Portable heater

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Portable heater

Postby fishinjunky » 22 Nov 2021, 18:34

Does anyone else freeze in cold weather even if bundled up. I hate cold weather makes me tight an shake an I can't drive my chair.
This is just a thought but has anyone thought about building a lithium battery pack that you can put in a backpack on your chair just for powering a very small portable heater that I would mount on my chair.
Invacare tdx sp
Bounder 300M 200ah lifepo4
fishinjunky

Re: Portable heater

Postby fishinjunky » 22 Nov 2021, 18:57

Thank you great idea!!! I just ordered a heated scarf. Scarf should be enough since I can only feel from the top of my shoulders up no feeling below
Invacare tdx sp
fishinjunky

Postby ex-Gooserider » 23 Nov 2021, 02:05

Might or might not be enough - remember that even if you can't feel them the parts below your injury level still sort of work and have the same reactions to stuff like cold... However it is definitely worth a try... Also worth making sure that you bundle up all of your body as it will get cold even if you don't feel it...

That said, it may well work for you that adding any supplemental heat will help by making up for what you use. (Also to maximize the benefit of any heated garments they should be close to your skin w/ insulating layers over them....)

ex-Gooserider
T-5, ASIA-B
Jazzy 1100
Jazzy Select 6
Quickie Q-7
Invacare Mariner
Want to make / get a better chair, ideally one that stands.
ex-Gooserider

Postby sacharlie » 23 Nov 2021, 03:25

The scarf should be OK but be careful of the jacket with heating wires between your back and seat back for burns.
For shirts, pants and jacket check out silk clothing.
sacharlie

Postby slomobile » 23 Nov 2021, 19:37

I wear these https://www.fatiguesarmynavy.com/appare ... -overalls/
Wool, warm, wicking, works when wet. Love the central chest pocket for phone, keys, card. Thick fabric distributes pressure from chair edges like bottom of joystick mount,
I never have to worry about my shirt riding up or pants down. Picks up pet hair unfortunately.

All the skin below your injury still has blood flow that dissipates body heat Insulate that skin, your core temp stays higher, and maybe you can avoid wearing something else.
Be careful if you try those disposable hand warmers. We took them camping and my wife's didn't work at all and my son's burned him.
slomobile

Postby Rollin Positive » 24 Nov 2021, 20:04

Like anything use with caution but with battery technology improving we can get 3-8 hours use based on settings and when we know going to colder areas can take extra batteries packs.

most devices also have 3 settings.
Rollin Positive

Postby biscuit » 25 Nov 2021, 19:26

...should be enough since I can only feel from the top of my shoulders up no feeling below

Warm is warm whether you can feel it or not! (and so is far too hot.) I have a heat mat like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09M8KF9S2/ ... EQ803PM0KD
that I sit on. My one has two warmth settings, but it cost less than a tenner.
biscuit

Postby Burgerman » 26 Nov 2021, 17:14

Since my dog died, I have no sane reason to go out when its cold. Stay in, or use a van. Way better than being cold.

With remote start, you can hi the button. Wait 5 mins while the engine warms, the heater warms the van. Then you just do front door to warm vehicle! But I dont drive on salted roads for fear of tin worm...
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby martin007 » 26 Nov 2021, 17:37

When it's cold, the sensible thing to do is to stay indoors.
martin007

Postby Chairman » 26 Nov 2021, 21:07

No such thing as cold, just the wrong clothing. I go out every day come rain or shine just because I enjoy it. Goose down jackets with various levels of insulation depending on the level of cold, 1 for summer evenings, 1 for autumn and 2 for winter depending on the Celsius figure. In winter I also wear goose down trousers and boots. I wear gloves and a hat too and I am absolutely toasty. Once back indoors I continue to wear the jacket for a good few minutes to acclimatise or taking it off too quickly results in feeling cold.

I regularly go out for an average of 5 miles a day with no ill effects. Without the gear I wouldn't last a minute without screaming in pain. With my AirPods in its unbeatable for shutting out the world.
Chairman

Postby swalker » 26 Nov 2021, 22:37

Chairman wrote:No such thing as cold, just the wrong clothing.

Chairman, I understand what you are saying and used to believe it as well. However, I now know there are some conditions where no amount of insulation will do the trick.

Vasospacticity (such as that caused by Raynaud's disease) prevents blood from flowing to affected areas (often hands and feet). I have Raynaud's (secondary to other conditions) and can confirm that there is no amount of insulation that will keep the affected body parts warm. It absolutely requires an external source of heat.

I live where the winters are long and somewhat cold. Our winter season typically lasts for about 6 months. Much of the riding I do during the winter season are with temperatures below freezing (often, well below freezing). Cold really affects my ability to control my muscles and the Raynaud's disease makes me much more susceptible to cold.

On cold days, I wear a winter mountaineering suit, which consists of down filled bib overalls and a heavy down jacket. Both have baffled (rather than sewn through) construction to avoid cold spots and both have a gore tex exterior. Even when I wear another down jacket underneath that I still get uncontrollably cold.

I have found that chemical hand and foot warmer packs really help. I have not tried electrically heated garments, but may give that a try in the future.

Steve
Permobil F5 Corpus 3G
Permobil C500s VS
Permobil C500 Corpus 3G
Permobil C350 Corpus 3G
Magic Mobility X4 with 176 Ah LiFePO4
swalker

Postby fishinjunky » 27 Nov 2021, 14:17

i did get out some yesterday. I put some hand warmer packs the kind you activate. In a scarf around my neck and one of the packs fell down my shirt and i didnt realize it. It burned me pretty bad i have huge blisters all down my side i couldnt feel it.
Invacare tdx sp
fishinjunky

Postby fishinjunky » 27 Nov 2021, 14:19

Burgerman wrote:Since my dog died, I have no sane reason to go out when its cold. Stay in, or use a van. Way better than being cold.

With remote start, you can hi the button. Wait 5 mins while the engine warms, the heater warms the van. Then you just do front door to warm vehicle! But I dont drive on salted roads for fear of tin worm...

yea i just take the van now an have it close to get in an warm up if out
Invacare tdx sp
fishinjunky

Postby swalker » 27 Nov 2021, 19:27

fishinjunky wrote:i did get out some yesterday. I put some hand warmer packs the kind you activate. In a scarf around my neck and one of the packs fell down my shirt and i didnt realize it. It burned me pretty bad i have huge blisters all down my side i couldnt feel it.

For anyone considering using chemical hand and/or foot warmers, please be sure the heed the warnings on the packs. They should not be used where there is the potential they could be in contact with body parts that don't have adequate sensation of heat.

Where loss of feeling heat is an issue, using an alternative such as the electric garments discussed earlier in this thread would be a much better and safer idea.

I do use my van more in the winter to get out of the house, but I still enjoy riding around in my wheelchair even when it is cold and there is a lot of snow on the ground.

Steve
Permobil F5 Corpus 3G
Permobil C500s VS
Permobil C500 Corpus 3G
Permobil C350 Corpus 3G
Magic Mobility X4 with 176 Ah LiFePO4
swalker

Return to Everything Powerchair