Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Re: Zinger power add-on

Postby Blade Runner » 02 Feb 2011, 21:51

I knew that the boma would not be real usable. but I know that Joec is
going for something light weight fot travel. I liked the back half and was
thinking instead of trying to fit something to a standard manual chair
using friction drive. Make a frame that would support hub motors, since
all the ones I have seen need to be supported on both sides.
I don't think the frame would have to be as heavy as the Boma since
it would be for urban cruising and shouldn't have to be much wider
than the push rails on a manual chair.

Bob
Blade Runner

Postby JoeC » 02 Feb 2011, 22:12

I actually haven't been able to find any hub motors that are light enough to be useful while providing the torque required for satisfactory wheelchair use. If you know of any, I'm eager to see. Most of the hub motors I've seen weigh more than standard wheelchair motors and provide less thrust.
JoeC

Postby pattherat » 03 Feb 2011, 01:07

Looks like they've done away with the hub motors and are using a more powerful transaxle type motor and improved the rear suspension.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsVcW-D6WNk
pattherat

Postby JoeC » 03 Feb 2011, 01:14

It looks like progress. I especially liked the shot of driving UP a snowy stairway- I think that's what cpguy wants his chair to do.
JoeC

Postby Lord Chatterley » 03 Feb 2011, 05:19

In the real world you have to stop - but would it start?
Lord Chatterley

Postby ex-Gooserider » 29 Apr 2011, 06:07

Bringing this thread back to life a bit, just heard about this device http://www.numotionusa.com/default.html that seems to be what was developed by the folks that did the DPX drive system, which was a setup that used a cordless drill for power. I had a bit of a chat with the guy selling it a couple days ago, as I'd expressed interest in the DPX based prototype.

According to him, it is about 25lbs, with battery. The lower unit can be pivoted up and locked when wanting to go manual, and the twist grip throttle arm will hinge down out of the way as well...

It only works with rigid, non-folding chairs, and only ones with round tube frames - he said it wouldn't work with my Quickie Q-7 because it uses an oval cross section frame for strength, and his brackets wouldn't fit (Seems like it wouldn't be a big deal to make a different set of brackets) The other problem as I see it, is that he said it was not designed for easy removal, just the fold up and lock function. This would rule it out for me, as the big application I'd have for it is when traveling in a non-accessible vehicle with the GF. The way we do it is I transfer into the vehicle, and she then picks up the chair and puts it in the back... She has medical issues that limit her to lifting around 25-30 lbs, maximum. She can (barely) handle the ultralight Q-7, but would not be able to lift the Q-7 plus drive unit. The original DPX drive unit was supposedly designed as a quick detach system, so it would have been possible for her to separate the chair and drive, then put each in the car separately.

Seems to me that any kind of manual chair drive system should ideally be able to easily detach from the chair, except maybe a couple lbs of brackets, in order to keep the weight of the chair reasonable.... Otherwise, the Numotion unit looks pretty good, assuming it does what it claims...

ex-Gooserider
ex-Gooserider

Previous

Return to Everything Powerchair