Trouble in the Bronx ??

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Re: Trouble in the Bronx ??

Postby steves1977uk » 17 Apr 2022, 19:11

On my chair, the female D-Sub connects straight to the cells and is housed in a waterproof cover on the outside of the battery box. No worries of any wires rubbing or touching. A simple solution like that would be all you need expresso. No need to overthink things. czy :thumbup:

Steve
steves1977uk

Postby expresso » 17 Apr 2022, 19:39

steves1977uk wrote:On my chair, the female D-Sub connects straight to the cells and is housed in a waterproof cover on the outside of the battery box. No worries of any wires rubbing or touching. A simple solution like that would be all you need expresso. No need to overthink things. czy :thumbup:

Steve

all i need is you here with me so you can figure it out for me - then i be set - i make you a nice espresso

yes your right - your the man :thumbup:

when it shorts on you during a 40 miles ride - you may think different - if you stay close by or in the home mostly - not too bad - no worries -

waterproof cover - good idea - you have a link to what you have ?

time for eye exam here - good idea to get it done once a year -
Quickie 636 - 230ah LifePo4
expresso

Postby expresso » 17 Apr 2022, 19:41

LROBBINS wrote:After multiple cases of pinched wires in moving machinery (and lots of magic smoke) I have taken to using a dab of my favorite - Goop a.k.a. E6000 - to tack wires down so they stay in place.

For my last bit of chair wiring I found an Aliexpress seller for fiberglass-covered, silicone-insulated wire. Silicone insulation is very flexible and heat resistant, but easily cut, so I'd avoided it before this. With the fiberglass it seems much less damage prone. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001211751252.html?gatewayAdapt=glo2ita&spm=a2g0o.order_list.0.0.21ef36961rcZGP Though this page doesn't show it, they can also supply 10mm^2 and others.

i will check on those - will take my time to figure out a few sizes i may need - will order them - for the next time i made a charge cable etc, - cant hurt -

for now i will just try to reroute the whole cable differently - maybe from the front if i can - this way no bend no where - i have to check my chair now to see if i have an opening - thanks -
expresso

Postby steves1977uk » 17 Apr 2022, 21:23

My waterproof external box is similar to this... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254406147534 Just cut a hole for the cable and the female D-sub is tucked away safely until charge day. :thumbup: Bolt the box somewhere easily accessible.

Steve
steves1977uk

Postby expresso » 17 Apr 2022, 21:37

thanks

i think i will first see where i think i can put it - i think i will just velcro it down - tape it over on top nicely and leave it

i have a breaker that way just velcro on the other chair same area - no problems

if this chair has a opening for me to snake it in the same way - i may do that - there would be no bends and should be nothing in the way -

then my girls have to bend over to plug in and out - maybe its a good thing :D
expresso

Postby Burgerman » 17 Apr 2022, 23:25

I use velcro / velcro mounings, and cable ties.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby expresso » 17 Apr 2022, 23:32

Burgerman wrote:I use velcro / velcro mounings, and cable ties.

i have a breaker on my first chair with velcro - exposed under the seat in the front - years no issues - i will do the strong velcro again - and graphing tape i use over the top so it dosnt move when they connect and disconnect - they have to bend down now - summer is here - shorts bend now - i see cheeks in the future cheers

if i can get it to work this way - i want to check it later - look at the chair to see - how i can do that -
expresso

Postby Burgerman » 17 Apr 2022, 23:44

i see cheeks in the future cheers

Big fat black ones. Not my choice however! :shifty:
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby expresso » 17 Apr 2022, 23:46

haha - i dont have black workers though

i already feel i will have some work if i want to do that - i dont recall having an opening there to snake the wires in - i hope i am wrong - will go check later - and start making new balance wires -
expresso

Postby Burgerman » 17 Apr 2022, 23:58

I thought you did.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby expresso » 18 Apr 2022, 00:00

Burgerman wrote:I thought you did.

no all my girls are domenican - i never had a black girl yet working for me -
expresso

Postby expresso » 18 Apr 2022, 16:26

BM - is there any reason not to have a fuse closer to the Connector - SB50 ? i need to shorten the main cable - putting it closer will make it so it will be flat straight

this SB50 goes into the chairs main SB50 - thanks

maybe one day i find a nice Black Girl to work - the way things are lately - hard to find any workers now - i try to have the current girls help find - but its all dried up -

i did interview one black girl recently - but i didnt need anyone then - maybe as a back up - which i may call her back if she like to try that- she was nice

she didnt have a BIG ass - as you may picture - she had ass of course - but not like that :lol:
expresso

Postby Burgerman » 18 Apr 2022, 16:31

As close to the batt as possible is best but it will be OK as long as you understand its purpose. It exists to protect the battery cables. So if you manage to scrape the insulation off between the battery and the fuse it cant help you.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby expresso » 18 Apr 2022, 16:45

ok the new cable will be shorter now - maybe 8 inches or 12 total length - fuse closer to the connector

it wont be scrapping anything - if i put it back the same way - will be fine the main cables - it was the charge cable that i have to watch out now how i put it back - i will add some cushion on the motor mount area and around the opening where the charge cable will go thur - its a big enough opening - but it seems the cables ends up resting in a area where it can be damaged from scraping -

i have a small fuse holder - - i want to keep it straight so the wire don't have a bend right after the fuse Ring end is -

to route the new charge cable - it has to go in the same spot - but instead going in and snaking it back to the back of the pack and then plugged in

it will go in and right inside the pack - connect the wiring there and close the top cover - it wont or shouldnt be stressed or pinched - etc on my frame

that should be fine to lay it on top of the pack also ? i dont see why not - but if you do - let me know - thats the best easiest way to do it -

thanks
expresso

Postby Burgerman » 18 Apr 2022, 16:49

Put the fuse anywhere you want. Just be sure you route the cables proprly so that they wont be damaged.

As close to the batt as possible is best but it will be OK as long as you understand its purpose. It exists to protect the battery cables. So if you manage to scrape the insulation off between the battery and the fuse it cant help you.

I cant think of any other wy that its possible to explain this.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby expresso » 18 Apr 2022, 16:55

you dont have too - i got it the first time -

fuse anywhere - the only real issue i had was the routing of the charger cable - that was the issue that caused this
expresso

Postby shirley_hkg » 19 Apr 2022, 09:49

Burgerman wrote:As close to the batt as possible is best. It exists to protect the battery cables. So if you manage to scrape the insulation off between the battery and the fuse it cant help you.

It would be useless if short occurs BEFORE the fuse.

I always have it fused between 2 cells. The same with most chairs' original setup.
Attachments
IMG-20220419-WA0000.jpg
shirley_hkg

Postby expresso » 19 Apr 2022, 16:29

all this time from learning here - i always though it went on the Pos line for the Main 24V cable - thats where i have it - i am just making a shorter cable now - and put the fuse back in a different location closer to the SB50 connector - and snake it back in the pack

your right Shirley on most chairs - - the fuse or fuses are on the cables that connect both 12volt packs - since there are 2 batteries they have two fuses
expresso

Postby Burgerman » 19 Apr 2022, 18:14

It is in the main pos 24v line on many chairs. It can go between cells, between batts, or even in the neg wire. Some of my chairs dont actually have one. Never got around to it!

Its there to protect the cables in the event that something shorts them out. So no heat or fire. Its also there so that in the event that the power module fails in a shorted state that the cables dont melt. If the cables are big enough then the power module would be the fuse and go bang and smoke will come out.

The clser to the battery the better. The middle of the pack is OK too. Theoretically better. BUT it can make the graphs on the PL8 Look slightly odd. As it ads a little resistance between cell 4 and 5. And the balance wires go across that centre fuse.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby expresso » 19 Apr 2022, 18:21

Burgerman wrote:It is in the main pos 24v line on many chairs. It can go between cells, between batts, or even in the neg wire. Some of my chairs dont actually have one. Never got around to it!

on my first chair - i rode the whole first summer with no fuse either - i didnt know - it was a mistake - believing the chair was fused but i missed the fact that he batteries were fused - when i took them out - there goes the fuse haha

i survived a crash and no fuse chair for first summer on lithium - it was added after that - breaker on that one -

i will leave it on the Pos main cable as it is now - i will just shorten that cable and try to have the fuse where it lays straight before any bending

would it be wise to add a fuse on the charge cable that goes on the chair ?

i dont have fuses on that charge cable - i have the fuses on the Pl 8 charge cable - like the stock ones 40A on both lines but none on the cable on the chair side -
expresso

Postby Burgerman » 19 Apr 2022, 18:28

I dont. I should. 40A ideally with the PL8 and silicone 12guage.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby expresso » 19 Apr 2022, 18:37

Burgerman wrote:I dont. I should. 40A ideally with the PL8 and silicone 12guage.

wait - the charge cable female end with the holes that goes on the chair - that should be fused also ?

or just the Charge cable on the PL 8 end with the pins ?
expresso

Postby Burgerman » 19 Apr 2022, 18:53

Its a matter of opinion. It certainly would not hurt. It wouls need fusing as close to the batt as possible. But it would protect from a melted cable in the event the wires insulation was damaged, and it was shorted to the other one. And in the event the charge cable itself was damaged and shorted. Peronally I am just careful.

And theres no 12A fuse in a stock powerchairs cable or loom is there? They just make the cables well, route them correctly, and use quality protected charger cables. I do the same.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby expresso » 19 Apr 2022, 19:37

Now another though

with the ADD ON Cable i use on the bounder from the ADD ON to the bounder would that or should that have a fuse also ? the ADD ON does have a fuse - and the bounder is as stock -

if the ADD ON cable would short - would the fuse on my ADD ON protect or the bounder breaker protect etc, ?
expresso

Postby Burgerman » 19 Apr 2022, 22:13

if the ADD ON cable would short - would the fuse on my ADD ON protect or the bounder breaker protect etc, ?

The bounder breaker only connects between battery and power module. It has nothing to do with the charger wiring.
So the idea of the fuse in the addon cable, which should be next to the addon battery + output, or close to it is to stop a shorted addon cable from melting. As that cable is connected to the addon pack. If it is PLUGGED IN to the bounder, then if you short the cable then the bounder battery will feed power from the opposite end! So in that case the fuse (if you had one) on the chairs battery to addon connector will blow. AS WELL!

This will be a long thread if you dont READ the above s l o w l y. TWICE.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby expresso » 19 Apr 2022, 22:26

yes i agree long one here

let me say it over a different way

the bounder is stock - nothing was touched there

the ADD ON pack has a fuse on the Pos. near the battery side - that same wire with the fuse on the ADD ON cable gets connected to the ADD ON Cable and down to the bounder pack -

that cable from the ADD ON to the bounder has no fuse on it - the end connected to the ADD ON cable XT90 has a fuse - just the cable from the ADD ON down to the bounder does not - if i were to remove the ADD ON cable that connects both - that one is not fused -

if it were to short for some reason - the ADD ON pack with the fuse would cut power ?

what would the bounder pack do in that case - keep working or can trip the breaker on the bounder also ?

let me find a pic to explain - this whole thing is making me think things over with fuses on the charge cables also - never though about that - i never heard anything here about it -
expresso

Postby expresso » 19 Apr 2022, 22:34

here is the ADD ON - fuse on the main pos line that gets connected to the ADD ON Cable going to the bounder - the ADD ON cable is not fused

heres is the bounder connection - ADD ON pack and ADD ON cable that connects the two

soon i am goin to start on the new cable will add a 40A fuse this time on the battery end - i know the balance wires will be the same - but at least if those power lines make a short for some reason - fuse will stop it - chair still works - just wont charge then - i can swap it if that ever happens - with a spare cable already made in case

because of what happened i am looking at all the packs etc, this was a issue because of how the cable was routed - if it never happened i wouldnt be concerned - but it did so best to ask and see if i am missing something else
expresso

Postby expresso » 19 Apr 2022, 22:37

i have to start working on the cable soon - i made new balance leads - will make new XT90 with fuse 40A this time for the charge cable -

and shorten the Main larger cable with fuse 125A there - the help i have never done it before with me so will take a bit longer - i also havnt soldered in a while - hope i dont fuck it up now
expresso

Postby Burgerman » 19 Apr 2022, 22:37

yes i agree long one here

let me say it over a different way

the ADD ON pack has a fuse on the Pos. near the battery side -

And the confusion begins! WHICH battery the one in the chair or the one in the addon? You must be clear.
that same wire with the fuse on the ADD ON cable gets connected to the ADD ON Cable and down to the bounder pack -

That sentence makes no sense. I have no idea what it means,

that cable from the ADD ON to the bounder has no fuse on it - the end connected to the ADD ON cable XT90 has a fuse - just the cable from the ADD ON down to the bounder does not - if i were to remove the ADD ON cable that connects both - that one is not fused -

And this sentence must have been through a food mixer. What are you trying to say? Please think clearly before you type!

if it were to short for some reason - the ADD ON pack with the fuse would cut power ?

If WHAT were to short? And where is the fuse? Where is the short? Cut power from what? The bounder pack or the addon pack? Be descriptive!!!

what would the bounder pack do in that case - keep working or can trip the breaker on the bounder also ?

let me find a pic to explain - this whole thing is making me think things over with fuses on the charge cables also - never though about that - i never heard anything here about it -

EVERYTHING you needed to know, inc this last bit has already been answered in the post where I said read carefully and slowly.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 19 Apr 2022, 22:43

Look at it his way. You want a fuse between ANY source of power, a battery, and any cables.

Thats the ONLY thing you need to understand.
Burgerman
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Everything Powerchair