no lights on joystic, what can i verify easily, maybe fuses?

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

no lights on joystic, what can i verify easily, maybe fuses?

Postby yeshelp » 19 Dec 2022, 21:39

HI
i have a quantum 6000 z and went to a repair shop for diagnostic , the problem was found , just needed new brushes. good it has been fixed.
i saw the chair working correctly at the shop with their home battery . then they did put the chair in a transport vehicule without battery and brought it back to my home.

on arrival i transfered my own batteries( i know they are ok cause they work well in another chair) in this chair but there is no light on the joystick controler! humm it was working in the shop so i wonder what can i check in my home to avoid having to send it back again.

Now, usually i respect the positive neg wire of battery installation but maybe i did inverse them the first time? I tried 3 time with the right wiring after

Without having to open the chair (remove the platform under the seat) there must me some testing i could do like maybe i could check the fuse? i imagine there is supposed to be a fuse somewhere . i looked in the rectangle where the batteries are installed but didnt see any . i looked at the module computer at the back but didnt seem to find a fuse. Anyone would know where they are? in the manual i searched fuse in text but nothing came up to my surprise...

Apart from checking for accessible fuses, what could i test to see where the problem is?

thanks
yeshelp

Re: no lights on joystic, what can i verify easily, maybe fu

Postby swalker » 19 Dec 2022, 23:33

I think that chair uses a circuit breaker. If so, it is likely that circuit breaker was switched off by the shop when they removed the batteries. Have you confirmed it is on?

According to the manual for your chair (https://www.quantumrehab.com/pdf/owners ... ies_om.pdf), the circuit breaker is located on the rear main frame.

Steve
Permobil F5 Corpus 3G
Permobil C500s VS
Permobil C500 Corpus 3G
Permobil C350 Corpus 3G
Magic Mobility X4 with 176 Ah LiFePO4
swalker

Postby ex-Gooserider » 20 Dec 2022, 00:51

As Steve said, start by checking the breaker... If that is OK, then it's a question of chasing the power to see where it is getting lost...

Start by checking the plug where the batteries connect to the power module - if good (and the right polarity!) go on, if not it is between the plug and the batteries....

Then check the cable between the power module and the joystick - I'm not sure which contacts are the battery, but they will probably be the biggest 2. Again, if no power it's a cable / connection or power module problem, if OK, then it looks like it would be a joystick pod problem....

ex-Gooserider
T-5, ASIA-B
Jazzy 1100
Jazzy Select 6
Quickie Q-7
Invacare Mariner
Want to make / get a better chair, ideally one that stands.
ex-Gooserider

Postby yeshelp » 20 Dec 2022, 02:33

hi
thanks for the answers

nice i didnt think to search in page for breacker.
i searched and it seems like this is the piece circuit breacker https://www.monsterscooterparts.com/med ... 4292_1.jpg

i can locate such a hexagonal piece behind the module cpu. It's outputs look more like horns than 90 degree though. it is written @30 volt $unreadable$ interupt. hecho in mexico@. hard to read cause it is behind the module

my question is how do i check that fusible?
is the fusible inside the hexagone and that i have to unscrew the hexagone?

Would you know ? is the hexagonal piece a protector with the fuse accessble by behind (unscrew) . that is plausible .

thanks for your support :)
yeshelp

Postby Burgerman » 20 Dec 2022, 12:37

A hexagon has 6 edges. Your photo appears to be a rectangular fuse cover (4 edges)? And neither of those are breakers. I am confused...

Use a simple multimeter to check battery voltage and polarity on each one. And follow the 24V to where it stops... Then you will know where the problem lies.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby woodygb » 20 Dec 2022, 13:43

B.M. ...If you looked at the item in a plan view ....ignore the rectangular box and include the mounting ears ...it is a hexagon.
An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field.
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby Burgerman » 20 Dec 2022, 14:53

So it is... :silent:

But its a square fuse cover. It not a breaker so hard to see how a dealer could switch its power off. So you really need to follow the battery power etc with a mulimeter to see whats wrong. I am guessing 1 battery reversed... Or loom connected to wrong things.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby yeshelp » 21 Dec 2022, 08:10

hi
in the link from swalker i found it is written
Main Circuit Breaker (located on the rear main frame): The main circuit breaker is a safety feature built into
your power chair. When the batteries and the motors are heavily strained (e.g., from excessive loads), the main
circuit breaker trips to prevent damage to the motors and the electronics. If the circuit trips, allow your power chair
to “rest” for approximately one minute. The circuit breaker will reset itself. Turn on the controller, and continue
normal operation. If the main circuit breaker continues to trip repeatedly, contact your Quantum Rehab Provider

by reading this is it correct to say that the breaker can not burn?
By reading this i kind of understand that the breaker auto reset after one minute.

following this info, is it really necessary for me to check this hexagonal(square box) for fuse_breaker?
yeshelp

Postby Burgerman » 21 Dec 2022, 10:38

You are mixing up 3 things.

1. A fuse seldom if ever fails on a powerchair, if it does then you must replace it.
2. A self resetting fuse is an electronic fuse, it works the same way as a normal fuse except that it resets automatically, an example of this is the polyfuse.
3. A breaker is also a resettable fuse. It is USER reset. You must flip a switch to reset it.

Nobody knows what type of system is on your chair. Or where the problem is.
Only 1. and 3. is common on a high current system like your powerchair.
Again you need to check both battery polarity, and follow the 24V with your multimeter to find exactly whats wrong.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby shirley_hkg » 21 Dec 2022, 11:51

Did you get 24V from the charging port ?

shirley_hkg

Postby yeshelp » 22 Dec 2022, 05:40

shirley_hkg wrote: Did you get 24V from the charging port ?

do you mean did i mesure the 3 pin cable comming out of the charger ? (the thing that plugs into the joystick?

i have to buy a multimeter,
i look at this one
https://www.amazon.ca/KAIWEETS-Multimet ... s9dHJ1ZQ==

and this one https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Z398YWF?th=1

does the first have all the functions that people like to have for a multipurpuse multimeter for the home so i dont have to buy another in one year?
And is it really usefull to get a clamp like the second link?

thanks
yeshelp

Postby Burgerman » 22 Dec 2022, 12:01

Multimeters and various functions like measuring current via a clamp meter are all extremely useful. But only if you know why you need them and what you are doing or measuring. Remember that a tool needs knowledge to make good use of it. I worry that you may not have that by the recent posts. The multimeter can help you diagnose the problem if you know how. Its a series of logic clues that narrow the issues till you find the problem.

Both of those will be more than capable of doing what you need.

Did you check that boh batteries are connected the correct way around? And to the correct terminals. How did you determine that?
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby yeshelp » 23 Dec 2022, 08:05

hi
Did you check that boh batteries are connected the correct way around? And to the correct terminals. How did you determine that?

i am used to change the batteries from one chair to another and i tried 3 times so im confident that the 2nd and 3 rd the red wire were on the positive and the black on the neg pole of the batteries.

i have 2 cable in a form of Y one extremity plugs into the upper part of the case containing the batteries and the other extremity splits into 2 smaller wire to one batterie, one red and one black.

each batteries are connected with its own Y .

Is this all right?
yeshelp

Postby Burgerman » 23 Dec 2022, 11:45

Dont know I cant see it. I have seen people do some very odd things that they couldnt see was wrong!

As a simple test without a multimeter:
Do you get any issues when connecting the charger? Meaning does it begin to charge normally? If so your battery wiring / trip / fuse is all OK and you have control system problems.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby yeshelp » 24 Dec 2022, 04:17

atm the batteries are not inside but i take good note of your comment about the charger test
thanks
yeshelp

Postby ex-Gooserider » 27 Dec 2022, 03:14

Burgerman wrote:You are mixing up 3 things.

1. A fuse seldom if ever fails on a powerchair, if it does then you must replace it.
2. A self resetting fuse is an electronic fuse, it works the same way as a normal fuse except that it resets automatically, an example of this is the polyfuse.
3. A breaker is also a resettable fuse. It is USER reset. You must flip a switch to reset it.

Nobody knows what type of system is on your chair. Or where the problem is.
Only 1. and 3. is common on a high current system like your powerchair.
Again you need to check both battery polarity, and follow the 24V with your multimeter to find exactly whats wrong.

I've also owned self resetting circuit breakers, I used to use them on some of my motorcycles way back when.... They plugged into typical the AGC glass fuse clips and acted sort of like a very slow cycling 'flasher can' if you had a short, where they would trip and then 10-20 seconds later reset.... Saved needing to pack spare fuses or a hunk of tin-foil to do roadside tech sessions in case of problems.... However the only ones I have seen were relatively low power - 10-30A or so.

ex-Gooserider
T-5, ASIA-B
Jazzy 1100
Jazzy Select 6
Quickie Q-7
Invacare Mariner
Want to make / get a better chair, ideally one that stands.
ex-Gooserider

Return to Everything Powerchair