New PL8

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

New PL8

Postby expresso » 04 Feb 2023, 05:33

almost new -

i just received two PL 8 from Shirley - air - got them in 6 days -

i just tested them both - i set them up to copy mines - added my presets on both of them - both up to date by shirley

i left one of them for my everyday use now - i put the rest away for spares -

i wasnt looking for any - but i though i killed mines - so i reached out to shirley and he had two -

thanks alot !!

turned out i fixed mines - replaced connector and working - i put it away for spares -

i have a friend who also uses a PL 8 - since we only ever used them from day one - its easier to keep using them as long as i can - having spares makes it more likely to have many years of use -

anyone looking for extra - reach out to shirley - i dont know how he does it - but he finds them and many other things -

when they closed shop - i found a few - i though i did anyway - i was shown a picture of the PL 8 etc - so i paid for two of them - from china

what i received was two brand new red shiny inverters 2000 or 3000 watt 220V or 240V i dont remember now -

called my CC - got my money back and got to keep for free -

thanks to shirley
Attachments
20230203_222054.jpg
Quickie 636 - 230ah LifePo4
expresso

Re: New PL8

Postby steves1977uk » 04 Feb 2023, 10:35

Bargain! :thumbup: Just wished another RC company would start re-making the Powerlab series again. Maybe a V3 with 80A charge capability! A dream I know... :(

Steve
steves1977uk

Re: New PL8

Postby ex-Gooserider » 07 Feb 2023, 01:56

I know that it doesn't seem practical to try and reverse engineer the PL8 in order to make an open hardware version, but I wonder how much of that is because of the flexibility the PL8 has of being able to charge just about any chemistry / # cells / pack size, etc...

While this is nice, if all you really want to do is charge a chair, you don't need all that...

How hard would it be to design a SINGLE FUNCTION charger to do a large 8S LiFePO4 pack and NOTHING ELSE? It seems like that should be a LOT simpler, and if we can make an Open Hardware design, then we would not have the same problem of working out all the kinks of a proprietary charger only to have it discontinued / go out of business the way we have had happen w/ the Hyperion and PL8 chargers...

ex-Gooserider
T-5, ASIA-B
Jazzy 1100
Jazzy Select 6
Quickie Q-7
Invacare Mariner
Want to make / get a better chair, ideally one that stands.
ex-Gooserider

Return to Everything Powerchair