Storm 4 without Breaks

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Storm 4 without Breaks

Postby Pierro » 12 Jun 2022, 16:30

Hello,

i ask for a friend:

My best friend owns a Storm4 - 12 km/h. After about 10 years, the motors had to be exchanged for new ones. His father installed the new engines for him. Since the motor replacement, the magnetic brakes no longer want to close when the joystick is brought to the home position. Breaks makes clicking noise. The Joystickmodul shows no default. However, as soon as the chair is switched off, the brakes close correct.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what could be causing this?

Joystick is a REM 550
PM ACS 2 PMA90L

I will visit him in the next few days to check on the chair.

Thanks and regards, Pierro
My dream: drive a self-made power chair with a lot of power and high speed. For infinite range.
Pierro

Re: Storm 4 without Breaks

Postby Burgerman » 12 Jun 2022, 20:27

I think we have a language problem.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby martin007 » 12 Jun 2022, 23:01

Burgerman wrote:I think we have a language problem.

We utilized google translate.
martin007

Postby Burgerman » 13 Jun 2022, 01:42

Here is how brakes (not breaks, which probably confused the translation software) atually work. Which makes the above message make no sense.

Brake is ON when no power is applied by a spring.
When 12V or 24V is applied to a brake it clicks. And it is released as it defeats the spring.
When power is removed it also clicks, and the brake is applied.

So if brake is releasing and driving OK when power is applied thats good. If not find electrical or mechanical fault. Until it releases when the joystick moves away from the centre.

If the brake is clicking when the joystick is centralised as it should then the brake is now ON. And will remain on when the system is turned off. If this is not happening, then you have a mechanical issue, or the freewheel lever is activated. If no click, then that may be that the joystick is not electrically centred properly due to joystick fault.

If the wrong brake voltage is used (12V when it should be 24V) then they may not properly release, and will wear out.
If 24V is applied when it should be 12V then they will release, at least to begin with. But the copper coil will overheat and burn the insulating varnish off the copper coils and they will draw more and more current and eventually fail to release properly.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Pierro » 13 Jun 2022, 10:26

Hello folks,

please excuse the bad translation. As I said before, my English is pretty bad and I didn't notice.

BM, would you please correct the subject line?

Ever since the engine was replaced, including the gearbox and magnetic brake - as a unit, the magnetic brake does not hold. It sounds: click, click, click... open, close, open, close ...
The brake only holds when the chair is switched off.

I've already looked at the Storm4 manual and I know how to measure the resistance of the magnetic brake. If this is OK, I hope that I can use the "Wizard" program to get into the controller to get more clues there? (REM550 from Dynamics). Check that the tension for the brakes is correct. My thought is that the new magnetic brakes require a higher voltage, as BM also said.

I also read that defective motors can destroy the power module. Hopefully that's not the case here.

Thx Pierro

If anyone else has an idea, I would be happy.
My dream: drive a self-made power chair with a lot of power and high speed. For infinite range.
Pierro

Postby Burgerman » 13 Jun 2022, 10:47

Everything you need to know is in my post above.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby woodygb » 13 Jun 2022, 12:24

I assume that you only get the click , click when stationary not when moving? ...This would seem to indicate a need for recalibration of the joysticks throw or you could increase the deadband around the joystick neutral position .
An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field.
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby Pierro » 19 Jun 2022, 12:50

woodygb wrote:
I assume that you only get the click , click when stationary not when moving? ...This would seem to indicate a need for recalibration of the joysticks throw or you could increase the deadband around the joystick neutral position .

Hello @all,

I would like to give an update:

Today I met my friend with his Storm4. After a short test, I found that the magnetic brake only works when I push the joystick back one millimeter from the center. (just a little)

It's probably like Woody said - the REM550 controller needs to be recalibrated. Thx Woody. I saw there is a plugin for calibration in Wizard. Unfortunately, I've never done it and I don't have any documentation about it.

Maybe someone can send me a description? I would like to read up before I dare to do it. Because he needs his chair.

A 2nd issue is that the chair sometimes slams on the brakes during a bumpy street and then dies. (goes OFF) Sounds like a loose connection to me. I checked the wiring visually and found no errors. I haven't been able to connect my laptop yet, so I have to go to his house for that. We live 40 km away from each other. It's not all that simple.
Pierro

Postby woodygb » 19 Jun 2022, 14:32

A 2nd issue is that the chair sometimes slams on the brakes during a bumpy street and then dies. (goes OFF) Sounds like a loose connection to me.

Yes , what you describe does sound like a bad connection or cable.

Check all connections again also buy some deoxit and spray the connections.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Caig-Labs-DeOx ... B00I3G272M

https://www.dynamiccontrols.com/resourc ... ources-hub
An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field.
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby Pierro » 08 Oct 2022, 10:14

woodygb wrote:
A 2nd issue is that the chair sometimes slams on the brakes during a bumpy street and then dies. (goes OFF) Sounds like a loose connection to me.

Yes , what you describe does sound like a bad connection or cable.

Check all connections again also buy some deoxit and spray the connections.

Hello,

my friend drives the Storm4. Because the chair keeps switching off and turning off while driving (all the cables have been changed), he bought a used DX2-MPA90L motor control unit.

As I know, there is the "System Mirror Backup" with which the REM550 passes the software on to the MPA90L.

Can someone tell me what exactly needs to be done on the REM550 so that the MPA90L gets the software mirrored?

Or is there a manual for this?

Thanks and regards, Pierro
Pierro

Postby Pierro » 08 Oct 2022, 12:04

i got it:
if i can help someone else:

Pierro

Postby Pierro » 11 Nov 2022, 17:25

Hello folks,

I want to give you an update. A lot of time has passed, but it's done.

it was actually a defective MPA90L that was causing all the problems.

Thank you for your support. Pierro
Pierro

Postby Burgerman » 12 Nov 2022, 02:05

Is that a power module? I think so.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Pierro » 12 Nov 2022, 17:56

Burgerman wrote:Is that a power module? I think so.

yes BM. I found a used one in eBay. Then I mirrored the current driving profile on it and everything was fine.
Pierro

Return to Everything Powerchair