I see multiple options but wich will battery size will fitin

Postby yeshelp » 19 Feb 2024, 20:21

hi everyone

batteries on end of life .
i look at this site
https://www.quantumrehab.com/pdf/brochu ... _6000z.pdf
and they say for quantum 6000z the battery size is :
BATTERY SIZE 6 NF-22 or Group 24

I also read Burgerman Group 27 batteries are around the 90 to 105Ah capacity but much longer. And heavier. Making powerchairs too big for sensible indoor usage and very heavy. "Bounder Wheelchairs" use these in some powerchairs. .

i see GEL MK 30 and gr 31. could they fit in my 6000z and 646se quickie?
what is the most AmpHour mk gel battery i can fit in? gr24 or better?

i see this on they site https://www.mkbattery.com/search
with different letters after numbers. how to choose the right one and what do they mean?
are the letters to indicate the type of electrode coming out of the battery where to connect the wires?

which type of electrode coming out of the battery is better and why ?

what does sld means in M24 SLD G FT ... and why are the electrodes of this so small, are they reliable compared to other electrodes?
thanks
yeshelp

Re: I see multiple options but wich will battery size will f

Postby martin007 » 19 Feb 2024, 21:15

What capacity are your current batteries?
martin007

Postby Burgerman » 19 Feb 2024, 21:18

You mean terminals?
The size or even type of terminal makes no difference in our application.
The bigger they are the better for huge currents used when starting a car. We dont do that. So dont let the type or size of terminals worry you.

Theres a few things that matter.
1 physical size. You cant get a bigger battery than a group 24 in that space. So anything longer than 260mm, or wider than 170mm or taller than 200 approx. Height varies slightly.

So forget grp27, 31 etc. And definitely forget group 22nf, or smaller... Those do not last.

So group 24.
Gel is best for 90% of people. Good cycle life, and if quality a long calender life.
Next is impedance. Ideally as LOW as possible. This has much more affect on torque, and range, and speed of charging, than everything else inc Ah. A bigger Ah battery will not carry you as far as a low impedance one that is say 10Ah smaller... Ah is not everything.

So what battery?
MK gel (NOT MK AGM!) GRP 24. 73.6Ah. The one you want is MK24G-FT
Or the latest good batteries are the GROUP 24 sized Haze 80Ah GEL deep cycle ones. These are low impedance, and larger capacity, and have almost as good cycle life as MK. In actual use, because they are larger Ah they may last longer. And cheaper! I have just bought a set of these for my backup chair. As good as anything available. For less.

Almost everything else, with the possible exception of the ones sold as "permobil" (which are not, they dont make batteries) is worse.

Those 3 batteries above are all good.

The rest? Almost garanteed to not be...

With 1 proviso. They get charged CORRECTLY and as often as possible. That means not a typical mobility charger in most cases.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby yeshelp » 21 Feb 2024, 05:15

hi
atm i dont know how much capacity is left but not much , with winter it goes down quick. it was a agm mk .

Thanks for the haZe proposition. I ll see if i can get it in canada and how much cheaper it is. Might stick with mk since reputation is good.

I will have to reread a post about charger created before. There was a white blue one small and not too expensive that seemed to do the job from what i remember of what i read.

thanks
yeshelp

Postby yeshelp » 21 Feb 2024, 06:06

what is the difference between M24 SLD G and MK24G-FT .?

is it just the terminal?
yeshelp

Postby Burgerman » 21 Feb 2024, 06:06

MK AGM are junk. Winter means that lead batteries have maybe 20% less capacity. But with old batteries its not usually capacity that is the problm. Its that they have increased internal resistance. So they soon show as empty on the gauge and the chair feels gutless. But when tested they dont show much capacity loss.

The GEL Haze 80Ah battery is a better bet than MK because its actually bigger capacity, same technology, and gives a bit better range. But after a years use ALL lead batteries are tired. If you think you get more than 10 to 18 months from a set then you either dont really use them or never go far enough to tell the difference. Or like me you charge them up durng the day some several times as you get chance. And charge properly overnight.

The 8A version of the Victron charger IP65 24|8 and the The IP67 24|12 is even better but bigger. It needs you to install a charge XLR plug and a cable. Which is easy. should be OK PROVIDED that you configure it with a custom charge template. And while its possible, its not easy as you have to fight its safety warnings, and hidden setting that they go out of their way to make difficult. Probably because most people will get it wrong! But once done should be great. Gel batteries are best for most people. But ONLY if charged correctly as they are a bit particular! AGM are less fussy, but dont last as long.

what is the difference between M24 SLD G and MK24G-FT .?

is it just the terminal?

SLD just stands for Sealed Lead Acid. The BATTERY is the same. M may stand for marine or may be that the missed off the K... But you want the FT (Flat Top or MK24G-FT) version anyway.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 21 Feb 2024, 06:31

Haze 80Ah GRP 24 flat top battery...
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131119213209

When I search for batteries in canada I find very few deep cycle ones at all. And this may not be available there? You may have no choice but to get MK anyway.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby yeshelp » 21 Feb 2024, 07:10

Yes agm was all that was available when i needed it.

ill see if i can get gel batteries first.

I think Victron was indeed what i remember telling mysefl what i would go with when i ll get Gel .

if I understand correctly i ll need to intall a xlr plug to the output of the charger ? is there a tuto of how to do that somewhere?

When you say fight safety warnings , i imagine you are talking about the charger warning, not the wheelchair warning right?
I m willing to invest time cause gel will last longer. how many hours do you estimate it could take me to read and set up the charger ? approximatly so that i can meditate on that? Is there a good tutorial already on the web showing step by step or will i have to enter a blind explorer mode ?

thanks

PROVIDED that you configure it with a custom charge template. And while its possible, its not easy as you have to fight its safety warnings, and hidden setting that they go out of their way to make difficult.
yeshelp

Postby Burgerman » 21 Feb 2024, 07:31

You can solder an XLR plug onto a wire?
Get the 8A one above.
You can do the same on a bit of 2 core cable, and fit that to the charger (it has no output wire, you must connect one) with 2 screws... Ten get the 12A one above.
You could if you REALLY cant solder an XLR plug on to a wire just cut a cable off an old unwanted charger and then attach that (2 screws!) to the same 12A charger.

As for making a USER profile its easy. I can walk you through each setting and show you where it hides...
Download the PC version of the software from the chargers website. Install. Open it and choose DEMO and select the charger say the 24|8 or the 24|12 one. Then select a USER profile and keep looking for all the options that allow a custom setup. Look carefully its all there. Just in several sneaky places on 2 or 3 different screens. And dismiss all the "we know better" warning nonsense!

You can then see what you can really set.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby yeshelp » 23 Feb 2024, 21:50

yes i did solder stuff before so i probably go that route .
I try to find finance for batteries and start working on this blue charger project .
have a good day thanks
yeshelp

Return to Everything Powerchair