PINNED - Info on PROGRAMMING PGDT and others

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Re: PGDT interface update

Postby rune » 03 Feb 2013, 14:14

interestingly, i've also found a source online which supports bridging together with a diode like so:

txd --------|>|-------
|
|
rxd-------------------------------- PGDT controller

common ------------------------- PGDT controller

I believe woody also discovered this method by accident. Next step for me, see if iv'e got a diode in the components box!
rune

Postby rune » 03 Feb 2013, 14:15

That ascii art didn't work to well, but you get the idea.
rune

Postby rune » 03 Feb 2013, 14:19

http://www.yumpu.com/en/document/view/3 ... h-ds18b20-

This article suggests this board does 1-wire with no external components.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1x-USB-2-0-TO ... 4ab889d129

(CP21202 chip)
rune

Postby woodygb » 03 Feb 2013, 14:36

I've been hoping that someone else will come up with a cheap solution that will communicate with all the Penny & Giles wheelchair range .... not including the R-Net ... as I've already spent enough time and funds on "playing".

NOTE:- I don't begrudge the time or money ..it's been educational and fun ... and a benefit to some. :)
woodygb

Postby rune » 03 Feb 2013, 14:49

woodygb wrote:I've been hoping that someone else will come up with a cheap solution that will communicate with all the Penny & Giles wheelchair range .... not including the R-Net ... as I've already spent enough time and funds on "playing".

NOTE:- I don't begrudge the time or money ..it's been educational and fun ... and a benefit to some. :)

I'm sure all of your hard work is appreciated :-)

So, to clarify, the radioarena cable currently works with the Pilot Plus?
rune

Postby woodygb » 03 Feb 2013, 15:06

B.M. Tested it as working fine .... all others ...bar one I think ...have all managed ( it may require a bit of faffing around with drivers ) to connect with the Pilot+ using the Radioarena supplied cable.
woodygb

Postby woodygb » 03 Feb 2013, 15:18

Here's a little list of links.

This doesn't work.
http://www.pcsensor.com/index.php?_a=pr ... duct_id=33

I found these interesting.
http://www.cqham.ru/uniprog2_eng.html
http://www.instructables.com/id/1-wire- ... interface/
http://code.google.com/p/ownet-chart/

and a little note that I believe the comms voltage should be 5v.
woodygb

Postby rune » 04 Feb 2013, 16:23

Thanks Woody.

I've got some diodes now, so i'm about to heat up the soldering iron and try a diode in the Tx line.
rune

Postby rune » 05 Feb 2013, 12:32

Well, the diode didn't appear to work. However, i'm not sure if the issue is the cable or the software. The software appears to be buggy and keeps hanging on me, requiring a reboot to clear. I'm using XP pro for this experiement, with the latest available Prolific PL2303 driver.

I'm trying to run a serial port monitor on the port to see if the data back and forth. I'm pretty sure at this stage that the controller / software uses the Dallas 1-wire, multi-drop serial bus protocol with the programming software as the master and the controller as the slave. This is useful to me as I use Linux for most things and i've been wondering if I can produce my own software which will talk the correct protocol to the controller and bypass the buggy, proprietry software and allow me to use my Linux system natively. A truly opensource programming tool for the PGDT controllers would be nice......
rune

Postby woodygb » 05 Feb 2013, 12:37

Not sure if this will help....
As I recall plugging /unplugging the programming lead upsets the PGDT Software...you must close the software before taking the lead IN/OUT ...same applies if you play with the drivers...then reopen it.
woodygb

Postby woodygb » 05 Feb 2013, 12:42

Your PL2303 drivers installed correctly according to the Windows control panel - system page?
woodygb

Postby rune » 05 Feb 2013, 13:10

The driver seems to be fine. My serial port monitor can connect to it.

I can see data going out from the the PGDT software but I don't see anything coming back. I've tried swapping wires around, diode, no diode etc. I have no idea why some TTL devices work and others don't but I think my next step has to be to get a working cable (probably radioarena), even if i'm going to continue to try to work out why some cables work and others don't.

I think i've worked out why Icom cables don't work, by the way. The Icom ones I looked at online are standard RS232 CMOS levels not TTL.
rune

Postby rune » 05 Feb 2013, 13:12

Can you confirm the procedure for programming that you use?

I've been doing this:

plug in USB cable
connect to pod
turn on pod
start software.

Although, i've tried other combinations as well.
rune

Postby Burgerman » 05 Feb 2013, 13:31

Sequence doesent seem that important.

However only com 8 worked on my desktop. And com 6 on my laptop.

And then it says after a restart of the program and controller "comms active".
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby woodygb » 05 Feb 2013, 13:54

The sequence doesn't matter as long as you don't pull out the lead or play with the drivers whilst the software is open..then it hangs.

It is important to find out the port number that is assigned to the USB lead by Windows and match it to the PGDT software...if the PGDT Software says port found or doesn't complain that a port isn't found ( I can't remember which off hand ) then the Software is at least "happy" that a lead is connected....this doesn't mean that Comms can be intiated but you certainly can't get Comms Active IF it doesn't find/recognise that a lead is there.

The ICOM works fine for ME... BUT on an old PILOT ... NOT a Pilot PLUS.
woodygb

Postby rune » 05 Feb 2013, 14:13

The software seems to find the Prolific device fine on either com8 or com3. When started without the device connected the software throws an error.

Regards the icom lead, on further investigation it seems different icom radios probably use a different spec so that could be why you've had icom leads work for you. I'd like to try one of the generic usb -> ttl converters but I need to get at least one working interface first so I think i'll try the radioarena one first.
rune

Postby woodygb » 05 Feb 2013, 14:27

If you want I could post you a small selection of leads/convertors.
woodygb

Postby rune » 05 Feb 2013, 21:33

Thant's kind of you Woody. If you wouldn't mind, i'd like to give them a try. I take it some of the work for you and some of them don't.

I can't promise I can get any further with your good work but I can give it a try ;-)

Simon
rune

Postby Guessrow » 07 Feb 2013, 05:29

Hello,

I'm trying to muddle through this thread- slowly but surely. I have a used VR2 controller on the way for my project, but have some questions before I can attempt any reprogramming...

First off Do I NEED the KPG 4 usb cable? Out of curiosity, I cut the end off an extra USB cable (usb to mini usb, FWIW) I had laying around and it has a black, white, green and red wire, just like the kpg cable. I would have no problem attaching this to my newtrik plug. Is there a reason this wouldn't work?

Also, If I had the PG Drives PC Mobility software installed on a Windows Vista machine, can I just plug the controller into my PC with the cable and try to get things working?

Finally, is this thread an update to an earlier thread? If so what was the original thread?

good luck -jim
Guessrow

Postby ex-Gooserider » 07 Feb 2013, 08:37

Yes, you need the cable... USB is a 2-wire protocol, and is NOT what the powerchair is using. The OEM serial cable, or the KPG cable mentioned does some protocol conversion to go to and from the one-wire serial protocol that the chair is using to what the computer is using...

I'd be very nervous about trying to connect a USB port directly to a chair - I strongly suspect that doing so will cause a release of "magic smoke", probably on the USB side....

ex-Gooserider
ex-Gooserider

Postby woodygb » 07 Feb 2013, 09:17

Jim take this link ...note that the thread ..like many wanders off and returns to the subject.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1965&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

and

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1947&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
woodygb

Postby rune » 09 Feb 2013, 20:11

I'm not happy with the programming cable thing....

I bought the radioarena cable but i'm having even less sucess with this one than my previous cable; I think it's faulty.

In windows, on two separate machines, in win2k and XP the driver will not start correctly (error 10). I've tried different driver versions, etc but to no avail.

I have four or five other USB cables with use the PL2303 driver and on each one of these, they show up and work with no problem.

I'm going to have to contact radioarena and see if I can sort this out. The only trouble is, i've already chopped the modular plug on the end and soldered on an XLR :-(
rune

Postby woodygb » 09 Feb 2013, 20:21

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1965&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=40#p25498

Try the above and pick thru the various drivers that are available ..hopefully one will get rid of the error 10.
woodygb

Postby woodygb » 09 Feb 2013, 20:27

Here's a link to a selection of drivers on my Skydrive.

http://sdrv.ms/UPVtRv
woodygb

Postby woodygb » 09 Feb 2013, 20:40

An installed driver list of those that have had some success.

Brax

Windows 7 32bit.
driver details.
Prolific
12/1/2003 version 2.0.0.24
ser2pl.sys

Nick
win xp home
DRIVER UNKNOWN
Steve
win7 32 bit
Driver is Prolific 3.2.0.0 Driver date 31.7.07

BM
win7 64 bit
Driver is Prolific 3.2.0.0 Driver date 31.7.07

Malamar
win7 32 bit
Prolific controller date 127/03/2010
Version 3.3.11.152
Firm Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility Publisher
C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\ser2pl.sys
woodygb

Postby Burgerman » 09 Feb 2013, 21:31

I have to add I have "fixed" several non working computers after people have sworn its impossible.

BE SURE that you go into device driver and actually check driver version. Windows keeps replacing the newer version if your windows is set up badly, or doesent install device driver correctly if mobile phone or other software that messes with serial ports is installed, etc. And you need to make sure you are using the same unused serial port on driver and software.

Just the same problems that people have with the same USB serial bluetooth thing on the Hyperion... I can always make it work. But sometimes its not so easy.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby rune » 10 Feb 2013, 09:56

I've tried about five different versions of the PL2303 driver now and none of them work. Each time I've changed driver (and verified that it has actualy changed) i've tried this cable, then plugged in four other PL2303 devices which I have for different purposes and each time all of those have worked but not this one. Even the driver that came on the disk with the cable does not work.

I've been reading about counterfeit PL2303 chips being sold from china and how they are dependent on a specific driver version but this hasn't helped me any.

I'm pretty sure at this point that the device is faulty. An error code of 10 is generic and can point to driver issues but also to a hardware problem :-(

I'll drop radioarena a mail and see what they say.
rune

Postby woodygb » 10 Feb 2013, 10:18

If you continue to get problems I'll attempt to find the time to dig out the cable I have ...it's currently repurposed for some other project ...and offer it for you to try.

BUT ...as you'll see further up the thread ..my life changed recently and I'm now a single "parent" (Grandson) ... and tomorrow I'll be returning to work after a 7 year absence ...so no promises on finding the time/energy to do this in the next week .
woodygb

Postby rune » 10 Feb 2013, 10:54

Thanks Woody.

I did notice further up that you've had a difficult time recently and I hope you're coping okay. I appreciate your offer but don't put your self out to do it, I can wait :-) If you get a moment at some point it would be gratefully received, however.

thanks again for trying to help me get this working.
rune

Postby expresso » 10 Feb 2013, 17:26

HI - by any chance would anyone know if i can use the same Software i use to program my P222 quickie with the Pilot + joystick ,, on my older quickie P220 which has a Qtronix joystick ,

i been told its the same electronics just different shell and the Pilot is 100 amp compared to my Qtronix at 80amp , i want to program my old chair now but need to make sure if its ok to use the software i use for my new chair ?

if i do try to use it - can it damage my old chair or just wont be able to program it ? and last if this dosnt work , would any one have software that would work for my Qtronix 220 quickie chair ? i have a cable already for my computer

another thing i am looking for again , a friend of mines has a invacare chair with the MK6i joystick , is there any computer program out there which i can use to program that chair ? she has a memory card they gave her with some settings on it but when we went to install them , it says is missing a file of some sort but if you hit the mode button twice to continue , it would then work with the new settings we just put in it , but shes afraid to use it because of that message - shes not sure if it can do something later on etc, so we put back the original settings from another memory card she has , i am not sure how her vendor put the settings on her card, and she hates to have go back there ,

so i guess my question is - does anyone have software for the computer which i can use to program the invacare chair also ? or would you know which hand held programmer to get ,, getting the software from someone would be the easiest way since i may be able to use the cable i have already ,

any information would be great ,

thanks
expresso

PreviousNext

Return to Everything Powerchair