Myera Optimus 2 - Is it the right choice for me?

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Myera Optimus 2 - Is it the right choice for me?

Postby Sunflowers1990 » 22 Sep 2021, 10:00

I am looking to purchase a electric wheelchair which is for outdoor use only. I wear leg braces which at present are sufficient to get me around at home in addition to wall/furniture surfing.

I have had a Travel Scoot for 7 years which is coming to the end of its life. I think there is a space for another Travel Scoot in my life; when out and about with my partner (supermarket, traveling to see family etc)

I am looking for a more substantial comfy wheelchair for when I am out on my own. Travel Scoot is no longer suitable for prolonged use. After substantial research I found the Myera Optimus and wanted to ask situationally if you all think it's a good choice.

Twice a week I will be going to UNI in a adapted taxi, I wanted a chair which is crash tested and suitable to travel in.

I would like a chair with batteries that can cover a substantial distance that has flexible speeds - can drop it to 4mph in a shop/hospital and jump it up to 8mph when crossing roads, going into town. - crossing roads can be a bit scary with my current lithium batteries which are on there way out.

I would like to travel on the train C2C, National Rail, London Underground.
Big wheels so I don't fall down the gap - this happened last year and was very frightening.
Speed and ability to handle the inclines on train ramps.

The ability to travel on the London buses would be great, the one you can enter from the side which have a big space for turning.

A comfortable chair for when I go to all day events and or social clubs and activities on the weekends where I am traveling for 2hrs +
Also the option to remain in my wheelchair at lectures etc if it's more comfy then the basic chairs in classroom.

A elevated leg lift option to help with pain management.

The ability to carry my sewing machine etc on the back of my chair.

Whilst I am not a outdoors type of gal, we are moving to Scotland in a couple of years so the ability to go off road will be fantastic later down the road.

Also a electric wheelchair which is more prepared for English weather, getting caught in a down pour (with a joy stick cover and waterproof) is not going to cause a electrical meltdown.

What do you think is the Myera Optimus for me?

I have a home assessment in October.

Ps. I am self funding so big expensive and lots of worry worms about making the right choice.
Sunflowers1990

Re: Myera Optimus 2 - Is it the right choice for me?

Postby Burgerman » 22 Sep 2021, 10:53

That is basically a rear steered by joystick scooter. Halfway between a normal scooter and a tank chair steered normal wheelchair. Its very heavy. It is only really any use outdoors and indoors use is a little problematic. That might suit you. Or might not. Are you likely to get worse or need it indoors as well? Much less manoeverable inside due to the way it works. But that scooter style sttering means less wasted power outdoors so good range compared to a normal power wheelchair. Its weight and size might worry me for taxis and stuff though. And ability to manoever on trains. I struggle to get into the carriage with a normal tank steered wheelchair on some trains around here as it is. Not that I regularly use trains.

As for is it right for you, only you can know that. It wouldnt be my choice for me for e.g. For many reasons. It might be fine for your needs depending on your disablities and needs and capabilities.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby steves1977uk » 22 Sep 2021, 11:05

Welcome to the forum Sunflower! :thumbup:

Have you looked at the Dietz RWD chair? I have the Sango Advanced and it's a nice chair, suitable for outdoor/indoor use. You could also fit 210Ah LiFePO4 cells in a pair of GRP24's battery space and have a huge range. There's also the Sunrise Q700R which is very similar.

Curious to which Lithium batteries you're using now? My pack is 7 years old and still holds a good charge with using the Powerlab 8 charger which is not made anymore due to the Covid pandemic. :thumbdown:

The Meyra Optimus 2 is an outdoor chair only really since you can't do zero turns in it, unless you have wide rooms. Don't worry about the joystick pod getting wet in the rain as I've been caught in heavy downpours and it hasn't harmed my 32yr old chair. :thumbup:

Steve
steves1977uk

Postby Burgerman » 22 Sep 2021, 11:10

My guess is it will be a Lithium Ion (cobalt) laptop style pack about 12Ah with a BMS and a folding chair. And just like laptop batteries they do around 500 cycles, and die fast if charged full or discharged full or anywhere close to it. Also die fast when stored at 100%. So charge after use and then leaving it a few days causes shorter service life.

Or a lithium lead brick replacement. And those are also problematic for these reasons and some additional ones.

But dont confuse sunflower yet!
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Sunflowers1990 » 22 Sep 2021, 12:08

Thank you for the replies!
Disability wise I have Elhers Danlos Syndrome with a few soft tissue complications (heart and stomach) this equates to full or partial dislocations of joints. For me this is hands, arms, knees, ankles and toes. The braces hold my knees together to make it feel less like I'm walking on marshmallows. My core strength is weak so I am a tad unstable and I can't walk long distances. 7 years back I had fluid on the brain, I've since recovered but I don't have much bounce in me when I get hit with the unexpected.
Furthermore I'm not taking pain medication unless desperate as the side effects are awful so mobility equipment, compression and metal braces has become a fantastic middle ground.

I would like to say using a wheelchair inside is unlikely to be in my future as my condition is non degenerative. At the very least not in the next 7 years which is my time marker for reasonable time frame for buying new equipment.

So we're looking for comfort and outside use only.

The taxis for uni are the adapted ones where you drive into the back and they hook into the base of the chair. The Optimus has the metal clamps for this underneath, and is crash tested etc and fitted with a seatbelt. I thought this should be a priority as I will be doing approximately 4hrs a week in the back of said taxi.

As for the Travel Scoots batteries they are - LITHIUM-ION BATTERY 274WH. They remind me of large laptop batteries.

They are not holding charge anymore, the lights indicating the percentage of battery is guess work. If I go to London I have to persuade museum staff to let me change it and borrow an attendant wheelchair to ensure I can get home. I think this week will be my last trip to London until I source a replacement.

Thank you for the suggestions I will take a look.
I really appreciate the help, this had the potential to cost more then our last two cars put together. So I would like to get it right.
Sunflowers1990

Postby Sunflowers1990 » 22 Sep 2021, 12:13

Thank you for the recommendations.
I will take a look into the Dietz RWD (Sango Advanced) Sunrise Q700R.

I worry about the rain as I got caught in a storm last year with Travel Scoot had a electrical malfunction. My brother had to drive 3hrs and rescue me which really knocked my confidence.
Sunflowers1990

Postby rover220 » 22 Sep 2021, 12:37

Have a look at the Sango rwd, upto 100ah batteries.
rover220

Postby fishinjunky » 22 Sep 2021, 12:47

steves1977uk wrote:Welcome to the forum Sunflower! :thumbup:

Have you looked at the Dietz RWD chair? I have the Sango Advanced and it's a nice chair, suitable for outdoor/indoor use. You could also fit 210Ah LiFePO4 cells in a pair of GRP24's battery space and have a huge range. There's also the Sunrise Q700R which is very similar.

Curious to which Lithium batteries you're using now? My pack is 7 years old and still holds a good charge with using the Powerlab 8 charger which is not made anymore due to the Covid pandemic. :thumbdown:

The Meyra Optimus 2 is an outdoor chair only really since you can't do zero turns in it, unless you have wide rooms. Don't worry about the joystick pod getting wet in the rain as I've been caught in heavy downpours and it hasn't harmed my 32yr old chair. :thumbup:

Steve

even the dietz mid wheel drive looks like it does good outdoors with the offroad tires
https://youtu.be/w7RRV-1elfM
Invacare tdx sp
Bounder 300M 200ah lifepo4
fishinjunky

Postby terry2 » 22 Sep 2021, 16:25

I have a Meyra Optimus 2 chair.

It's way better than the 1800s wheels chairs people use.
It goes way further and the suspension is 100% better and it goes anywhere.
The batteries and R-Net components are very easy to get at. Just lift the seat, undo a cover that's it.
It comes with 2 X 120ah GEL batteries.

The Optimus 2 is cheaper to maintain having only 1 motor to worry about. 1800s wheel (tank) chair can cost £1,800 a pair.
New tires are only £30 each.

The problem you will have is it's size. Check if the transport company you want to use about it's size regs.

If you're anywhere near solihull you can try mine out.
Oh. if you do get one. Make sure it's the 8 mph one. You can then up the speed to 11 mph+
terry2

Postby steves1977uk » 22 Sep 2021, 18:10

Except yours isn't a powerchair Terry, it's a scooter made for outdoors. Two completely different mobility devices. A powerchair can zero turn, a scooter can't. So you're limited to where you can take it.

And motors don't cost £1800!, not if you shop around. :mrgreen:

Steve
steves1977uk

Postby Burgerman » 22 Sep 2021, 19:05

Sunrise, motors for my Q700 are around 550...
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby terry2 » 22 Sep 2021, 20:35

steves1977uk wrote:Except yours isn't a powerchair Terry, it's a scooter made for outdoors. Two completely different mobility devices. A powerchair can zero turn, a scooter can't. So you're limited to where you can take it.

And motors don't cost £1800!, not if you shop around. :mrgreen:

Steve

So. It's not a power chair going forwards, but it is going backwards :D
And if it wasn't a power chair the gov wouldn't of give money towards it czy

My 1800s Puma 40 chair cost me £1800 for 2X 8mph motors. With fitting.

I haven't found a place or shop that can't take my chair.
The comfort when traveling is awesome. The suspension is soooooo good.

I was limited to where I could go in my Puma 40.
It would not travel over farmers land with out getting stuck.
It would only do about 50 mile with my 170ah pack.

It over heated when doing 8 MPH for an hour.

My Optimus can go 100 miles and do 12 mph :dirtbike
I would never go back to a tank steer chair ever again Steve.
terry2

Postby Burgerman » 22 Sep 2021, 21:05

I haven't found a place or shop that can't take my chair.
The comfort when traveling is awesome. The suspension is soooooo good.

Because its a scooter that doesent work properly inside. Thats why we use powerchairs.
I was limited to where I could go in my Puma 40.
It would not travel over farmers land with out getting stuck.
It would only do about 50 mile with my 170ah pack.

Because powerchairs are designed to work properly INDOORS thats why they use tank steer which compromises range. For those of us that are disabled thats essential. Its why there are many times more powerchairs than myra rear steer scooters.
It over heated when doing 8 MPH for an hour.

Bull.

The time a powerchair overheats or rather its controller overheats is when it draws high currents. That when accelerating, hill climbing, zero turning. Traveling at max speed on the flat draws very little current. And it is the SAME controller used by the myra.

Oviously because its a scooter, and so doesent waste as much power. The very reason its crap indoors. Too big with too heavy batteries and no tank steer capability. Great outdoors. Useless indoors.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby steves1977uk » 22 Sep 2021, 22:38

Try visiting small rooms in Castles and the likes in your scooter Terry. Oh wait, you can't because you can't do zero turns in tight places. :lol: That's where you fail to understand a scooter is useless for indoors. :wave:

And you paid far too much for your Puma 40 motors. You were had by the short and curlies. I get a PAIR of motors for around £1000 and have family and friends help me fit them since I have all the tools to do so. :thumbup:

Sorry BM for sounding annoyed, but Terry fails to grasps powerchairs are needed for small areas like the bungalow I live in which Rover has seen.

Steve
steves1977uk

Postby Dan » 22 Sep 2021, 23:00

If you can help it didn't jump into anything to fast. Have a good read and educate yourself. Most standard powerchairs with 74Ah MK batteries will travel 10 miles+ but that will depend on how heavy you are, how often you stop and start and the type of terrain.
MWD mid wheel drive chairs tend to have shitty suspension.

Don't rule out a second hand chair https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/solutions-mo ... 74qp&gbr=1

Also check out your local gumtree.
NEVER pay the asking price for a new chair.
I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude.
Dan

Postby duke1 » 22 Sep 2021, 23:06

steves1977uk wrote:Try visiting small rooms in Castles and the likes in your scooter Terry. Oh wait, you can't because you can't do zero turns in tight places. :lol: That's where you fail to understand a scooter is useless for indoors. :wave:

And you paid far too much for your Puma 40 motors. You were had by the short and curlies. I get a PAIR of motors for around £1000 and have family and friends help me fit them since I have all the tools to do so. :thumbup:

Sorry BM for sounding annoyed, but Terry fails to grasps powerchairs are needed for small areas like the bungalow I live in which Rover has seen.

Steve

hi i believe terry is including fitting cost and this included adaptor cables and supply and fit the pair of 8mph 4 pole amt motors so i quite understand the cost,though i must admit there bloody good motors and the chair still drives sweet,rather have a pair of the 8mph in mine i built but cant afford the cost,cheers
duke1

Postby steves1977uk » 22 Sep 2021, 23:27

I agree duke that AMT motors are excellent, my last set cost me £150 used off ebay although I had the grease replaced in the gearboxes, but they still run ok. The set before that cost £750 brand new in 2013 and are still running today. :thumbup: Want to get another new set but can't seem to find them unless I go Linix.

Steve
steves1977uk

Postby Burgerman » 23 Sep 2021, 01:36

Steve

Yes. I woudnt and couldnt give one a second though because I am disabled and need proper indoor capability most. They dont move right for indoors. Too big to drive from, etc. If only wanted for outdoors still wouldnt as rear steer offends my mechanical sensibilities. I might turn the seat around and reprogram though for outdoors. But if I need to go far I just use my van.

It might suit the original poster though. We dont know needs/disability etc.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby terry2 » 23 Sep 2021, 07:04

steves1977uk wrote:Try visiting small rooms in Castles and the likes in your scooter Terry. Oh wait, you can't because you can't do zero turns in tight places. :lol: That's where you fail to understand a scooter is useless for indoors. :wave:

Steve

I had a 2 tank steer chairs before getting my up to date chair.

Everyone has different needs.
When I get taken out, I use a push wheelchair that I bought myself.
So. I have the best of both worlds. Which is what I wanted.

The only reason you call it a scooter is because BM does ;)
But. Show me a scooter with front wheel drive and a real rack and pinion steer. I'll wait. :lol:
terry2

Postby Dan » 23 Sep 2021, 07:07

terry2 wrote:I have a Meyra Optimus 2 chair.

How often do you use taxis with it? Or public transport? Do you use it inside much? Like cafés, restaurants and shopping?
I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude.
Dan

Postby terry2 » 23 Sep 2021, 07:08

Burgerman wrote:
snip

LROBBINS had over heating problems with the same system.
So not bull.

I use a push wheelchair inside my place and when people take me out.
terry2

Postby terry2 » 23 Sep 2021, 07:19

Dan wrote:
terry2 wrote:I have a Meyra Optimus 2 chair.

How often do you use taxis with it? Or public transport? Do you use it inside much? Like cafés, restaurants and shopping?

I use it all the time when I go out on my own.
As said. I use a push wheelchair when people take me out to restaurants ECT.

I don't have a problem in shops\doctors ect

As I have a 170ah pack. I have no need for public transport.(I can do 100 mile)
That's the whole point of this chair. You don't need public transport.

I planned a trip to Fairy Glen from solihull in my chair.
But the chinese virus put a stop to it.

I do remember when I had my Puma 40. I had to wait till a bus came with a empty chair spot.
Or the bus driver parked to far from the curb so I couldn't get on\off the bus.
terry2

Postby Burgerman » 23 Sep 2021, 07:23

As I have a 170ah pack.

He means he built a large lithium battery for it.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Sunflowers1990 » 23 Sep 2021, 21:30

I just wanted to say thanks for all the chat on my post it has been really interesting reading /debating on the pros and cons.
In truth I think I was looking for. Wheelchair/Scooter hybrid.

I just got back from London on TravelScoot, the four wheel suspension looks mighty desirable right now with the back ache I have from traveling.

I did some research and the Optimus Myera. It meets the specification for just about every type of overground train and London bus. The little local buses are a no but with the added power I could just drive myself or catch the train.

I'm very fortunate that with the leg braces I can get around okay inside, so this purchase is for outdoor use only. I also work from home full time so my leaving the house is for essential purchases or fun which has been one of the best decisions I have made in terms of which I can tolerate in a day.

On the day I borrow the Myera I'm going to go to every awkward location I can think of in the local town and reflect on everything on this thread.

It is the tires they just look so sturdy and safe especially against the inconsistent gaps on the underground.

Updates to follow : )

Thanks again X
Sunflowers1990

Postby Jay_x » 24 Sep 2021, 00:32

terry2 wrote:
steves1977uk wrote:Except

Steve

100 miles? what? Did you put lithium batteries in there?
Jay_x

Postby Burgerman » 24 Sep 2021, 02:07

He did.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby davidpaul » 24 Sep 2021, 15:43

I know there are RWD lovers on here but I wouldn't have one for outdoor use, we had one here for two weeks our son refused to use it after a rather dangerous trip to school, the path we were on had a side slope and when my son turned to use the lowered kerb the rear wheels lost grip and my son ended up in the road, thankfully there were no cars but that was it for my lad and rear wheel drive, we have some uneven paths around us and the worst thing with them when traveling down hill and on uneven surface the drive wheels can loose grip and away you go out of control.

FWD and MWD for outdoor use(if your an adventuress outdoor type) all wheelchairs have there good and bad bits but the RWD layout is a poor design in my view
davidpaul

Postby Burgerman » 24 Sep 2021, 16:02

Thats because every single rear drive chair has the CG way too far forwards with most of the weight over the front caster. And so thats exactly what happens. It also means that they are about a mile too long with your feet ahead of the front casters so that when they are "reversed" they miss your heels. And to do that the seat must be located far too far forwards.

Its essential on a rear drive chair to do 3 things.

1. Have or fit a CENTRE mount single footplate. Preferably narrow at the rear.
2. Move the seating back until the CG is much further rearwards and so your backside is over the rear wheels more and your heels sit between the two caser wheels.
3. Reprogram the thing so that it steers properly.

Then in a similar situation a rear wheel never Loses traction. Although a front caster may dangle in mid air instead. But so what. It also makes it much shorter indoors.

READ the details on my salsa and on my Q700 chair. DETAILS matter. Take your time.
https://www.wheelchairdriver.com/board/ ... 00#p122818
And...
https://www.wheelchairdriver.com/board/ ... 33#p171026
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby steves1977uk » 25 Sep 2021, 11:06

davidpaul wrote:I know there are RWD lovers on here but I wouldn't have one for outdoor use, we had one here for two weeks our son refused to use it after a rather dangerous trip to school, the path we were on had a side slope and when my son turned to use the lowered kerb the rear wheels lost grip and my son ended up in the road, thankfully there were no cars but that was it for my lad and rear wheel drive, we have some uneven paths around us and the worst thing with them when traveling down hill and on uneven surface the drive wheels can loose grip and away you go out of control.

FWD and MWD for outdoor use(if your an adventuress outdoor type) all wheelchairs have there good and bad bits but the RWD layout is a poor design in my view

Did those RWD chairs your son had come with solid tyres? Those will never grip and lose traction which is why I stick to pneumatic tyres with lowered PSI at 10 to 15.

I use RWD outdoors and have no issues since mine is a short base frame. A properly configured one can do everything a MWD and FWD does, sometimes better.

Take a manual chair and push it as fast as you can like a FWD setup, let go and watch it correct itself to RWD setup. Can't beat physics.

Steve
steves1977uk

Postby Burgerman » 25 Sep 2021, 11:16

You dont need to push it away fast. Just gently Backwards. Just a slow push on a smooth outdoor surface like a gymnasium or somewhere with no carpet. It will swap ends and end up going forwards. In a straight line. Every time. And thats the problem with all front drive powerchairs. They are naturally directionally unstable. With a gyro saving the situation all of the time behind the scenes by rapidly correcting left/right as needed. But this takes priority. So if you drive like I do its extremely noicable in the way the chair is able to respond to my input. So even in a straight line, if that chair is already using "full stick" to keep you from spinning out theres nothing left for you. If you drive like my gran, and have the stock delayed action turn settings then its all so vague anyway that you might not be aware this is happening. But I cant drive any chair set up that way. So once programmed to have an instant safe proportional turn responce so that the chair does what YOU tell it, and more importantly WHEN you tell it then it becomes extremely problematic. I have tried several front drive chairs programmed properly and they all do the same thing. Because obviously you cant beat physics. You can try and hide it. And at low speeds this works reasonably well.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Next

Return to Everything Powerchair