Scewo self balancing stair climbing wheelchair - updated

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Scewo self balancing stair climbing wheelchair - updated

Postby Cal » 16 Jul 2022, 17:14

I see there have been a few updates to the Scewo self balancing stair climbing wheelchair

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxf-fIubkMs

Jerry is right in his assessment of mobility equipment (see 3 mins 55 secs).

The Scewo has some nice ideas, but still a bit ungainly for an everyday powerchair. I no longer have any interest in stair climbing ability - my shot with an iBot put me off czy
Cal

Re: Scewo self balancing stair climbing wheelchair - updated

Postby Burgerman » 16 Jul 2022, 19:01

Whelmed.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby ICEUK » 17 Jul 2022, 10:44

They thought going 6mph was fast, I get bored at that speed. 10mph all the time.
ICEUK

Postby Burgerman » 17 Jul 2022, 12:16

My problems are much more simple. Its too big, too heavy, and too wide at the front, seating too high and would make a terrible daily chair esp indoors. Too much behind, and too much in front. Its just a cumbersome thing. Its also not user programmable at the low level, ie no OEM access so it steers like all the rest do, Meaning that for me that alone rules it out. And its a mechanical minefield of problems. Not least fragile thinn rubber tracks. I would destroy those on day 1.

So its gimmics are OK if that matters to you. As a daily use chair its a non starter for me. Another problem is that they are using a tiny battery. Yes lithium. But nowhere near big enough. Why? Because all that complex "transformer" mechanism, takes the space that a real battery would occupy. As such the most important part, the battery which should be priority 1, was thown in somewhere they could find a space as an afterthought.

So... My opinion is that like many of these "stair climbing wheelchairs". That try to fix a problem that really isnt my close to my top priority, they have ditched the important daily use wheelchair stuff to prioritize their "special effects"... Its another student project that shouldnt really have made it to market. It will eventually vanish I suspect. The Willchair is another...
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Jay_x » 18 Jul 2022, 17:45

I bet climbing eats up the battery something fierce. Couple a big stair steps would take half your battery life I bet.
Jay_x

Return to Everything Powerchair