DIY Lithium connectors list

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

DIY Lithium connectors list

Postby fishinjunky » 31 Jul 2022, 14:45

I thought it would be good idea to start a list of connectors that are good for use on our DIY packs to talk about the good an bad of them. Not a complete list. Feel free to add or to comment your experience with any of these connectors. :thumbup:

(DIY Lifepo4 CONNECTORS)

ALL-IN-ONE CONNECTORS ( charging cables and balance cables in one plug)
: D-sub connector 40 amp - ( I think this is the most preferred connector and setup for our application )

CHARGING CABLE CONNECTORS ( separate from balance cables )
: XT60
: XT90
: XT150
: Anderson PP 45 AMP
: Anderson PP SB50
: Anderson PP 75 amp
: EC-5
: PRC6
: QS8-S
: HXT 4mm

BALANCE CABLE CONNECTORS ( separate from charging cables )
: DB9
: 3 x MT30
: 3 X MR30
Invacare tdx sp
Bounder 300M 200ah lifepo4
fishinjunky

Re: DIY Lithium connectors list

Postby Burgerman » 31 Jul 2022, 15:56

I think you have most of the useful ones, except those EC5 ones, that I throw away. Those always melt or make bad connections.

I also suggest you get a couple of these with different multi connector ends. https://www.rc-hobbies.co.uk/shop/spare ... connector/

Lots!
https://www.google.com/search?q=multi+c ... irefox-b-d

So you can connect almost anything to charge it.

And balance too, a 2 to 8s balance board. I use these a lot. Depends what you are charging. These are not for chairs. But I charge many things.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/185212604064
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby shirley_hkg » 31 Jul 2022, 16:13

Better have 2 pins to share a 40A load each way .
Attachments
IMG-20220725-WA0012.jpg
shirley_hkg

Postby fishinjunky » 01 Aug 2022, 13:16

shirley_hkg wrote:
Better have 2 pins to share a 40A load each way .

Thanks Shirley great tip! I like these connectors :thumbup:
Invacare tdx sp
fishinjunky

Postby fishinjunky » 01 Aug 2022, 13:32

Burgerman wrote:I think you have most of the useful ones, except those EC5 ones, that I throw away. Those always melt or make bad connections.

I also suggest you get a couple of these with different multi connector ends. https://www.rc-hobbies.co.uk/shop/spare ... connector/

Lots!
https://www.google.com/search?q=multi+c ... irefox-b-d

So you can connect almost anything to charge it.

And balance too, a 2 to 8s balance board. I use these a lot. Depends what you are charging. These are not for chairs. But I charge many things.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/185212604064

I agree the EC-5 connectors are completely garbage. They make a bad connection and if you have EC-5 connectors from different manufacturers they don't connect securely an gravity can pull them apart. Icharger didn't use them on the new dx8 duo it has a xt60.

Bm, you have me an mom addicted to the SB50 connectors. Easy to solder an crimp good solid connection hot swappable large contact area. I found with handles installed an just a small amount of dielectric greese on the casing makes them easier to disconnect for people that have a hard time unplugging them

I'm going to get one of those cables and couple balance boards because I've been wanting to get into rc cars an possibly rc flying.
Invacare tdx sp
fishinjunky

Postby Burgerman » 01 Aug 2022, 13:52

Yes a hobby that teaches you everything! Although less today than in the past. But fun and a huge subject and never ending in complexity and cost!

I stayed on my bed today. Red mark :cussing
But my brain thinks I am looking out of my blue Land Rover Defender around half a mile away from my house. These HD DJI Digital goggles look so good that you forget where you really are. I am looking around my neigbours yard and confusing the dog. I nearly crapped myself when I felt a tap on the shoulder. My carer turned up, and touched me... I thought someone at the bottom of the street was in my Defender with me... Very confused for a second. I forgot I was on my bed at home.

Look carefully, its on the shelf here!
https://www.wheelchairdriver.com/board/ ... &mode=view

Its a "rock crawler" with 4x4 and low gearing. Tons of control and slow. It has a high quality camera inside and behind the windscreen. And long range RC with the FPV system etc.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby fishinjunky » 01 Aug 2022, 14:09

Burgerman wrote:Yes a hobby that teaches you everything! Although less today than in the past. But fun and a huge subject and never ending in complexity and cost!

But my brain thinks I am looking out of my blue Land Rover Defender around half a mile away from my house. These HD DJI Digital goggles look so good that you forget where you really are. I am looking around my neigbours yard and confusing the dog. I nearly crapped myself when I felt a tap on the shoulder. My carer turned up, and touched me... I thought someone at the bottom of the street was in my Defender with me... Very confused for a second. I forgot I was on my bed at home.

Its a "rock crawler" with 4x4 and low gearing. Tons of control and slow. It has a high quality camera inside and behind the windscreen. And long range RC with the FPV system etc.

That's Awesome looks really fun. I was just watching a rc rock crawling competition looks like loads of fun! I didn't know rc rock crawling was a thing.

Bm, that's ironic I'm also dealing with red marks and a couple open wounds 2 on my hip an 1 on my foot I'm wearing those fluffy Floatation booties and should really be on bed rest also for couple days but luckily my wounds aren't getting any pressure in my chair. I think these wounds are going to be part of my life till I die I just can't get rid of them :cussing maybe if I stayed in a anti gravity chamber
Invacare tdx sp
fishinjunky

Postby Burgerman » 01 Aug 2022, 14:15

The ones that keep appearing are usually not pressure, or not ONLY pressure but shear forces (on bed or through not enough base dump deat angle), and through heat, sweat, and a candida infection that just looks like a red area. A little of two or more of these things. Best bet is to stay cool, (one reason I just ordered Air Conditioning for my room £££ AND because it also DEHUMIDIFIES and you stay very dry.). And repeatedly wash the whole area! With medicated soap. At least a few times daily. And mine at least go away again.

I dont use mine for rock crawling. More reconoitering the area. Spying... I have a 2W, 915mhz RC link. Gets around 30 to 50 miles theoretical airborn range. But easily a mile or more at ground level around buildings and cars. Same with the video link. Wide band, 1.2 watts, super high quality link. Looks as good as HD TV. It allows me to go anywhere in the nearby area and never lose video or control range. It does worry me that someone may steal it! With me inside.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby greybeard » 01 Aug 2022, 19:03

Get your voice inside it.

If anyone nicks it, tell them if they don't give it back you will wake it up at random times of the day and night and lecture them in great detail on lead battery issues, Musk's accomplishments, Robotech programming, soldering, and any other topic about which you can talk for hours and hours.

You'll get it back within hours. Guaranteed.
greybeard

Postby Burgerman » 01 Aug 2022, 19:07

Well I could... But I think a siren that I can operate at will might make them put it down.

Can do the same with this one too. With my FPV goggles. Again enough battery for a full day/night. 25V and 8Ah Lithium.

https://www.wheelchairdriver.com/gopro/bot2.mp4
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby greybeard » 01 Aug 2022, 19:09

Yeah, but less irritation factor.
greybeard

Postby fishinjunky » 02 Aug 2022, 14:04

Burgerman wrote:The ones that keep appearing are usually not pressure, or not ONLY pressure but shear forces (on bed or through not enough base dump deat angle, and through heat, sweat, and a candida infection that just looks like a red area. A little of two or more of these things. Best bet is to stay cool, (one reason I just ordered Air Conditioning for my room £££ AND because it also DEHUMIDIFIES and you stay very dry.). And repeatedly wash the whole area! With medicated soap. At least a few times daily. And mine at least go away again.

I dont use mine for rock crawling. More reconoitering the area. Spying... I have a 2W, 915mhz RC link. Gets around 30 to 50 miles theoretical airborn range. But easily a mile or more at ground level around buildings and cars. Same with the video link. Wide band, 1.2 watts, super high quality link. Looks as good as HD TV. It allows me to go anywhere in the nearby area and never loose video or control range. It does worry me that someone may steal it! With me inside.

i just hooked up a dehumidafier to help with moisture an keeping cool with a/c. great advice keeping them clean an dry really makes a difference. BM how is your skin sensitivity? mine is very sensitive most medical tape leaves redness leading to blisters.

i was telling mom about your reconnaissance rc setup. She said oh you need to get that setup for sure. It would be super useful on days i cant go out to check on my garden plants or places i cant take my chair to look for mushrooms. I can think of lots of uses :thumbup:
Invacare tdx sp
fishinjunky

Postby greybeard » 02 Aug 2022, 18:22

greybeard wrote:Yeah, but less irritation factor.

Sorry BM. Just re-read this and it sounds insulting. I didn't intend it to be.

I meant irritating to those who don't spend time on here soaking up and relishing all that stuff.
greybeard

Postby Burgerman » 02 Aug 2022, 18:30

Dont worry I have a thick skin! I can dish it out and take it too :clap
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby slomobile » 05 Aug 2022, 15:19

for balance cable connectors
JST SM series
JST SH series Anything smaller is hard to crimp manually. Precrimped silicone wires available.
JST XH series
sheilded IDC (Insulation Displacement Connector) ribbon cables, only need a vise or clamp to terminate many leads at once.
Molex Minifit Jr. has a nice latch like
ATX cable

Dupont style not recommended due to exposed male pins, loose fit, no latch.

for main(s) leads
Hubbell Twist Lock

Thanks for info on the red spots. Switched to Hanes X-Temp underwear for that reason. Its thin breathable mesh like roho cushion cover. The waistband could be softer.
slomobile

Postby Burgerman » 05 Aug 2022, 15:23

I stopped wearing any. Just track suit bottoms. I know the dehumidifier helped. Keeps my room at 45% humidity. So everything inc me stays dryer. Air con allows this too. So will not need the dehumidifier.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby slomobile » 05 Aug 2022, 15:47

I agree the soft track pants with nothing else are much more comfortable for sitting all day as long as the drawstring is loose. But I do a lot of brief standing transfers where accidentally dropping trousers increases in probability. A redundant layer lets me stay focused on completing the transfer rather than trying to quickly pull my pants back up and falling in the process. What I really need is track suit overalls. Haven't seen those yet.
I've got a wonderfully comfortable pair of Codet woolen overalls, but they button up the side leaving little open windows.
slomobile

Postby Burgerman » 05 Aug 2022, 18:11

But I do a lot of brief standing transfers where accidentally dropping trousers increases in probability.

But that would cause much mirth and amusement! :clap
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby fosterqc » 10 Sep 2022, 05:32

here is a good resource we follow for making high power PEVs (Ebikes/Esk8)

fosterqc

Postby Burgerman » 10 Sep 2022, 11:41

You need to be a bit careful and do a little careful thinking though at the same time when deciding on cable size.

For e.g the cable may only see high currents intermittently as on a powerchair. So that the cables never get chance to overheat because the way the system works, means that high battery currents only occur briefly. And are in fact mitigated against in the controller software programming. In that way the manufacturers fit much smaller wiring than would seem safe on say the 120A R-Net powerchairs that I have here. Those can draw up to 240A peak, and they do. But its only for at most maybe 1.5 seconds. As such they use 12 gauge mostly. Or 4.5mm2.

And then theres the fact that silicone high strand count cables that I frequently use are designed to be able to take around double the current of a single core PVC cable. Yes they get hot. But silicone doesent melt or burn. As such in things like my model helis I frequently use 100A plus on surprisingly small cables! Because I like the weight saving and the wires are short.

And then theres resistance. The longer the cable is, like the one running out to my van from the house, with the 13.4V charger on the other end needs a much heavier wire than expected because otherwise the voltage drop on a 10A / 12A charge is huge. And then the battery charges very slowly. A drop of a few mV means very extended charge time. Never mind a full volt that I see at 20A... Its a long 2.5mm2 dual core cable.

And the fact that some cables that we use are twin or more core. And so theres an extra layer of PVC insulation. So they overheat sooner. So a larger cross section is needed.

So as a guide its OK. But still requires some thought. For the UKs metric cables with normal PVC the best rule of thumb is that you multiply the square mm by 10 to get safe working amps. (so a 1 square mm cable is 10A, a 6 sqmm cable is 60A etc) If in doubt, bigger is never a problem. As such those figures above in the chargt seem awfully high. 38A in a 1sqmm wire? czy It will melt I think.

See hre https://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby fosterqc » 10 Sep 2022, 17:38

oh yeah sorry I thought the chart indicated those are values for Silicone coated wire. My fault for not checking there.
fosterqc

Postby saker98 » 10 Sep 2022, 18:43

Burgerman wrote:Yes a hobby that teaches you everything! Although less today than in the past. But fun and a huge subject and never ending in complexity and cost!

Hi John,

Off topic: This is a nice looking PC Rig you have there, is that a Steam wireless usb on the left?

Regards
saker98

Postby Burgerman » 10 Sep 2022, 19:10

No that serves as my RC reciever, and allows 20 channels of switches, flight controls (rotary knobs, sliders, 2 joysticks, all the in built mixing etc) from my RC transmitter. see https://www.frsky-rc.com/product/xsr-sim/

Its effectively my "joystick" but allows many more channels and much more control via my RC system transmitter. It is instead of a typical joystick. I prefer that to be wireless, and be the device I actually use to fly RC models, helis and planes etc as thats natural for me. Its for the latest MS Flight Sim. B ut works on all games.

https://www.wheelchairdriver.com/board/ ... 2&start=60
More pics. Its a monster PC build...

Its seen on the picture here, and so is my RC transmitter in the background. It means I can fly my flight sim from my bed. And still see well as my PC monitor is an 55 inch OLED 4K TV... https://www.wheelchairdriver.com/board/ ... &mode=view
Burgerman
Site Admin

Return to Everything Powerchair