DWIZ-ADAPT

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Re: DWIZ-ADAPT

Postby woodygb » 23 Sep 2021, 15:39

Sure ...
An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field.
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby wcd@tawebster.co.uk » 02 Nov 2021, 18:58

Hi all, and in particular Woodygb,

To recap... trying to swap a DX2-REM550 controller on an Invacare Storm 4 and a DX-REMG90A on a Storm 4 x-plore. The x-plore had issues, and went back to dealer; It's back now.
The home brew circuit (https://www.wheelchairdriver.com/board/ ... =2&t=10808) with XLR connector connects to the REM550 and is recognised in Wizard 6 (thanks Woody), but the REMG90A has a 5 pin miniature socket as well as the 3pin XLR charging socket. Connecting the wizard to the REMG90A via 3 pin socket is fruitless (as I expected), but I can't find a 5 pin plug to buy anywhere (This is referred to as a Hirose plug in numerous threads on here).
Question 1: Will it actually be possible to swap the 2 controllers on the chairs? - I ASSUMED it would be possible, purely because they are both Dynamics, which may be short-sighted of me.
Question 2: Anyone know where I can get my hands on one of the 5 pin plugs.
Question 3: Assuming Q2 is fruitful, will the wizard connect using the workaround circuitry via the 5 pin plug, or do I need a different workaround?
Answers most gratefully received and thanks for everyones time and help with this, I wouldn't have a chance of resolving this without this forum.
wcd@tawebster.co.uk

Postby woodygb » 02 Nov 2021, 19:19

Question 1 ...No idea....Rover might know.

Connection via the hirose is fairly simple ...you just need a RS232 - USB Adapter and 3 Dupont leads.

DO NOT USE WIZARD 6 ..Use The "special" version of Wizard 5 .
DUPONT HIROSE.jpg

Note that the 5 pin Hirose plugs are now obsolete....here are the part numbers should you wish to chase around the web.

798-HR21210P5PC71
Mfr. No:
HR212-10P-5PC(71)
Mfr.:
Hirose Electric

Mouser No:
798-HR10-PC-211
Mfr. No:
HR10-PC-211
Mfr.:
Hirose Electric
Circular Push Pull Connectors MALE CONTACTS GOLD
An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field.
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby rover220 » 02 Nov 2021, 22:05

Yes it's possible. I'll need the full spec of the chair and I'll almost certainly have a base program to suit.
rover220

Postby gcebiker » 03 Nov 2021, 01:08

The 5 pin is the cable that goes before the DWIZ adapter, you dont need it (the DWIZ adapeter)

Looks from the pictures on the internet that one is a brushed motor and the other the GB brushless motors.
I have the programmers for both if anyone needs a copy of the base program.
http://greenmobility.com.au/rc-wheelchair-controller/
My YouTube Ch -- https://www.youtube.com/user/gcebiker
gcebiker

Postby gcebiker » 03 Nov 2021, 01:22

Never mind me, i was looking at the pictures for a X-plore TT+ banghead https://www.medicalexpo.com/prod/invaca ... 48827.html
Looks like it comes in a brushed version also.
http://greenmobility.com.au/rc-wheelchair-controller/
My YouTube Ch -- https://www.youtube.com/user/gcebiker
gcebiker

Postby wcd@tawebster.co.uk » 06 Nov 2021, 13:23

Hi all,
So its all going tickety boo so far. Wizard 6 finds and connects to both controllers (DX-REMG90A and DX2-REM550). I'm reluctant to actually make any programming changes as numerous ppl have advised using the 'special' version of Wizard 5.
I've found the stock Wizard 5, but can't find the 'special' version anywhere, here or on the web, so I wonder if someone could please PM me a link to this 'special' Wizard 5 software?
Rover220, I have pm'd you, but haven't heard since.
Thanks

rover220 wrote:Yes it's possible. I'll need the full spec of the chair and I'll almost certainly have a base program to suit.
wcd@tawebster.co.uk

Postby woodygb » 06 Nov 2021, 13:58

P.M. sent...
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby rover220 » 06 Nov 2021, 14:21

wcd@tawebster.co.uk wrote:Hi all,
So its all going tickety boo so far. Wizard 6 finds and connects to both controllers (DX-REMG90A and DX2-REM550). I'm reluctant to actually make any programming changes as numerous ppl have advised using the 'special' version of Wizard 5.
I've found the stock Wizard 5, but can't find the 'special' version anywhere, here or on the web, so I wonder if someone could please PM me a link to this 'special' Wizard 5 software?
Rover220, I have pm'd you, but haven't heard since.
Thanks

rover220 wrote:Yes it's possible. I'll need the full spec of the chair and I'll almost certainly have a base program to suit.

I replied a couple of days ago.
rover220

Postby Trena » 04 Dec 2021, 12:28

Hi everyone, can someone send me the "special" Wizard 5 link? Thanks in advance
Trena

Postby woodygb » 04 Dec 2021, 12:34

Check your messages
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby pajowima » 10 Dec 2021, 20:34

Good evening, I just subscribed as new member to this forum. I am a retired electronics engineer and have experience in building speed pedelecs from scratch. While searching for information about the Rhino2 DS90 controller I found this great valuable website.
My wife has a mobility scooter with the Rhino2 controller: a Freerider FR168 3S. After a charging cycle it suddenly would not run, with 9 blinks on the green LED, indicating a defective controller. Checked all signals and cabling, could not find any external errors. Key-on means steady LED, as soon as you throttle up the parking brake does not release and the 9 blinks rhythm starts. Motor is O.K., brake solenoid and its microswitch are O.K. If the parking brake is released you get the usual 5 blinks. If you throttle up with the charger connected 6 blinks, which is also normal. All other functions seem to work normal except driving. So I decided to open the Rhino2, visually inspect the electronics and made some static measurements. 3 Schottky diodes around the solenoid driver BSP78 are O.K. The BSP78 has no short circuit. I couldn’t find a schematic diagram or service manual of the controller.
So now I will try to find another controller on ebay or the internet. Not from an official dealer, because they charge €500 for a controller, just as much as the current value of the whole scooter. So I will built the transistor interface circuit described by anubis801 to combine Rx and Tx to the single pin interface of the Rhino2 to allow reading out the parameter table and copy the same parameters into another unit.
And now my question: where could I find the “special” version of the Wizard 5 programming software to be able to do this?
[b][/b]
pajowima

Postby woodygb » 10 Dec 2021, 20:52

I suggest that you build this interface version.

https://www.wheelchairdriver.com/board/ ... 00#p173572
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby pajowima » 10 Dec 2021, 21:53

Thank you, it is exactly the one I intended to built. In the same way on veroboard.
pajowima

Postby pajowima » 10 Dec 2021, 22:00

And I think it's better to use an FTDI USB to serial converter so that 5V is available too from the USB. Seems better than using the 24V and reducing that by means zener diodes. In that case I would have preferred a 78L05 or so. But with the USB-serial interface the SW can run on a W10 machine instead of on an old slow XP having a serial interface.
pajowima

Postby YellowBuzzaroundEX » 04 Jan 2022, 00:15

If you want to build what you need, the advice in this thread may be helpful. Alternatively, you might be able to buy what you need here http://www.mobilityscooterpart.com

That places sells DWIZ-ADAPT and related items.
YellowBuzzaroundEX

Postby pajowima » 04 Jan 2022, 20:35

Thank you for the info.
Here is my update of the repair attempt of the Rhino2 DS90.
Every 2 weeks I charge the batteries to keep them in condition and, switch the key on and see what happens. To my big surprise some day the scooter started again.
The weather had some large temperature changes in that week. That pointed in the direction of intermittent contacts, somewhere in the wiring, connectors or in the controller itself. The scooter now sometimes runs and sometimes gives the 9 blinks. After a time consuming investigation of putting mechanical load on wiring and connectors and ohmic measuring of the wiring, conclusion was: cold solder joints somewhere on the PCB. Control voltage deviation from the mid 2.5V did not switch on the power relais on the PCB, which is the first step in the power up sequency of the controller. Apperently the controller checks if the realy switches on, and if it detects this is not the case, it gives 9 blinks.
The DS90 is well constructed, but has lead free solder joints of heavy connection points of faston connectors directly into ground planes without thermal relieve spots. Inspection with a microscope showed hairline cracks, e.g. cold welds.
The cause finally appeared to be the coil connections of the big 24V 40A relais on the PCB. I sucted away the lead free solder and re-soldered them with 60-40 solder.
This cured the problem, the intermittend error mode with 9 blinks definitely disappeared. Also the solder joints of the 6.3mm fastons were suspect and to be sure I re soldered these too.
pajowima

Postby woodygb » 04 Jan 2022, 20:39

Good information and detective work . :thumbup:
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby Jinks02 » 11 Feb 2022, 21:55

Hi Woody,

Did you manage to figure out what was wrong with the board that wcd@tawebster.co.uk built back in September, as I have built one and have exactly the same problem with the Ohmic values on the veroboard lines showing as 68.7k instead of 43.2k, and 79.11k instead of 54.2k

I have checked the build a few times and can’t seem to find anything wrong

Many Thanks
Jinks02
Jinks02

Postby woodygb » 12 Feb 2022, 00:51

Ah ...The values that I posted were for a slightly different build ...apologies.

I HAVE NOW REMOVED IT.
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby woodygb » 12 Feb 2022, 00:56

Jinks02 wrote:Hi Woody,

Did you manage to figure out what was wrong with the board that wcd@tawebster.co.uk built back in September,------------------------------------------------
I have checked the build a few times and can’t seem to find anything wrong

Many Thanks
Jinks02

I simply cleaned up the board and re-soldered some connections and it sprang to life.
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby PazonGamer » 04 Mar 2022, 16:16

Hi! Long story short, i have a mobility scooter that uses the rhino2 controller (its a comet alpine hd) and i would like it to be a little quicker (aka. go faster than 10 km/h) since its the only thing that can get me around and that busses/trains here in norway won't let me on because my wheelchair is too big to fit!

Is there any way i can get a cheap programer + software to program it to make it quicker? (have looked into motor swapping, but its too much work for me aswell as i don't have much money)

I have some electronic skills, but not enough to be working with small components like soldering my own programer. But i have an arduino uno and pc both with and without serial ports + usb.

Any help would be appreciated! :D
PazonGamer

Postby woodygb » 04 Mar 2022, 17:25

You will need to make / acquire an interface for the Rhino2.

HOWEVER ...Your speed setting is most likely to be set @ 100% already ...so you will NOT be able to program any further increase in speed.
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby Kaschperlpropper » 10 Apr 2022, 18:57

hello.. i finally managed to connect my control unit to the pc.. everything that has to do with forward speed is already at 100 percent, but the wheelchair only travels 6 km/h. Can anyone please tell me what values ​​I need to change?
many thanks for your help.
Kaschperlpropper

Postby woodygb » 10 Apr 2022, 19:05

Do you have the specs on your Invacare Orion ?

Could you also upload a saved file of your Invacare Orion settings ...Upload it to the forum as a zip file.
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby woodygb » 10 Apr 2022, 19:57

Also which model and does it have a speed sensor?
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby Burgerman » 10 Apr 2022, 22:30

That scooter has a speed reduction when turning - so a sensor connected to a programmed inhibit.

It also can be bought with 3 different motors.

• 6 km/h: S1: 240 W, Maxpeak 500 W
• 10 km/h: S1: 240 W, Maxpeak 600 W
• 12 km/h: S1: 250 W, Maxpeak 1200 W

Which one is yours? Because this is likely your problem...
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Kaschperlpropper » 11 Apr 2022, 07:10

good morning... unfortunately I don't know which motor is installed... but I'll try to find out.
where is this speed sensor installed? is it on the engine or on a wheel?

thank you.
Kaschperlpropper

Postby Burgerman » 11 Apr 2022, 11:21

On the steering... It tells the scooter its turning and it automagically slows down. Its likely your scooter is going it its full speed already.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Kaschperlpropper » 12 Apr 2022, 08:14

I installed a 24V 240W 20A motor. model number 511100-61530 is it possible to get this wheelchair faster? thank you for your help
Kaschperlpropper

PreviousNext

Return to Everything Powerchair