Blue Tooth remote control

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Blue Tooth remote control

Postby woodygb » 22 Sep 2014, 08:52

Following on from a suggestion in the Radio Control thread http://www.wheelchairdriver.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3790&start=380#p59282 I produced a BT interface for the PGDT range of joystick pods.

Mark from this forum kindly volunteered to test the interface and has produced a video showing it in action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLoXDDKCfC0

No bugs have been found so far and the only critique was my use of words that are displayed on the Android Phone... I have used HIGH & LOW for the SPEED selected indication ... Mark would prefer FAST & SLOW.
woodygb

Re: Blue Tooth remote control

Postby Burgerman » 22 Sep 2014, 09:45

Looking good.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby rover220 » 22 Sep 2014, 13:31

That is excellent.
rover220

Postby rustyjames » 22 Sep 2014, 21:05

That's amazing, Woody, are you going to making those available for purchase?
rustyjames

Postby woodygb » 22 Sep 2014, 21:47

Yes .... Mark has already bought the prototype and ordered 2 more.

I've presently run out of some parts to build the interfaces ....so it'll be next week before I start to make any more.

Price ....Ummmm......I'll need to do some re-costing .......... probably £60 plus p&p .

NOTE:- That YOU the end user will need to dismantle your pod & solder 3 wires/connections to the pods board... plus cutting a nick in the pods split joint for the interface wire.

This is something that I can do if anyone sends me a pod.
woodygb

Postby rustyjames » 22 Sep 2014, 23:08

Sounds good, I'll let you know, first I have to update my phone-- I've had the same one for almost 10 years and it's definitely not a smart phone! Is there a recommended phone to use with this interface? I've never really studied up on phones so I'm pretty much clueless.
rustyjames

Postby woodygb » 22 Sep 2014, 23:44

Don't ask me !..... I had to borrow a Samsung Android phone from next door.... my phone is the most basic that I could get about 6 years ago.

I have however asked my son to find me something appropriate for testing the B.T.
woodygb

Postby s7even » 22 Sep 2014, 23:50

It is an Android phone. https://www.google.com/?q=Android
I cant work out how you got this to work without understanding the BT/App/Android part. Fascinating.
s7even

Postby Mark » 23 Sep 2014, 00:02

Hi Rustyjames,
One of the phones I tested was a Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 which runs Android 2.3.6 and there was no difference in performance between that and the Nexus 5 which runs the latest operating system ( Android 4.4.4).
Just avoid any i-phone because the program runs under Android which most non-Apple smartphones use. I have an old tablet here that uses a very old Android, 2.2 from memory. If necessary I can try downloading the software on that. I am guessing that any smartphone that uses the Android system would be OK. You don't need Woody's box to see if the application will download to your phone or tablet, Just go to the link and try it.
Mark
Mark

Postby rustyjames » 23 Sep 2014, 00:04

Any chance of this working off an ipad? That I already have.
rustyjames

Postby rustyjames » 23 Sep 2014, 00:15

Thanks Mark for that info, I'll try that. I'm new to smart phones, and Bluesnaggletooth :mrgreen: and all that so I have some learning to do. But eventually I'm going to have to update my old phone so it's time to start learning it. I also have a Nexus 7 so I assume it'll work with that?
rustyjames

Postby Mark » 23 Sep 2014, 00:20

Yes I tested and it worked perfectly with the Nexus 7. Mine is the original 2012? Year model. I got exactly the same range (28 metres) as with the two smart phones. You'll have a bigger joystick on the screen too!
Mark

Postby rustyjames » 23 Sep 2014, 00:24

OK, Nexus 7 it is! One less thing to buy!
rustyjames

Postby Mark » 23 Sep 2014, 00:32

That's the advantage of Woody's Bluetooth system ( from a suggestion by Alexlebrit). You don't need to buy and learn about rc gear unless you want much greater range.
Mark

Postby woodygb » 23 Sep 2014, 07:47

s7even wrote:It is an Android phone. https://www.google.com/?q=Android
I cant work out how you got this to work without understanding the BT/App/Android part. Fascinating.

I picked this particular App because it had the joystick ,"spoke" Arduino and the developer was available if needed.

http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=173246.0

Writing an addition to the base Arduino program was relatively simple.

Cheers Woody
woodygb

Postby Burgerman » 24 Sep 2014, 00:22

>>>That's the advantage of Woody's Bluetooth system ( from a suggestion by Alexlebrit). You don't need to buy and learn about rc gear unless you want much greater range.

And of course you always "should!" have a phone with you.

It lacks the fine control of physical joystick that allows some "feel". So will never be used by model plane or car enthusiasts!
So control is going to be less intuitive/accurate but at low speeds this doesn't matter much. And signal security may be lower. (interference possibility & variable range). But has the advantage of being very simple, and you always have it with you. As long as the chairs speed is set (programmed in the interface) to be slow, then it will be fine for moving a chair about.
So different priorities.

But extremely useful - esp if you are not already into RC systems as I am.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Alexlebrit » 24 Sep 2014, 21:28

Woody, that is fantastic, YOU DID IT!

I just showed Mark's video to Stef, my wife, and she said "where do we send the cheque?" I'm sure I can manage to solder three joints despite being a total numpty. We did wonder why Mark's Vienna was trussed up like a turkey though.
Alexlebrit

Postby woodygb » 24 Sep 2014, 21:36

For the purpose of testing , Mark simply unplugged the original VSi ( which is still attached to the arm rest )....and bungee'd on a spare VSi to which he had added the Blue Tooth interface.

He has asked for another two interfaces .
woodygb

Postby rustyjames » 24 Sep 2014, 23:27

I have a question: would I need a data plan for my Nexus 7 for this interface to work? Right now I just use it through my wireless router around the house.
rustyjames

Postby garriew » 24 Sep 2014, 23:51

rustyjames wrote:I have a question: would I need a data plan for my Nexus 7 for this interface to work? Right now I just use it through my wireless router around the house.

I don't have this but no. It doesn't even need to have cell service. I have an Android phone w/ no service and can still use the bluetooth and wifi on it.

-g
garriew

Postby Burgerman » 25 Sep 2014, 00:23

Anything with BT. Presumably there will be some windows software too so a win phone or a win laptop too.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby rustyjames » 25 Sep 2014, 01:38

Woody, when you get caught up with your other commitments, let me know and I'll buy one of them too, if you don't mind.
rustyjames

Postby woodygb » 25 Sep 2014, 07:46

I'm happy to make interfaces .....the small profit that I make on each helps boost my limited income.
woodygb

Postby rustyjames » 25 Sep 2014, 13:07

Sounds good, I'll PM you later then.
rustyjames

Postby Furio » 25 Sep 2014, 14:51

Hi Woody,

Could I use this BT remote on R-net? If so, do I need any additional module.?

Furio.
Furio

Postby woodygb » 25 Sep 2014, 17:36

Furio wrote:Hi Woody,

Could I use this BT remote on R-net? If so, do I need any additional module.?

Furio.

No additional module other than the interface ...BUT ....I've never had one in my hand so can't be 100% sure.

IF the joystick is the same as the rest of the PGDT range ...then apart from identifying the ON/OFF connection ....there shouldn't be any problem.
woodygb

Postby Alexlebrit » 28 Sep 2014, 17:34

woodygb wrote:For the purpose of testing , Mark simply unplugged the original VSi ( which is still attached to the arm rest )....and bungee'd on a spare VSi to which he had added the Blue Tooth interface.

He has asked for another two interfaces .

Well definitely put us down for one...
Alexlebrit

Postby Mark » 29 Sep 2014, 20:10

Short Video of Bluetooth control of F55 with Pilot + control pod.

Sorry about the video quality, but done in a hurry as it was getting dark and I was trying to avoid getting wet. Speed setting on the F55 control pod was 3 leds lit, and most of the accelerations and delays have been removed from the F55 control programme as per BM's main website.

It's much easier to control when you aren't holding another phone in the other hand and trying to film it! I wouldn't like to do this indoors with an F55 without a lot more practice and a slower speed setting! There is no "feel" giving you tactile feedback on a touch screen. This didn't cause me any difficulty with the VSi controller on lower powered (and slower) chairs ( Vienna and Vienna chassis ) but I certainly noticed the difference with the F55!

The bluetooth module and spare Pilot+ pod connected to it are just lying on the seat as this was just a quick test.

http://youtu.be/0selHNrNsEM
Mark

Postby Burgerman » 29 Sep 2014, 21:05

Very good! Looks pretty safe.

As long as you keep it slow. Rather set to slow.

I wouldn't dare try this on my chair with a phone and no joystick. The RC transmitter is very good to hold and you can feel how far you move the sticks. It allows fine control. In the garden and chasing the dog slowly its set to 15mph with quite wild acceleration. So any sudden slips would end badly. I am using around 1.5mm (1/16th inch) of stick travel here. And in the last bit, the faster part in the driveway, about 1/2 of the sticks full travel. When braking this is just a tiny bit of back stick. http://www.wheelchairdriver.com/gopro/RC-BM3.mp4

But for moving the chair around slowly, if it is set to a slow speed, say in your house then the phone/Bluetooth is all you really need. I just wouldn't feel comfortable personally as I am used to a "proper" transmitter with two sticks. http://www.wheelchairdriver.com/images- ... ersion.jpg
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby woodygb » 29 Sep 2014, 21:31

Mark has reported a glitch that needs addressing .... the interface is currently programmed so that the joystick acts as NORMAL when a B.T. signal is not present....unfortunately this has had an unforeseen side effect .

When a B.T. signal is LOST it also reverts to NORMAL speed ... thus if it should regain the signal it will no longer be SLOW.... so we get an unexpected speed increase when the B.T. connection kicks back in .

A fairly simple programming fix ... i'll make the B.T. default SLOW and write some code to recognise when the joystick is the control input ...( NORMAL speed )....rather than the BT.
woodygb

Next

Return to Everything Powerchair