Circuit Breaker

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Circuit Breaker

Postby expresso » 03 Jan 2022, 03:39

Strange thing has been happening

i had a Circuit Breaker 80A those cheap inline for Audio stuff really - i was using it on my load bump so i can push the button to stop it easier -

while using it - it has been tripping - the load dump is only pulling 35A it shouldnt trip - so i figure ok its a cheap thing i paid 12 dollars

so i ordered a different kind on amazon - 60A - i figured it should be enough either way - i am not pulling more than 35A even 40A at the very most but the watt meter shows 34A to 36A at times so even a 60A breaker should not trip - but it did

i did a return - i reordered a Bussman this time 120A - i figure i can use it for a chair also in case i ever needed -

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01G5 ... UTF8&psc=1

this one below 60A is the one i had and returning it tomorrow

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09CY ... UTF8&psc=1

is there anything wrong that i am missing here - it should have been fine -

I have a 100A one on my Chair - first one i did with the 105ah pack - 6 years and working fine - never tripped - as it shouldnt - chair dosnt pull that much - if it does very short - remember the stock fuses on the chairs are 80A with the lead batteries

is there anything wrong with this that i dont see in the specs etc,

i though maybe i connected it in reverse - so i turned it around and reconnected the wiring - same thing - it worked both ways and tripped both ways
Quickie 636 - 230ah LifePo4
expresso

Re: Circuit Breaker

Postby expresso » 03 Jan 2022, 03:48

https://www.waytekwire.com/item/48995/M ... ace-Mount/

this is the one i got on my first chair i did - been fine since day one -

i got the bussman now because its on amazon and will get it this week - i think the brand bussman is a good one -

i guess it worth getting the brand name -

i am now running the load cump with out one - have to pull apart the XT90 when i want to stop it - reason for getting the breaker with the push button to stop it easier and faster
expresso

Postby Burgerman » 03 Jan 2022, 04:19

A 60A breaker SHOULD in theory trip at 61A after many hours...

Those things use a bi-metalic strip. They are a resistor, that when hot enough springs back "over centre" and breaks the circuit. Dirty or oxidised contacts make more heat and they trip early. Cables warm? That causes them to trip too.

They can take very large currents for short periods. 2 to 4 times the rated current. But they are affected by heat. They are therefore highly inaccurate. They trip slower if its colder outdoors. With heavier cables. And faster indoors where its warm. Faster again if not bolted to something to act as a heat sink. So sit one on a towel as a nice insulator and it will trip at half its rated current. I dont trust them at all in a powerchair. Use a 150A fuse.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby expresso » 03 Jan 2022, 04:34

i didnt think it would trip unless your pulling more than 60A

so if the wire gets too hot - it affects it also - i would think it does but not if your only pulling 35A

in my first chair - 100A i linked to - i have that one there - so far never tripped -

i have a 125A fuse on my new chair pack

i have 100A fuse on my ADD ons -

but the bounder comes with a breaker also - and its 70A :o

which i though is very low - can only mean that its not pulling 70A at all then - to me strange - i was told long ago - that they didnt use Rnet 120 because it wasnt enough for the bounder -

now i find out mines has a 70A breaker and new Bounders have a 120A breaker with Rnet 120 - so i was bullshitted back then i guess -

either way - i went for it for the speed which is great - i can only wonder how this chair would feel now with the Rnet 120 instead -

and wonder it will be - because it wont happen now - dont think i be doing another bounder anytime soon or if at all - this may be my first and last -

not because i dont like it - i like it for what it can do - and its not my only chair -

the only reason i added a breaker to this load dump is so its easier for my girl here to push a button in any event something is wrong or need to stop it fast -

which i just did reached down to 2.9V fast - its a small pack 45ah headway - i figure i cycle it a bit - and test the breaker at the same time

i will recharge it tomorrow full - and cycle it again when i get the new 120A breaker friday - if that trips also - then i give up -
expresso

Postby Burgerman » 03 Jan 2022, 05:29

but the bounder comes with a breaker also - and its 70A :o

which i though is very low - can only mean that its not pulling 70A at all then - to me strange - i was told long ago - that they didnt use Rnet 120 because it wasnt enough for the bounder -

You did not read or listen. You can take 3 or 4x that 70A for short periods.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby expresso » 03 Jan 2022, 05:34

yes i read that - but for only short periods 30s maybe etc,

but for the most part 95 percent of the time its not pulling anywhere near 70A

it may be setup when under load or uphill - it drops even less to keep it below 70A mark way below -
expresso

Postby Burgerman » 03 Jan 2022, 09:15

Correct. But the R-net can pull 240A at times. INTERMITTENTLY and thats up to 10 secs AT THE MOTORS. Thats only for maybe 1 second at the battery. And far less often. Motor amps is not the same as battery amps! The difference between motor and battery amps depends on the motor resistance/impedance and the chairs speed while under max load.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Return to Everything Powerchair