Replacement tire for Frontier V6

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Replacement tire for Frontier V6

Postby MenCallMeGimpy » 06 Oct 2021, 19:36

I've got a question that's way beneath most of the experts here, but it's been surprisingly difficult to get a straight answer from the Goog or my local DME (surprise surprise).

The tire on one of my My MM Frontier V6's drive wheels has a puncture. More of a slash, really, that left a gaping hole in the tire and, presumably, the inner tube. Trying to get a replacement has proven to be way more trouble than I ever expected. The DME wants $300 (for transportation and "assessment") + the cost of the repair. This seems a pretty steep for something that, in my fit-and-able days, I would have been able to do in about fifteen minutes for $20.

So, here are my questions: (The wheel is what Magic Mobility call "hybrid," so it looks like a 14x3 tire should do it.)

(1) Can I buy any 14x3 tire/tube and expect it will fit, or are there additional parameters that need to be considered?
(2) Any recommendations on tire/tube brand/model, particularly puncture-resistant ones. I want to stay with pneumatic, since solid and foam-filled wheels are back-breaking on badly-maintained L.A. sidewalks, but am hoping for something a bit more resilient than the stock tires.
(3) Am I right in assuming the replacement process is basically the same as a bicycle tire? I ask, because so many online stores seems to sell only complete wheel/tire assemblies (at exorbitant markups), that I'm concerned there's some "no user serviceable parts" nonsense going on that I don't know about.

Thanks for the help!
MenCallMeGimpy

Re: Replacement tire for Frontier V6

Postby Burgerman » 06 Oct 2021, 19:57

A 14 x 3 tyre is the way the ignorant would describe it. Like the mobility industry. They are refeing to the overall "size" of the wheel/tyre.

The ACTUAL tyre you are looking for should be a 300 x 8 or 3.00 x 8 tyre. This is the most common size used of full sized powerchairs. Theres many choices and options, many cheap chinese copies, in black or grey.

So not having seen you tyre I would check on its sidewall. It should say 3.00 x 8 on the side.

If so order any 3.00 x 8 tyre/tube on amazon/ebay/mobility dealer in black or grey. Takes 20 mins to fit.

E.G.https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254144368072

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264218450304

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/193361122560

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/173009511281
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby MenCallMeGimpy » 06 Oct 2021, 20:01

Thanks, John. Yeah, it seemed weird that the online stores list them as 14x3, when the spec and the tire wall itself says 3.00x8. That was a big part of my confusion, because I was starting to suspect there was some mystery to the designation that I wasn't understanding.
MenCallMeGimpy

Postby foghornleghorn » 06 Oct 2021, 20:09

I think the Magic wheels are all split rim so easier to get the tyre and tube on and off.

Make sure the tube valves you order are the same as already on there. Probably wants right angle ones but double check.
foghornleghorn

Postby swalker » 07 Oct 2021, 00:49

You probably already know this, but be cautious getting tires from a DME.

My DME wanted to charge me almost $1,000 for a new pair of drive wheels on a Permobil C500. These were the same size you are looking for.

Stunned, I did a bit of research and found the same tires online for about $100 per pair.

It turns out my DME did not want to change the tires, so they were going to order an entire new set of wheels with the tires already mounted on them.

We ordered the tires online and my friend (former bicycle mechanic) changed them in about an hour.

Steve
Permobil F5 Corpus 3G
Permobil C500s VS
Permobil C500 Corpus 3G
Permobil C350 Corpus 3G
Magic Mobility X4 with 176 Ah LiFePO4
swalker

Postby Burgerman » 07 Oct 2021, 01:10

I put a full set inc spare, alloy split rims that are 19" x 9J with a set of pirelli P zeros on them onto my van for around that price.

1000 dollars for 2 tiny wheels/tyres is already mental.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Rollin Positive » 07 Oct 2021, 03:59

MenCallMeGimpy wrote:

A couple of questions is the v6 your main chair? Are you on Medicare or Medicaid...whos your DME?

The reason I ask is some have a v6 as a 2nd chair but use another in the house...if its a primary chair and you are on Medicaid or Medicare the DME will replace the tire and tube or flat free inserts for minimal cost your cost would be 20% tops

Are you talking knobby tires

Because hybrid are like these:

If you are on medicare they cant charge an assessment charge just labor and parts

What has worked for me for years is to find a local bicycle shop introduce yourself and ask them if they are ok with adding tires and tubes and silicone (flat free)

I have local shop they change drive tires every year and new tubes and silicone on all 6 tires for $30

When your getting a tire try and look for Kendra the other tires will leave a larger black residue on the floors and have a strong rubber odor that takes months to rid

Monster parts are a great place to buy

https://www.monsterscooterparts.com/cat ... %80%906%29
Rollin Positive

Postby MenCallMeGimpy » 07 Oct 2021, 05:39

swalker wrote:
It turns out my DME did not want to change the tires, so they were going to order an entire new set of wheels with the tires already mounted on them.

I was getting a lot of that "you have to buy the whole assembly" nonsense, which is why I asked if there was some magic that made chair tires unreplaceable. The only "magic" I could see was the trick of making large amounts of my cash disappear into the DMEs pocket. They really are the worst parasites.
MenCallMeGimpy

Postby MenCallMeGimpy » 07 Oct 2021, 05:51

Rollin Positive wrote:
MenCallMeGimpy wrote:

A couple of questions is the v6 your main chair? Are you on Medicare or Medicaid...whos your DME?

I'm not on Medicare/aid, so I'm a prime target for DMEs to gouge for every buck they can get. I try to do as much work on my chair as I can, because handing it over to them is just asking to be robbed.

The DME in my area that seems to get every manufacturer's business is Sherman Oaks Medical. I have no idea why they're the top choice, because everything they've done for me has either been hugely overpriced, badly executed, or both.

It's the hybrid tires in your second pic I'm looking for. I use those wheels for most in-town stuff, only swapping to the big balloon tires for off-road adventures.
MenCallMeGimpy

Postby MenCallMeGimpy » 07 Oct 2021, 05:53

foghornleghorn wrote:Make sure the tube valves you order are the same as already on there. Probably wants right angle ones but double check.

Will do! Thanks for the tip.
MenCallMeGimpy

Postby expresso » 07 Oct 2021, 22:26

try to find used Rims on ebay for your chair -

then you can buy your own tires and tube sealant etc,

a bike shop can do it if they wanted - i do the same here - i bring them my rim tire and tube - they do the work - i install them at home - i add the sealant also myself - thats the best way to have a extra set of tires rims mounted ready to go - no DME involved
Quickie 636 - 230ah LifePo4
expresso

Postby Rollin Positive » 08 Oct 2021, 16:56

FYI the knobby tires on easily fit in a 29" doorway because I did a video rolling in to my van with a 29" ramp and can use mine in my house if I wanted and my doorways are 28"

youtu.be/WFmYGwV2ufI

Check also with your private insurance some allow a back up chair to be serviced and the cover...

This is a nationwide DME might try them they are close for other work..

https://goo.gl/maps/GCS9to45DhUnJ9CF6

https://goo.gl/maps/b14tW63mo8jPSDy98

https://goo.gl/maps/6bZusMW5dzhiTSgG9

Bike shops in the area...

https://goo.gl/maps/sgnxBxb2dhDYoScD8

https://goo.gl/maps/sbMnRBJbejery9DE9

https://goo.gl/maps/gX3qLndvYwTpob4Y9
Rollin Positive

Postby MenCallMeGimpy » 08 Oct 2021, 18:52

expresso wrote:try to find used Rims on ebay for your chair -

Great idea! I just picked up a pair of wheels with tires on ebay for under $200. I'll fit those myself and keep the old ones as spares.

Thanks!
MenCallMeGimpy

Postby expresso » 08 Oct 2021, 19:07

MenCallMeGimpy wrote:
expresso wrote:try to find used Rims on ebay for your chair -

Great idea! I just picked up a pair of wheels with tires on ebay for under $200. I'll fit those myself and keep the old ones as spares.

Thanks!

best thing you can do - saves downtime if and when you need to change them - i have two sets of tires mounted as spares - the odds of both going bad at once are rare - never happened yet - the tires i use are so strong -they lasted me close to 5 years -

if you get a flat or wear them out - swap them yourself in the house - then bring it to the bike shop to install new tires tubes etc, done -

waiting on DME - forget it - and they dont even change tubes or tires that way really - they would order new tires and rims already mounted - would take a month to get them - thats how i got a few extra spare rims though
expresso

Postby MenCallMeGimpy » 08 Oct 2021, 19:11

Rollin Positive wrote:FYI the knobby tires on easily fit in a 29" doorway because I did a video rolling in to my van with a 29" ramp and can use mine in my house if I wanted and my doorways are 28"

The chair with off-road tires is 27.953" wide, according to MM's spec, so while technically possible to get through a 28" opening, tolerances are extremely tight. Even a 29" door is pushing it: with only 1/2" either side you have to be careful.

And that's with ideal doors. In my case, the bedroom door is in the corner of the room, so the door only opens 90° before hitting the wall, meaning it intrudes 1"+ into the frame. Using the hybrid wheels makes navigating this space much easier.

Also, I load my chair into my van using a Backpacker 2 lift. It's 27" wide, so there's no chance the fat tires will fit.

Thanks for the DME links. I'll check them out and see if I can free myself from the disappointment that is Sherman Oaks Medical.
MenCallMeGimpy

Postby Burgerman » 08 Oct 2021, 19:59

When actually measured the X5 and V6 and V4 chairs are a fraction wider than 28 inches. Because of the low pressure tyre bulge at the bottom. Actually measured between 2 bits of wood in my kitchen. And while it does go IN a dodge minivan, (I tested it) you cannot get in easily first time every time and the casters jam on the ramp if you need to reposition And you cannot get square on to the steering wheel either. So while possible, its not exactly ideal. Same in my house. 30 inch doors. But you need to be very careful and properly lined up. I couldnt live like that every day. You need a bit of space. A few inches either side to make it easy. And its not just the width. Those things are long too. Feel a bit too much indoors.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby swalker » 08 Oct 2021, 20:38

expresso wrote:waiting on DME - forget it - and they dont even change tubes or tires that way really - they would order new tires and rims already mounted - would take a month to get them - thats how i got a few extra spare rims though

I live where it snows a lot. The best wheelchair snow tires I have found are the Permobil snow tires. I have not found a non-Permobil branded equivalent.

In the US, Permobil will not sell directly to customers. Their products are only available through DMEs.

When I needed new snow tires, I ordered a set through my local DME (NuMotion). From the time I placed the order until the time the tires showed up was 3 months.

Even through the tires were for a wheelchair that is not supported by insurance, NuMotion had to submit the order through insurance to get a denial before they would order the tires. It is just unbelievable what we have to put up with in the US for medical equipment purchase and support.

I have learned to never buy anything from a DME that I can get elsewhere.

Steve
Permobil F5 Corpus 3G
Permobil C500s VS
Permobil C500 Corpus 3G
Permobil C350 Corpus 3G
swalker

Postby Burgerman » 08 Oct 2021, 20:42

What do they look like? It will likely be just a rebrand of some chineseum brand. Everything permobil do seems to be to make you:
A) BUY FROM THEM
B) MAKE A HUGE PROFIT FROM SUPPLYING CHEAPER STUFF

Sorry caps... :problem:
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby swalker » 12 Oct 2021, 19:29

I have not yet found out who makes the Permobil snow tire, despite extensive searching.

Here is a link to the snow tire, so you can see what I am talking about. If anyone find another source for it, please let me know!

https://order-uk.permobil.com/en/produc ... y--1825108

Steve
Permobil F5 Corpus 3G
Permobil C500s VS
Permobil C500 Corpus 3G
Permobil C350 Corpus 3G
swalker

Postby expresso » 12 Oct 2021, 19:34

dosnt look much different than my bounder tire - different size though -

its a state secret -
expresso

Postby Dan » 12 Oct 2021, 21:33

swalker wrote:I have not yet found out who makes the Permobil snow tire, despite extensive searching.

I guess if you wanted to waste some more time you could try some Canadian dealers. I hear they can get a little bit of snow up there.
I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude.
Dan

Postby foghornleghorn » 13 Oct 2021, 09:29

swalker wrote:I have not yet found out who makes the Permobil snow tire, despite extensive searching.

Here is a link to the snow tire, so you can see what I am talking about. If anyone find another source for it, please let me know!

https://order-uk.permobil.com/en/produc ... y--1825108

Steve

CST - Cheng Shin Rubber Ind. Co. Ltd. (Cheng Shin Tire).

C9322 seems to be a tread pattern made specifically for Permobil, or they are misnumbering it so nobody can identify what it is.
foghornleghorn

Postby Burgerman » 13 Oct 2021, 09:55

They do the same nonsense with control systems. And now also new fancy batteries and "matched" 10A charger.

They are claiming a relatively cheap AGM made in cheap china with their name on it, and a "special" charger (that isnt!) thats "10A capable" and go together. Since the charger is marked AGM/Gel capable its no different to all the other cheap 3 stage "charge anything" generic chargers other than being 10A instead of 8. Which other manufacturers have been doing for years.

They insinuate that these are somehow different and special and matched by permobil. They are made to "work together". Need a battery? You must buy theirs... as your charger is "meant" for it. Nonsense. Need a charger? Only their "special" 10A charger is capable of charging their special battery at 10A. Also nonsense. They dont actually say this is true as such, but insinuate it with the way this 10A charger and battery is marketed. And its all designed to make you buy these things and rely on permobil. Not quite a scam. But certainly deceptive marketing.

The reality is that they found a cheap supplier of half decent deep cycle batteries in china, and also figured out that if you charge FASTER you get longer to complete the slow part of the charge overnight. So it lasts longer, more cycles. But thats true of any charger and battery... MK for e.g, specify 23A is best for cyclic use on their grp24 gel battery. Odyssey, no limit at all, and as high as possible. Its all permobil marketing bollox.

Some people believe all this marketing nonsense because they do not understand the technical realities of how things really work. So newer stuff or marketing hype = better chair for them... After all its all magic in there isnt it? :lol:
Burgerman
Site Admin

Return to Everything Powerchair