Switching between dual joysticks quickly/easily

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Switching between dual joysticks quickly/easily

Postby Smark67 » 03 Mar 2023, 18:16

Hi there,

I currently have an R-Net set up using a midi joystick which I operate with my thumb. I also have one of these mini joysticks and was wondering if there's a way I could set my system up, with the mini joystick also in situ, where I could literally switch between the two?

It's basically because if I get really fatigued or really cold, as in the mornings or when out, I often find it difficult to use even the midi joystick and having the mini joystick to switch to would be a great facility. So does anyone have any idea what a quick switch system could be, which doesn't necessarily mean somebody physically unplugging/plugging in? Thanks in advance…

Mark
Smark67

Re: Switching between dual joysticks quickly/easily

Postby rover220 » 03 Mar 2023, 21:32

Perfectly possible if using an omni.
rover220

Postby Smark67 » 03 Mar 2023, 22:11

rover220 wrote:Perfectly possible if using an omni.

Yes I am… Omni2… But how please?
Smark67

Postby Burgerman » 03 Mar 2023, 22:19

Its got 2 inputs. Use the 2nd one and program the thing to take notice of it when active. Presumably, never done it though.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby rover220 » 04 Mar 2023, 04:30

Smark67 wrote:
rover220 wrote:Perfectly possible if using an omni.

Yes I am… Omni2… But how please?

Connect both joysticks to the seperate 9 pin sockets on the omni and then it's some programming.
rover220

Postby slomobile » 06 Mar 2023, 13:22

I've just been experimenting with having 1 joystick for normal use and a 2nd on the opposite side for when I need to lay seating flat like a bed, and turn over on my belly to drive facing backwards. I've only got a couple days experience, so I might say something incorrect here based on speculation of how I think it works.

In general, multiple joysticks mostly just work when you plug them in unless you have them plugged into an inactive omni port like I did at first. If grab is on in the current profile, whichever joystick is outside the neutral zone(being operated) is controlling the chair.

Any profile with "seat reversal profile" parameter turned on in Rnet, automatically becomes active whenever a seating switch indicates you are in a position to use it. It blocks access to the other forward profiles while seating is reversed. You can program that profile to only use 1 of the joysticks if you like. Or use more than one with the "universal" parameter. Mini and omni and attendant are some of the options. You probably don't need that though. I've been able to activate the seat reversal profile, but not yet switched back forward.

If your profiles are set the way you like, the "grab" parameter lets that profile be operated by any joystick on the chair. I think. Seems very much like setting a Universal joystick, but there must be a subtle difference.

On my prone chair I discarded all the fancy multi joystick stuff and made the joystick detachable and have a forward and a backward profile. When mounted I use the forward profile. When I turn around and face backwards I detach the joystick and swingarm and tuck it under my arm. Able to operate it with my thumb. The profiles are identical except under control, fwd/rev axis is reversed, and any forward speed parameters are swapped with the reverse speed parameters in the other profile. In other words, swapping the axis changes the signal polarity of the joystick only. It doesnt change any labels. So if I want to decrease the maximum speed or acceleration when I push the joystick down, I decrease the parameters labeled forward.
slomobile

Return to Everything Powerchair