PINNED - Plug & Play PGDT for Radio Control

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Re: PINNED - Plug & Play PGDT for Radio Control

Postby Rye » 03 Jul 2018, 11:33

Is there some negative to just making the OMNI sleep?
Permobil C350/C300, Quickie P-222, Magic Mobility V6 Off-Road
Rye

Postby Burgerman » 03 Jul 2018, 11:36

No, other than a quarter of an amp drain. So gradual battery decline. Say 230mA plus whatever your RC rx and interface take, say 1Ah every 3 to 4 hours. About a week to a dead battery.

Being able to switch it off is actually useful on its own. I can park a chair in my garage from my bed, with my quadcopter on he seat (it has a camera and transmitter so I drive by looking at my laptop) by driving it through the house and switching it off. My carer retrieves the quadcopter later on. Works with an old laptop and skype too.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Rye » 03 Jul 2018, 11:45

Just curious, why do all the mods? Wouldn't that drain the battery as well? Also, can you steer me to the Sleep setup please?
Rye

Postby Burgerman » 03 Jul 2018, 12:39

With the mod done, only the RC RX and Woodys interface are powered. The chair itself can be off. Takes much less current while unused. And it then allows you to turn it on via RC.

The R-net GRABS whichever module turns on the system as the active joystick.

Sleep?
Under CONTROLS > PROFILED there are sleep timer and standby settings.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Rye » 04 Jul 2018, 17:44

Still no power to the Rx after setting the Sleep Timer. Anything else that needs to be setup?
Rye

Postby woodygb » 04 Jul 2018, 18:59

It would seem that turning OFF the OMNI turns off the 12v supply and there is no setting to prevent this happening.....

This is a quirk that I was unaware of and cannot rectify without reworking the interface to take power from the charging port.
An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field.
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby Rye » 04 Jul 2018, 19:18

Well I set the Sleep Timer and allowed it to put itself to sleep, but there is still no Sleep 12v. That's why I thought there may be another setting that needed to be setup, such as Standby. The manual doesn't seem to get deep into the setup process. How long have you been making these? Has no one else ran in to this dilemma?
Rye

Postby Burgerman » 04 Jul 2018, 19:32

There was definitely 12v on my omni plus when sleeping. But I never used sleep as leaving it on eats the battery. Likely that many othrs use the interface with a joystick instead of an omni so would never know.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby woodygb » 04 Jul 2018, 20:12

How long have you been making these?
...Gosh ...Ummm ...5 years I think... with no previous reports of problems.
An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field.
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby Rye » 12 Jul 2018, 03:32

I'm still struggling to get 12v during sleep mode. Sleep 12v in set to ON and I set the timer to 5 min. It goes to sleep (I know this because it displays several z's) and the Rx turns off with it. Burger, are you able to send your settings for your OMNI? I'm at a loss.
Rye

Postby Burgerman » 12 Jul 2018, 03:37

Right now I am only able to send for a takaway. Stuck on my bed for 3 weeks. My omni may be different. Its a Pilot Plus version (Omni Plus). Not R-Net. And while I remember testing it while doing my own version of the RC interface, in about 1999 I have it switched off. So the chairs battery doesent die while parked up.

Also its worth asking PG Drives as there may be a bug, and a firmware update. You are looking at the correct pin?
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby woodygb » 12 Jul 2018, 10:31

Have you set SLEEP to ON on the correct Port?

1. Plug in the R-net Programming Dongle and then power ON the chair
2. Press the Mode button until you get to the OBP (Onboard Programming) menu. The OBP
menu will appear as an hourglass while loading
3. With the navigation buttons, navigate to Omni > Global > Sleep 12V, and toggle Sleep 12V
to On with the Plus & Minus buttons
4. Navigate back to the Omni menu, then navigate to Omni > Port 1 (or Port 2 if interface is in
Port 2)
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby Rye » 12 Jul 2018, 12:04

I uploaded my settings. I've tried many combinations with the Omni settings, but I haven't gotten it right yet. czy
Attachments
Rnet for RC2.pdf
(300.34 KiB) Downloaded 1072 times
Rye

Postby fdew » 05 Sep 2018, 20:36

I have a friend who has a Action Track chair It uses a curtis 1740 controller. He uses a Attendant control on a long cord to move it in and out of a trailer before transferring himself to and from the chair.

He would like to do the same thing but cordless. His dream is
Attendant control Joystick assembly - transmitter - Receiver - 1740 controller
I understand that is not possible. I think I am reading here that the closes is
RC transmitter with controls - RC Receiver, Your device to convert Receiver 0 - 5VDC signals to inputs for a -- OMNI type input device such as D49850/07 PG Drives Display Screen for Power Wheelchair - 1740 controller)

Some questions. 1. Do I have the right OMNI thing? Are there better, simpler ones? Have you moved on to replace the OMNI unit as well?
2. Is it possible to use the nice high quality attendant Joystick with some transmitter - receiver and your device?
3. Have I made any sense at all?

Thanks.
fdew

Postby fdew » 06 Sep 2018, 00:53

I have read through the entire thread and the blue tooth thread and it looks like the Blue Tooth version is simpler. Also it looks like I don't need a omni box if I am willing to do some minor hacking of the main or attendent pod.

So for blue tooth it looks like the path is Phone, your box, hacked Pod. Is that correct?

BTW as I said in the last post, this is only to move a unmanned chair on and off a trailer.

Thanks again.
fdew

Postby Burgerman » 06 Sep 2018, 01:02

Correct.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Dynamic Controller Question

Postby titanko » 23 Sep 2018, 10:22

Hi all :).
Hello, I'm new to this forum and I would like to welcome you all nicely. In this thread, I found a lot of useful information, because I also deal with RC steering wheelchairs.

My project will be a rc-controlled robot assistant for lawn mowing, snow plowing, in the garden, etc. I found out that I have an Invacare Dynamic Controller that has 6 wires on joystick connected to the main PCB. Two of the wires (black and red) are ground and +5V, while the other four change the voltage according to the joystick position between 1.0 V and 3.8V.
image1 (2).jpeg
image1 (2).jpeg (39.06 KiB) Viewed 47881 times

I believe that this is compatible with PGTD to control the wheel chair by my RC Spectrum radio with here described solution.

My question is how to switch also the "gaerbox" or how to change the gear which is controlled with two push buttons (+ and -) and has 5 positions.
image2 (2).jpeg
image2 (2).jpeg (23.6 KiB) Viewed 47881 times

Thanks for any comment, answer,...

Sandi
titanko

Postby woodygb » 23 Sep 2018, 11:22

Hi Sandi,

I found out that I have an Invacare Dynamic Controller that has 6 wires on joystick connected to the main PCB. Two of the wires (black and red) are ground and +5V, while the other four change the voltage according to the joystick position between 1.0 V and 3.8V.

This neutral voltage is Vs/2 ...where Vs = the joysticks supply voltage in most cases it is 5v .
A common control voltage swing is 1.4v -1.2v with a 2.5v center / off / neutral voltage ...

Note that there is a PAIR of voltages for each channel... fore/aft & left/right... and the difference ..if any ... between each PAIR is used for error checking.

This PAIR can either mimic each other ... i.e the voltage swing should match OR they can be opposed and the voltage DIFFERENCE from Vs/2 should match.

The change in "gear" is a profile change ( There can be up to 5 profiles programmed ) ...this is usually achieved via a press of the button pad/s ( momentary switch ) as is the ON/OFF.

Feel free to ask more questions... Cheers Woody
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby woodygb » 23 Sep 2018, 11:49

More ...

Measure the voltages of the four wires in X & Y Axis.... report back.

I'd not bother with any profile / gear changes ...simply set the joysticks profile to MAX / 100% and ( via some programming of the Arduino ) use the R/C throttle channel to increase / reduce the voltage swing output by the Arduino and thus vary MAX speed.

The joystick pod looks like a weird and early version of the PGDT VSi ( all in one ) pod.
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby LROBBINS » 23 Sep 2018, 14:18

Perhaps it looks like a VSI, but the OP says it's Dynamic, in which case it also houses the bulk of the chair programming, with only motor control functions residing in the PM. Still, I see no reason you can't use your scheme with this by tapping into the wires from the joystick. BTW, my recollection is that the duplicate outputs for each axis in Dynamic joysticks are parallel. In any case, measuring the swings will tell you what you have to generate in the Arduino.
LROBBINS

Postby woodygb » 23 Sep 2018, 14:27

Lenny,
The controller appears to be an integral control system ( everything seems to be in the pod including the control module ) akin to the VSi .

I have never seen this particular Invacare / Dynamic model and whilst I'm aware that Invacare bought Dynamic in 1993, I'm not sure that the pictured control pod is .
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby LROBBINS » 23 Sep 2018, 17:44

Dynamic did make, and perhaps still makes, integral controllers. I've had 0 experience with them. The actual pot looks like the typical inductive pot that they used for years and years, but so did other manufacturers.
LROBBINS

Postby titanko » 24 Sep 2018, 08:42

Thanks Woody and others for quick respose ...

Here is more detailed info:

Wheelchair is Invacare Mistral3. I don' t know the real age, but batteries are from y2013. Controller is "all in one", unfortunately is the label to faded and I can not read the part no.

detailed measurment table:
joystick movement.png

I also disassemble the pot - it is inductive pot:
IMG_5374.JPG

The "gear" change does not affect voltage measurements.
My opinion is to solve the joystick with Woody' s solution and gear change with 2 RC switches. Fortunately the push buttons on the controller are - 1 push - 1 move and not slide through all 5 selection.
Only problem is that I won' t know in which position the "gear" is at the moment. Maybe only with camera mounted :ugeek:

Thanks for your cooperation, Woody is it possible to program Arduino to the table voltages approx..? I know that final setup will be with trimming the RC transmitter.
titanko

Postby titanko » 24 Sep 2018, 09:01

One mistake :oops: in the table is corrected X- value for 4(brown) wire:
joystick mov.png
joystick mov.png (35.17 KiB) Viewed 47819 times
titanko

Postby woodygb » 24 Sep 2018, 09:03

The voltage swings are opposing ...not really a big problem.... I use 2 digipots piggy backed on top of each other for this instead of one.

Your misconstruing the joystick voltage not changing with a gear shift.... How can it? ... interpreting the joysticks voltage reading and deciding what the controller outputs ..is done in the joysticks software.

Trust me ..Set the profile @ 100% and use the R/C Throttle channel to reduce the voltage swing OUT of the Arduino.
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby woodygb » 24 Sep 2018, 09:28

The various profiles just interpret ... via software.. the joystick voltages .... thus if a profile is set at 50% of MAX Speed then the voltage swing is perceived as 50% by the the controller.

You can take over this software perceived voltage swing by keeping the profile at 100% and outputting a reduced voltage swing via the Arduino.
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby LROBBINS » 24 Sep 2018, 10:37

Do be careful around the leads to the moving coil - it is the weakest link in that pot. The other one, but only if there is a seat lift and someone drives it up under a table is the gimbal pin. I had to replace both more than once when Rachi still had that kind of pot - tricky soldering for one, a piece of drill rod for the other.
LROBBINS

Postby woodygb » 24 Sep 2018, 11:34

The joystick is a Commando Dynamic DC50SN01 9 Pin ..it has a 5 pin programming port next to the charging port .
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby titanko » 24 Sep 2018, 16:36

:thumbup: Thanks Woody for explanation.
I was worried that changing the "gear" also somehow affects the controller output for the electric motor. If I understand right with "gear" profiles only the joystick resolution changes, and with this I believe shifting is more accurate at lower speeds. Forgive me, I do not have practical experience and that's why such sluggish questions arise :shifty: .

So if I understand right, what I need is:
- set the "gear" to 5 or 100%
- connect your' s Arduino interface and connect to my spectrum receiver with two channels
- set the interface on the transmitter to the exponential level to achieve precise drive movements at low speeds

Is it possible to combine original joystick function with RC commands. I would like to have both. Do I need some switching or it works automatically in parallel.
Can I combine both functions - RC receiver with original Joystick. Do I need to switch with the switch or the thing already automatically works both simultaneously in parallel. How in this case the shift of the joystick affects the outputs of the Arduino?

Can I contact you by mail to order the PGTD?

Sandi
titanko

Postby woodygb » 24 Sep 2018, 17:48

titanko wrote::thumbup: Thanks Woody for explanation.
I was worried that changing the "gear" also somehow affects the controller output for the electric motor. If I understand right with "gear" profiles only the joystick resolution changes, and with this I believe shifting is more accurate at lower speeds. Forgive me, I do not have practical experience and that's why such sluggish questions arise :shifty: .

So if I understand right, what I need is:
- set the "gear" to 5 or 100% ...YES
- connect your' s Arduino interface and connect to my spectrum receiver with two channels..
IF your prepared to cut the wires from the joystick to the board ... then solder 8 or 9 connections ..as I haven't the plugs etc to suit that model of joystick to make it a fairly simple plug in.

NOTE ... 3 CHANNELS ARE NEEDED IF YOU REQUIRE ON/OFF VIA THE R/C TRANSMITTER

- set the interface on the transmitter to the exponential level to achieve precise drive movements at low speeds... You shouldn't need to..but you can.

Is it possible to combine original joystick function with RC commands....YES

I would like to have both. Do I need some switching or it works automatically in parallel... Automatic

Can I combine both functions - RC receiver with original Joystick...YES

Do I need to switch with the switch or the thing already automatically works both simultaneously in parallel.
How in this case the shift of the joystick affects the outputs of the Arduino?... Ummm What?

Can I contact you by mail to order the PGTD?..YES

Sandi
Niels Bohr
woodygb

PreviousNext

Return to Everything Powerchair