R-net controller lock up

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

R-net controller lock up

Postby Furio » 06 Jun 2022, 10:07

Hi All,

Today morning my wheelchair while stationary got locked up. It could not be unlocked from joystick .I tried using a spare joystick but to no avail .Though the controller comes on with either joystick it gets locked after 5 seconds. Finally I got the controller settings downloaded with dongle and unlocked it under the controller heading.

After using a minutes , the wheelchair again got locked up. banghead I never used the 3 minutes auto switch off.

Now, could someone enlighten me for this new behavior. Also is there any joystick key combinations to reset the controller instead of using the dongle. If it happens away from home one is seriously stranded. hanged
Furio

Re: R-net controller lock up

Postby Burgerman » 06 Jun 2022, 11:32

Are you sure its locked? And not a fault with a actuator or module or bus cable?

What joystik?
Do you have OEN access?
Hopefully not permobil, and so shold be easy to find and fix issue. You could read error log,clear it, and enable OBP for a start.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Furio » 06 Jun 2022, 17:22

Hi BM,

This controller 120A is a used one of a permobil bought from ebay. And joystick is an old CJSM. I removed it and used a new CJSM2, and the problem persists.I have an Rnet OEM dongle so I used it to unlock the controller in the first instance. Now I am resetting with the joystick itself.The controller locks up regardless of using actuators or while driving. Now I am scared of raising speed for, it stops unexpectedly.

In the fault log, there is no mention of lock up.Only under controller heading, the UNLOCK icon changes.

It has done only 1340 km after buying and changed permobil settings.

Am I witnessing the last pangs of the poor chap. czy
Furio

Postby Burgerman » 06 Jun 2022, 17:59

Being permobil we have a problem.
It could and most likely is something to do with permobils own module ics, that is a big mystery box of problems.

It could be a bad bus cable. And / or the same cable just needs reconnecting properly or a squirt of switch cleaner. Or a new cable. Or even a loose battery connection. An old breaker. You will need to check out everything with care.

What is "resetting"?
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Furio » 07 Jun 2022, 06:05

Hi BM,

By "RESETTING" I meant unlocking the controller. The controller is of course permobil, other than that, no other permobil paraphernalia is used. On the controller all previous settings were erased and sunrise settings are used where ever applicable. The wheelchair itself is a self built one. cheers

Anyway I have a 90amp r-net controller that I can try. 8-)
Furio

Postby Burgerman » 07 Jun 2022, 10:25

OK then the question is what do you mean by unlocking, and what do you mean by locked?

It can give an error which causes it to freeze, or an error or fault that disables drive, or can actually be locked by a user (2 ways) and no fault exists. These are 3 different things. With different causes and different remedies.

And how are you "unlocking" it?

And did you do this:
It could be a bad bus cable. And / or the same cable just needs reconnecting properly or a squirt of switch cleaner. Or a new cable. Or even a loose battery connection. An old breaker. You will need to check out everything with care.

What is "resetting"?
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Furio » 07 Jun 2022, 16:51

Hi BM,

The wheelchair while driving or stationary, gives a shot beep and followed by a long beep lock up;ie the screen goes dark(switch off). Now when I switch on, the screen comes on but with a padlock icon which remains for five seconds and again the screen goes dark. :cussing

I am unlocking by the following method .

(https://support.pgdt.com/FAQ-s/Diagnostics-Questions)

Use the ‘on/off’ button to switch the control system on. The ‘padlock’ symbol will be displayed on the screen.
Deflect the joystick ‘forwards’ until the JSM beeps.
Deflect the joystick ‘backwards’ until the JSM beeps.
Release the joystick. There will be a long beep and then the standard ‘drive’ screen will be displayed - the controller is now unlocked.

So far its ok. Now I start driving and suddenly,it goes to locked up as before. The difference is the time between drive state and lock up state can't be predicted.

I have changed both joystick and controller, checked bus cables yet the problem remains. banghead banghead
Furio

Postby Burgerman » 07 Jun 2022, 20:32

The complete system is the joystick and controller. I doubted that either was faulty to begin with.

What are you programing these with, and can you send me the settings file?

And again that sounds like something is locking it. Which joystick?
So, again, its a wiring or programming issue.
Do you have ANYTHING magnetic or giving out a signal near the joystick?
A photo may help.

Are you sure YOU are not inadvertently locking it?

https://www.google.com/search?client=fi ... La27mABg25

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o78YZzbQTpA
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 07 Jun 2022, 20:45

It may be you, or vibration from crap joystick mountings doing this.

Do me a favour.
Go to the place shown in the menu and set to NONE as shown. Just to rule this out.
Attachments
Image1.jpg
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby steves1977uk » 07 Jun 2022, 21:50

BM, could it be that particular PM is looking for a specific Permobil module and locking out if it doesn't detect it? Who knows with their stuff! :fencing

If the lock up only happens when moving, then open the PM and make sure the smaller PCB behind the mainboard is firmly plugged in. I had one where that was fully disconnected. :problem:

Steve
steves1977uk

Postby Burgerman » 07 Jun 2022, 21:54

No. He changed its personality to something else like sunrise. And it wouldnt lock in the same way a user locks the chair it would just give an error.

If he disables that locking method in programming and it fixes it then it must be him thats doing it inadvertantly. He cant have a fault as he replaed both joystick and power module.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Furio » 08 Jun 2022, 14:36

Hi BM,

I am forwarding my present setting. I will change the lock function to NIL today (presently it is BOTH) and let you know the result tomorrow. My joystick is CJSM.

@steves1977uk- The locking up happens while driving/stationary/actuator functions. Sometimes it happens seconds apart, minutes or couple of hours.
Attachments
CR11050306.R-net
(4.75 KiB) Downloaded 20 times
Furio

Postby Burgerman » 08 Jun 2022, 18:43

You still have the satbility settings and speed settings options for permobils ICS thing.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Return to Everything Powerchair