaska_elektroprivodnoe_s_maksimalnoy_skorostyu_12_km_ch.jpg

motor-planetary.jpg

I could not find the marking or specification of these motors, but the seller claims 500W per motor, the maximum speed of 10km/h and as we can see in the photo they are four-pole.
However I think they don't have magnetic brakes because there is a dedicated wheel locking lever on the side, but that's not certain.

What do you think about this type of motor on powerchairs? Pros, cons?
geek | non-native english | bear, vodka, balalaika
Fedor

Re: Motors with planetary gearing

Postby slomobile » 14 Sep 2021, 13:55

If there is room left for good sized batteries, then it is a good thing.
Right angle motors are typically used so that there can be a big gap between motors where you put the batteries.
These motors are back to back. There are small potential for EMI issues with having the commutators close to each other.
Notice the motors have a larger diameter than typical powerchair motors. The rotor is further from motor centerline, a longer effective lever, so all else being the same you get more torque at less RPM. That means a smaller gear reduction ratio for equivalent chair speed. Planetary gears share the torque through several planet gears so they are stronger, but heavier. But things aren't equal. These motors are shorter. So there is less motive force for the same winding resistance. Its hard to say how this will compare to 300w motors.

Putting manual brakes where users can reach them, no clicking, weight savings, power savings, progressive braking control. The concept sounds good, if you can remember to actually apply your own parking brakes. But it doesn't look like the brake they used is reachable or progressive.
slomobile

Postby shirley_hkg » 14 Sep 2021, 15:07

Maybe just offset the gear axles .
Attachments
IMG-20210914-WA0009.jpg
shirley_hkg

Postby woodygb » 14 Sep 2021, 15:11

The motor with the shorter nose is from a Frontier X5..the other is from a Pride Wrangle scooter.

I think that they are made by Shihlin
An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field.
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby duke1 » 14 Sep 2021, 15:23

hi it looks like any other chair other than axial motors,the big levers sticking out the back are the freewheel levers same as my tinas gunter meier chair except i sensiblised it by reducing the length of the levers to behind the anti tips instead of in front,it looks a solid build but no surprise ime russians build stuff to last a long time,i would love a set of the motors for when tinas wear out to stage i can no longer rebuild them,interesting seeing other makes and designs,cheers
duke1

Postby woodygb » 14 Sep 2021, 15:24

An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field.
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby sacharlie » 14 Sep 2021, 15:30

woodygb wrote:Image

The motor with the shorter nose is from a Frontier X5..the other is from a Pride Wrangle scooter.

I think that they are made by Shihlin

Yes they are shihlin and also used on 1000s of hoverround mpv4 powerchairs.
sacharlie

Postby woodygb » 14 Sep 2021, 15:33

Fedor wrote:A new player called MET has recently appeared in my local powerchair market. Apparently they are "repackaging" Chinese powerchairs.
In one model I was interested in unusual motors with a planetary reduction gear

kreslo_kolyaska_elektroprivodnoe_s_maksimalnoy_skorostyu_12_km_ch.jpg

motor-planetary.jpg

I could not find the marking or specification of these motors, but the seller claims 500W per motor, the maximum speed of 10km/h and as we can see in the photo they are four-pole.
However I think they don't have magnetic brakes because there is a dedicated wheel locking lever on the side, but that's not certain.

What do you think about this type of motor on powerchairs? Pros, cons?

It is NOT a planetary gearbox.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixLeeSENlPU&t=907s
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby Fedor » 14 Sep 2021, 15:47

woodygb wrote:
It is NOT a planetary gearbox.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixLeeSENlPU&t=907s

Wow, thanks, Woody, looks like you're right. It's hard enough to determine the type of gearbox because they look alike.
Based on the video, the gearbox design looks quite simple and will probably be more reliable and easier to maintain.
The only problem is that it is not easy to get these motors everywhere, because they are rarely used.

slomobile wrote:These motors are back to back. There are small potential for EMI issues with having the commutators close to each other.
Notice the motors have a larger diameter than typical powerchair motors. The rotor is further from motor centerline, a longer effective lever, so all else being the same you get more torque at less RPM. That means a smaller gear reduction ratio for equivalent chair speed. Planetary gears share the torque through several planet gears so they are stronger, but heavier. But things aren't equal. These motors are shorter. So there is less motive force for the same winding resistance. Its hard to say how this will compare to 300w motors.

Thank you for the information. You're right that the lever for the brake doesn't look accessible at all, but maybe it's potentially a good idea.

duke1 wrote:it looks a solid build but no surprise ime russians build stuff to last a long time

Unfortunately, nothing good is being done in Russia right now except vodka and depression. :lol:
It's a powerchair made of ordinary Chinese parts, just like everywhere else.
Fedor

Postby Fedor » 14 Sep 2021, 15:51

woodygb wrote:It is NOT a planetary gearbox.s

What is this type of gearing called?
Fedor

Postby slomobile » 14 Sep 2021, 16:42

Fedor wrote:What is this type of gearing called?

Each gear is a spur gear. Together they are a spur gear train. Reduction box is the whole unit including shafts and casing.
slomobile

Return to Everything Powerchair