PINNED - Info on PROGRAMMING PGDT and others

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Re: PINNED - Info on PROGRAMMING PGDT and others

Postby woodygb » 14 Mar 2022, 18:55

Check you messages
An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field.
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby tonystablet » 16 Mar 2022, 20:12

Hi to the Forum,
firstly what a wealth of information collected up here. great job.

This is new to me (wheelchairs;) my wife has MS so we have purchased a used Jazzy 600ES but it has had its speed reduced to less than 50% as the previous owner could not steer it well with their disability.
I am sure you know what the question is, as i have seen it over and over but can any one point me to a link for the software download, i have already ordered a USB to TTL RS232 Converter Serial Adapter,

From my understanding i require Mobility Programmer but on the website i can not download as it requires a serial number.

i would like the full version rather than the dealer version but would appreciate any help

Many thanks in advance
tonystablet

Postby woodygb » 16 Mar 2022, 20:45

Done.
An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field.
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby MobileOne » 10 Jun 2022, 00:39

New to the Forum. Great site and info.

I have a couple of Heartway folding scooters, similar to the TGA Minimo from my research, and one is much slower than the other, safety risk crossing wide roads actually.
I live about 650km from the dealer and would appreciate a copy of the PG software. Hoping to a least read and compare the two.

Thanks

B2
MobileOne

Postby mrgus2u » 20 Jun 2022, 20:47

Woody, i have a couple of motorola ribs. I am trying to use to program my S controller directly from a serial port on my pc. Is this possible, or do i have to go from a usb port through a converter? I also need the oem software, as i only have the dealer version. Can you help? Thanks.
mrgus2u

Postby woodygb » 20 Jun 2022, 21:40

I have no idea about the capabilities of a Motorola Radio Interface Box (RIB).

I will Google it ....

Is this possible, or do i have to go from a usb port through a converter?

EDIT ...The answer appears to be Yes ....you should be able to program via the TX RX and GND connections of your RIB.
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby woodygb » 20 Jun 2022, 22:09

Try connecting like this...if it doesn't work try swapping over the RIBs TX ( pin 11) with the RX ( pin 10 ).

NOTE:- I am unsure of the connection types / designations for the RIB.

Update me on the outcome.

RIB tx 2 rx.jpg
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby mrgus2u » 21 Jun 2022, 09:28

This the schematic for the Motorola rib box.
http://www.repeater-builder.com/motorol ... 8schem.gif
mrgus2u

Postby woodygb » 21 Jun 2022, 09:41

Best GUESS.

11 / 13 of RIB = TX of 4 pin Molex

15 / 24 of RIB = RX of 4 pin Molex

GND = Common

If that doesn't work try swapping over the TX and RX connections .

OR ...

Combined RX and TX from 4 pin molex to 15 / 24 of RIB

EDIT ...Try the combined option first.
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby woodygb » 21 Jun 2022, 09:50

Combined TX / RX wires. ...GND goes to pin 1 of RIB.

RIB MOLEX.png
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby mrgus2u » 21 Jun 2022, 10:17

Thanks. I will try it and post an update with the results. :D
mrgus2u

Postby woodygb » 21 Jun 2022, 16:33

I forgot to say that the S-Drive must be turned ON / powered up.
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby MobileOne » 21 Jun 2022, 23:39

I've had a good look around and found some programmming info from this site in the US. Software for the 1314 Curtis series there as well. Looks lke it may work on the S45 I have. Yet to make up a cable but they bury access to the programming port within the mobility scooter which requires a bit of work to access.

https://www.nocoev.com/product/1314-4402.htm#gsc.tab=0

Edit: Software here
https://www.nocoev.com/curtis/
MobileOne

Postby woodygb » 21 Jun 2022, 23:58

The Curtis 1314 software is used for CURTIS controllers.
https://www.curtisinstruments.com/produ ... ntrollers/

An S-Drive requires Penny & Giles ( Curtiss Wright ) mobility software.
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby woodygb » 22 Jun 2022, 00:02

Yet to make up a cable but they bury access to the programming port within the mobility scooter which requires a bit of work to access.

You can often program the controller via the 3 pin charging port.
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby MobileOne » 22 Jun 2022, 01:25

Many thanks for the advice and software correction :thumbup: . The battery has the 3 pin XLR charging port directly connected as it is removable. A different connector is used but I suspect you are right however can't see a 3rd wire going beyond where it plugs or connects to the main body. I shall have another look because it would make sense to do that.
MobileOne

Postby MobileOne » 14 Aug 2022, 07:34

Finally got around to trying to get the speed adjusted on my scooter. Lots of distractions including testing a new Allpowers 606Wh battery inverter device which is running the newish Dell Optiplex 7050 PC I am using now to try the software.

As it has a real serial port I hoped it would be a fairly simple process. I tried various combinations of wiring from the XLR plug to a DB9 socket. Tried shorting pins 2-3 on that and also a diode to pin 2 from pin 3 but always comes up comms inactive. Comm 1 selected and checked as working ok in Device manager. When key is on it is inhibited so wiring seems ok. I may end up having to get access direct to the S45 4 pin molex socket if all else fails.

Otherwise it is still working fine so nothing blown up yet. banghead
MobileOne

Postby woodygb » 14 Aug 2022, 08:10

Did you correctly identify the controller in your scooter?

Note that the 3 pin charging plug is not always connected to the controller, in fact I have seen Curtis 1228 controllers with the programming port blanked off.

There is a bare dummy molex plug potted into the molex socket.... top left of this pic.

Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby woodygb » 14 Aug 2022, 09:09

As it has a real serial port I hoped it would be a fairly simple process.
NOPE ...You will NOT be able to program a S45 Solo controller using a SERIAL Port.

You require a USB to TTL Serial Converter with the addition of a Schottky diode .

I suggest this type https://www.amazon.co.uk/FT232RL-Serial ... B09MHYZJSP
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby MobileOne » 14 Aug 2022, 09:27

Actually I suspect you could be right. It did occur to me that it may not actually be an S drive. Wasn’t aware of the ‘real’ serial port issue. Thanks for that.

I suspect it is connected to controller via the XLR due to the inhibit in effect when my programming cable is plugged in.

Back to the drawing board I guess. czy
MobileOne

Postby woodygb » 14 Aug 2022, 10:59

There are multiple different makes and models of mobility scooter controller and you need to identify the make/model , so that you can determine the correct communication protocol and programming software.

P.S. I forgot to add a 47k to the Schottky diode in my previous post.

The pic below will communicate with a S45 S-Drive.

RX TX ETC.jpg
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby MobileOne » 14 Aug 2022, 11:40

Yes I perhaps made too many assumptions about terminology. When I saw the posts and diagrams regarding the wiring using the 47k resistor and Schottky diode I just thought this was related to having to use USB to serial adaptors. A shortcut is often the longest distance between any two points. ;)

And yes the correct identification of the controller is essential before I go any further. The scooter supplied info indicates it is but that doesn't necessarily mean its true. Much to learn as always. I appreciate your advice.
MobileOne

Postby woodygb » 14 Aug 2022, 12:06

RS232 Serial signals and TTL Serial signals are ALMOST the opposite of each other.

https://www.sparkfun.com/tutorials/215
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby MobileOne » 15 Aug 2022, 00:03

A good read on TTL/RS232 indeed. :thumbup:

Either way I have ordered the device you mentioned as they are quite inexpensive.
MobileOne

Postby Overland » 22 Aug 2022, 23:21

Would these cables be good for S-Drive type controllers as used on my 2013 Afikim breeze? (and associated software probably needed) - ive got 2 of these scooters and im rather fond of them but ones been regretably programmed to 10kph.. while 12kph doesnt seem like more, its wonderful to have that extra bit of speed at night when 10kph seems just like a moving target.. might be psychological.. but appreciated all the same :)

additionally, is there a circuit diagram if these arnt been made anymore. Thanks so much
Overland

Postby ex-Gooserider » 22 Aug 2022, 23:46

The controller is going to depend on what brand /model / version of controller it is, not the scooter brand, as they all use the same short list of controllers, so you need to start by identifying the controller - which might not be the same on both scooters...

If they are S-Drive, then the S-drive cables described earlier in the thread should be just what you need (along with the software). If they aren't S-Drive then you will need a different cable / software combo....

Similarly, you probably aren't going to find a circuit diagram for that specific scooter, but just about any circuit diagram for a scooter that uses the same controller will be close enough not to matter, other than possibly the wire colors...

ex-Gooserider
T-5, ASIA-B
Jazzy 1100
Jazzy Select 6
Quickie Q-7
Invacare Mariner
Want to make / get a better chair, ideally one that stands.
ex-Gooserider

Postby Overland » 23 Aug 2022, 12:02

Thanks for the extensive reply mate, im still waiting to see what the other breeze has when I got time but the 2013 breeze definately has S-drive, seen it when i had it apart not long back to diagnose a brake issue that ill post about in another thread.

I realise I wont be able to do much with speed as these scooters tend to run on transaxle gear ratios, id love to experiment though if anyone has a link to the S-drive software at all? Thanks
Overland

Postby woodygb » 23 Aug 2022, 12:07

You have a P.M.

Note that the higher amperage S-Drives will not communicate when using the simple Resistor / Schottky modification to a TTL-USB cable.

This circuit solves the problem.

3rd kirk layout veroboard trans.png
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby mrgus2u » 26 Aug 2022, 00:12

Woody, I made the cable with the 47k resistor and the Schottky diode and tried to use it on my Win10 laptop to program an S45 controller. The controller didn't respond, or the response is not recognized. I tried com2 and com5, the ports are there, but the software says the com port is inactive. Is there a problem with the OEM software and Windows 10 I am not aware of? I double checked my cable build, and everything is correct. Any insight you could give me to solve this, because as far as I can tell it should have worked, and the controller is operational.
mrgus2u

Postby woodygb » 26 Aug 2022, 07:54

Is there a problem with the OEM software and Windows 10 I am not aware of?
NO.

I double checked my cable build, and everything is correct.
What cable...make / model... did you use?

Did you have the S45 controller turned ON?

Your cable will be assigned just one Com Port number ...thus I am confused by you having two com ports as an option.

Check in device manager and ascertain the correct assigned number.
Niels Bohr
woodygb

PreviousNext

Return to Everything Powerchair