Told that I cannot get R-Net for my new Bounder?

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Re: Told that I cannot get R-Net for my new Bounder?

Postby Burgerman » 10 Aug 2022, 05:30

As for DYNAMIC load compensation settings, then it isnt needed if the chair is programmed properly anyway. And it also MUST still be mOhm progrmmed. Its just that the chair decides to increase it or decrease it over a very narrow range automatically so you dont have to. But it might not like my choice! And keep lowering it... Personally I find all chairs are set a little too low here. Because safety and variation of motors etc. So you should be FINE TUNING your own chair anyway... So thats also nonsense. Its mostly marketing nonsense. Probably prevents the ignorant "techs" setting it too high or low as it can "correct" what you did.

I can program an r-net chair to be MUCH more accurate, repeatable, and responsive than any of their stock chairs. Including deceleration, responsiveness, motor load compensation settings etc. Its not difficult! They keep on making "fixes" like this DYNAMIC load compensation to try to fix something that is caused by stupid programming and bad control pod positioning and technique. And it just doesent...
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby steves1977uk » 10 Aug 2022, 09:16

Makes me wonder if 21st Century are just using the generic OEM software. If they had their own custom version made by Curtiss-Wright that add a braking delay option to set how soon the brakes are applied as soon as the joystick is released, then it would be even more better than the LiNX offering. :thumbup:

Steve
steves1977uk

Postby Burgerman » 10 Aug 2022, 09:39

Theres a C programmer. One up from the OEM level. A is dealer. B is OEM. C is engineering or manufacturering? That allows you to change some extra stuff. But not seen in the wild... Yet!
But I dont think its needed though. If you speed up the transition of the brake release/apply it just gets all clicky and anoying. Its fine tuned and works well as it stands..
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby SweetBearCub » 24 Aug 2022, 14:09

So I finally got a reply back from 21st. It got caught in my spam folder!

"It's not a matter of amperage with these two electronics. Both the LiNX and R-net are great systems and each has its pros and cons. We prefer the LiNX electronics for the higher speed configurations because the braking algorithm is more suited to our high speed ST3 motors. Our motor does not use a gearbox. This makes for a very rugged motor construction that allows us to provide a five year warranty. The R-net allows a little more roll out on steep hills and ramps when the joystick is returned to neutral with the high speed configuration. There is no way to adjust for this in the R-Net programming, but can be adjusted in the LiNX electronics. This is why we have decided to only offer the LiNX electronics with high speed setup. You will find that with our motor configuration, driving at full speed on the flat really does not take many amps (usually 15-30 amps). Starts and hills do draw more current. We found that the LiNX manages the power requirements very effectively in the high speed configuration.

When we provide a chair with the high speed package, we use an alternate motor (the ST3 motor). There is not a way to use an ST4 motor and gear it up to 8.5 unless you used aftermarket sprockets. While in theory it could be done, the torque/speed characteristics have not been verified, thus we do not recommend it."

I don't want to mess with aftermarket sprockets. I just want the damn R-Net.
SweetBearCub

Postby Burgerman » 24 Aug 2022, 17:06

I would agree. But they are not giving you that option.

This braking nonsense is just that. For one, I always set that return to centre braking (called "forward deceleration" as low as possible on all my chairs anyway!) and back stick braking, is still going to be able to be set high enough to lock rear wheels anyway if you wish.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 24 Aug 2022, 18:06

Fortunately its cheap and quite trivial to retro fit R-Net to any powerchair. EBay is your freind. And time, and a careful scan daily.

I built up 3 complete systems, top of range stuff inc seating/lighting actiuators/looms/120 power modules, bus cables, and CJSM2 joysticks over a 12 month period. The lot for (3 complete powerchair setups) inc all looms, wiring, and a few extra bits in case I needed them, cost me less than 1200 quid altogether...And all either new, or stripped from new chairs and indistinguishable from brand new. All joysticks still had the original screen protectors etc.

So if you are serious about this you can DIY afterwards.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 24 Aug 2022, 18:27

Complete rehab system inc lighting/seating module.
rehab-complete.jpg
FULL Rehab System. This is EVERYTHING you need on a rehab powerchair like the Bounder. Or most rehab chairs.

And a few spares... I do as I preach. I rely on nobody else.

Here for e.g, 3 complete new/as new systems inc a bunch of connectors, bus cables, programmer, IO unit (for RC use), and a few spares like LED joystick, attaendant control, etc. It just takes some patience. EBay is very like fishing.
Attachments
120A.jpg
120A power modules
all-small.jpg
A bunch of system parts
battery loom 150A.jpg
A battery loom with 150A safe fuse.
onbed.jpg
More
programmer.jpg
Programming dongle and IO unit for RC use...
cjsm2.jpg
I have 3 of these. As new or factory refurb. Never used...
rnet7.jpg
PRE PROGRAMMED for my existing chairs, as spares in case of failure. Plug and play!
seating.jpg
2 of my 3 seating and lighting modules. These are lighting, indicators, and 6 channel seating actuator modules. Also plug and play.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 24 Aug 2022, 18:38

Why?
Because I will replace a BM2 old pilot plus system. And have a SPARE EVERYTHING for the 2 chairs that I already have that use these. The SalsaR2 and the Q700R as plug and play instant repair. I dont do waiting. I also do keep spares. As everyone should. I CANNOT wait for useless repair techs that dont know what they are doing and dont have parts anyway. I can fix anything on any of my chairs same day. Frequently same hour. I alo have spare seat lifts, and actuators. And sets of new or as new 4 pole motors.

There is literally nothing that can fail on any of my 5 powerchairs that I cant fix same day. I have tyres, tubes, bearings, motors, control systems, looms, actuators, complete seat lift modules, etc all st on the shelf.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Everything Powerchair