GBHD motors

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

GBHD motors

Postby rollingcowboy » 20 Jul 2023, 23:27

20161029_152859.jpg
I have a guy interested in using the brushless motors for a cart he is building.
I sent him this

here are his comments

The screenshot of the manual looks mostly self-explanatory: a brushless
motor with resolver feedback. I don't know what to do with the EEPROM
of course. Do you know what's stored in there?

Do you know the voltage/current or wattage rating of these brushless motors?

can anyone answer his ?s
rollingcowboy

Re: GBHD motors

Postby Burgerman » 21 Jul 2023, 00:22

The brushless motors need to be calibrated and I suppose this data may be stored in the motor or at least the ID of the motor. As for watts, then theres no actual figure. Early brushless motors were weaker, less torque. Later more modern ones used a different control system (two versions) that were never seen in the US and lots of revisions of the motors. And they dont all talk to each other.

Voltage 24V, max current depends on controller the last generation ones were 120A max on the storm4 explore. Befor this they were 100A. So peak watts is 24 x 120 = watts. So 2400 for a couple of seconds. Because they are direct drive. So lack torque.

Watts applies to all wheelchair motors. It doesent determine power or torque. They may be rated at 180 to 700 watts. It doesent mean anything much.

Actual watts applied depends on length of time, (and this is initially around 200 battery Amps, which is rolled back very fast to whatever is programmed in to protect loom, mtors etc. Its allowed initially as direct drive has little torque without this. It doesent have a lot with it! But its soon reduced to much less. So actual watts starts around 120A OR 100A per motor depending on controller x 24V = around 2400 or so watts. For an instant. Then way, way less as time and temperature increase, depending on programming. This needs the engineering rather than advanced or dealer level. Which we have for the later ones via the Wizard software and a hack. The ole worlde MK 5 or 6 ones in the US? No idea!
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby rollingcowboy » 21 Jul 2023, 22:39

thanks,
it seems to me that several years ago one of the members that uses the GBHD had posted that he had figured out (hacked?) the motor
rollingcowboy

Postby ex-Gooserider » 25 Jul 2023, 02:32

My recollection is that I've seen various posts about hacking the GB motors, at least some were not on this site... Basically they work like most other brushless motors w/ position sensors, except the GB motors position the sensors differently than most motors do... So to use non Invacare controllers it was claimed that you needed to make new brackets to hold the sensors, or replace them...

There is a fellow locally that does a variety of chair hacking, mostly making off-road buggies out of power chairs, and other cool but MHO not very practical stuff... One of his creations was a buggy using GB motors and big tractor tires, which probably wasn't great for torque... I got to test drive it, and encountered the same sort of issues that BM mentioned having w/ his chair... It was fast and fun once you got it moving but if you tried doing much at slow speeds the controller would overheat and shut down...

ex-Gooserider
T-5, ASIA-B
Jazzy 1100
Jazzy Select 6
Quickie Q-7
Invacare Mariner
Want to make / get a better chair, ideally one that stands.
ex-Gooserider

Return to Everything Powerchair