can you recommend a power supply off eBay I can get quick

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

can you recommend a power supply off eBay I can get quick

Postby wheelchairer » 04 Jul 2022, 22:47

I'm using a PL 8to charge a 145 amp lithium pack, and I need to replace the power supply as soon as possible. Can you recommend one please.
C4/5 tetra
BM 8 mph 8mph linix R-net 150Ah lith
Tom BM clone needs 8mph linix, R-net odyssey batteries
Lifestand motion tech 5.6 mph R-net 112Ah lith
wheelchairer

Re: can you recommend a power supply off eBay I can get quic

Postby Burgerman » 04 Jul 2022, 22:49

Get a shirley ZXD.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby wheelchairer » 04 Jul 2022, 22:53

it's a bit too much for me ability and pricewise.I have the coolice, but I'mm always having problems with the carers plugging it in properly and it's just blue one of the sections for the 2nd time.
C4/5 tetra
wheelchairer

Postby shirley_hkg » 05 Jul 2022, 01:28

You really should replace the EC5 connectors, with something else.
Attachments
tb_image_share_1656980845810.jpg
shirley_hkg

Postby Burgerman » 05 Jul 2022, 08:57

Those blue things get chopped off my chargers day 1. They always burn...

I use anderson 50 on everything. Because you end up with many options.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby martin007 » 06 Jul 2022, 00:22

wheelchairer wrote:it's a bit too much for me ability and pricewise.I have the coolice, but I'mm always having problems with the carers plugging it in properly and it's just blue one of the sections for the 2nd time.

Do you think Shirley's ZXD is expensive? :shock:
martin007

Postby shirley_hkg » 06 Jul 2022, 03:20

martin007 wrote:Do you think Shirley's ZXD is expensive? :shock:
Martin, this ridiculous power supply was started ALL because of you , itsn't it
? https://www.wheelchairdriver.com/board/ ... t&start=30
It can still be as cheap as £30 today , excluding shipping , labour and fency aluminum case . https://www.wheelchairdriver.com/board/ ... &start=100
shirley_hkg

Postby martin007 » 06 Jul 2022, 11:54

I think you have not understood me.
I say that ZXD is an excellent and cheap power supply.
martin007

Postby shirley_hkg » 06 Jul 2022, 14:29

It is expensive. It soars up from $1,600 to $2.200 HKD . Shipping fee, adding Anderson SB50, labour , all added up.
shirley_hkg

Postby martin007 » 06 Jul 2022, 16:25

shirley_hkg wrote:
It is expensive. It soars up from $1,600 to $2.200 HKD . Shipping fee, adding Anderson SB50, labour , all added up.

I keep seeing it cheap.
By regulating the voltage I extend the life of the batteries... :thumbup:
The power supply pays for itself.
martin007

Postby expresso » 06 Jul 2022, 19:32

Quickie 636 - 230ah LifePo4
expresso

Postby steves1977uk » 12 Jul 2022, 20:38

The Coolice PSU's are ok as long as they're plugged in correctly. By the PSU keep blowing, I assume the carer's are only plugging in one IEC plug which causes one of the PSU's to be overloaded and start puffing out black smoke? That's happened to me but luckily noticed it and stopped the PL8 immediately.

Steve
steves1977uk

Postby wheelchairer » 13 Jul 2022, 18:37

steves1977uk wrote:The Coolice PSU's are ok as long as they're plugged in correctly. By the PSU keep blowing, I assume the carer's are only plugging in one IEC plug which causes one of the PSU's to be overloaded and start puffing out black smoke? That's happened to me but luckily noticed it and stopped the PL8 immediately.

Steve
Well I meant to secure the to plugs in the back of the power supply so they can't come out.

However, I think I'm going to get him (Coolice) to make 1 of those carry cases with the charger and power supply inside. He said the way he will make it I will be able to plug an external PL 8 into it and run that as an alternative to the built-in 1.

The main purpose of the built-in 1 carry case, will be for holidays, so I want everything safe from impact.

So I will be using the PL 8 most of the time, and just use the charger I have chosen from what he recommends on holiday.

This situation will give me a Nice safe backup in case anything goes wrong.

Coolice
Chargers, I’ve not been in the forum lately but what brand chargers are people trying now?
We’ve got two choices now I think, iCharger which has the long history and established brand name behind it like Revolectrix did and to be fair these two were THE brands to have. Then we have the cheaper, but equally capable ISDT now which while they might not have the overall quality of an iCharger certain perform well and you get a lot for your money.
So in keeping with following the PL8’s 8s cell count capability we have these chargers to look at;

iCharger X8; https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001 ... 7512%21sea

Nice charger, but not talked about so much lately with ISDT bringing the same power levels at a cheaper price, so now ISDT’s offerings;

ISDT Q8 500 watts and up to 8s; https://www.hobbyrc.co.uk/isdt-q8-500w-dc-charger
Newer Air8 version; https://www.amazon.co.uk/ISDT-Battery-C ... C40&sr=8-1

Or the more powerful Q8 MAX version with 1000 watts; https://www.hobbyrc.co.uk/isdt-q8-max-1000w-dc-charger

ISDT also do some chargers which are both DC via power supply and AC via cable all-in-one chargers;

ISDT K4; https://www.hobbyrc.co.uk/isdt-k4-600w- ... dc-charger I have heard this isn’t very accurate recently with a customer having a PSU from me to go back to iCharger.

ISDT X16; https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003 ... 4715%21sea mega money sadly.

Neither of these two DC/AC chargers I have had experience of, but I wanted to show you them anyway. Mind you in order to make any real power they do so from an external power supply anyway, so it negates any advantage over one of my PSU’s and a charger built into a case.

Personally I think I would go with an ISDT Q8/Air8 (500 watt) or the Q8 MAX (1000 watt) built into the smallest case we can with your power supply underneath it, so you have a mobile charging solution. I could also add in a power output point on the deck, or side of the case itself, so if you wanted to use the PL8 you can do by simply using the case as the power supply for it.
But then when going away, use the ISDT inside the case.
It’s all very modular to so should a PSU fail, it would be very easy again to swap it out to minimise down time for you which is a priority.

To give you an idea of case size, I am fitting two Q8 inside this case with the PSU’s you have side by side under them;

https://www.waterproof-cases.co.uk/prod ... ase-max300

For the more powerful Q8 MAX I might have to create a raised deck design as it’s a taller charger from memory, but I should be able to use this case still, or worst case scenario the next size up; https://www.waterproof-cases.co.uk/prod ... h160-black

Some ideas for you to consider mate and doing things this way we keep your PL8 in stock trim without messing with it.

I also asked him can he
So on my wheelchair I have the PL 8 balance cable which if you remember has a peculiar plug that is only specific to the PL 8. So would we be able to adapt the ISDT Q8 Max 1000W DC Charger to using a PL 8 balance cable I can provide you so the balance cable I have now on my wheelchair can plug into this charger? Also, Is there software so I can;
1 control the operation presets and everything on the Q8 Max charger
2 I can start the operation of the charger from the PC?

I was also wondering whether the Bluetooth module we use on here for the PL 8 could be used in this configuration?
C4/5 tetra
wheelchairer

Postby wheelchairer » 13 Jul 2022, 18:43

martin007 wrote:
shirley_hkg wrote:

I keep seeing it cheap.
By regulating the voltage I extend the life of the batteries... :thumbup:
The power supply pays for itself.
can you explain that a bit further please. You are saying it is better charging at a low voltage whenever possible?
C4/5 tetra
wheelchairer

Postby Burgerman » 13 Jul 2022, 18:48

BT no idea. Software then theres some really crap and confusing stuff that can work with the iChargers. But the way you calculate the termination current on those is a bit odd and its hard to get it right. You cant just set a figure like sat 120mA because its some percentage of the charge current. So you need to set a really low figure, like 1% and then mess around with the charge Amps to get the right end point. Other than that the iChargers are the only game in town if you have no PL8. The rest are all a bit too cheap and cheerful esp the firmware, charge algos, and build quality.

can you explain that a bit further please. You are saying it is better charging at a low voltage whenever possible?

He means that the Shirley power supply is great as a 3 stage charger as well as a quality power supply. That allows him to set it to give the correct charge current, the correct CV voltage, and the correct termination point current, and then drop to the right float voltage. That extends the life of a set of lead batteries by a massive amount compared to a typical mobility charger.

And also use it as a 0 to 60V power supply at 0 to 50A as well. With far better build quality than any paired up PC power supplies.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Return to Everything Powerchair