Under construction - fast 36v powerchair

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Re: Under construction - fast 36v powerchair

Postby woodygb » 11 May 2011, 13:11

JoeC wrote:Is it really new? Regardless, it's just for scooters. Controllers of this size have been around for a long time. It only controls one motor so you would need two of those to run a powerchair, and then you would need something else to handle mixing the joystick signals and splitting up motor commands for regular powerchair steering. You could do it, but it would be a bit of a science project.

I don't believe that the joystick "mixing" would be a problem as it's already mechanically "mixed" by the joysticks internal potentiometers orientation....I have checked this by dismantling "a" P&G Joystick which I have in front of me...there is slightly less throw in the X axis ( turn )than the Y axis ( fwd / rev )which could be is easily programmed out if desired.
Attachments
pots.JPG
pots.JPG (21.4 KiB) Viewed 1766 times
woodygb

Postby woodygb » 11 May 2011, 14:02

Improved pic to show wiper position in relation to stick movement and output voltages at that postion.
The left part of the pic shows a joystick with the "normal" postions for potentiometers ..the right the 45 degree mixed configuration.
Attachments
pots mix volts.JPG
pots mix volts.JPG (36.91 KiB) Viewed 1970 times
woodygb

Postby woodygb » 11 May 2011, 14:36

slightly less throw in the X axis ( turn )than the Y axis ( fwd / rev )which could be is easily programmed out if desired

Typo ...brain fade...error.

Correction :- slightly less throw in the Y axis ( turn ) than the X axis ( fwd / rev ) which could be is easily programmed out if desired
woodygb

Postby Burgerman » 11 May 2011, 16:13

But theres still a huge lack of programming options, compared say to the roboteq. And they still dont like my 46.8v pack...

And the cost is higher.

I just wish they would bring out some real 48v 150 amp and multi chemistry freindly powerchair controllers.

EG right now a "bariatric" or fat chair, or a fast chair isnt an option. So we are limited to 4mph for people with exess weight, and 7.5 to 8.5 mph if you are a lightweight. By battery, controller issues. Why should fat people (like me and worsed) have to go slower? Show me an 8mph bariatric powerchair?

They just fit fat seats on 4mph motors with mostly stock chairs and use the same group 24 gels...
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby woodygb » 11 May 2011, 17:37

A one size fits all approach just isn't right when it's obvious that people aren't a std size.

The STD amps limit on mobility controllers certainly needs addressing because as you say the heavier user has a speed and ramp climbing ability imposed on them...

Would be nice to see 48v 150+ amp wheelchair controllers available...hardly a big job for people like P&G ..infact I suspect that the STD controller volts is derated purely by software rather than FET limits.

The 2 scooter controller ...P&G / Curtis etc ... solution could be an option for those that have access to them ( cheap on ebay etc ) if they meet they're volts / amps requirements.
woodygb

Postby Burgerman » 11 May 2011, 19:30

An average male adult for eg is around 14 stone. This works great with an 100 amp 6 to 7mph group 24 setup.

A small adult, child, teen girl etc at say max 7 stone needs half the amps, (50) half the battery power (35), at the same speeds which means a chair about 2/3rds the width/length in keeping with their physical size.

An overweight male of say 28 stone therefore needs 4x group24 batteries, (or a couple of 140Ah ones) a 200amp controller, and a chair that is pohysically around 50 percent bigger to hold them. Theres no point sticking a big seat on an "industry standard 2x group24 chair. Since the occupant is wider and longer than the chair.

Both the childs/small adults chairs are non existent. And the bariatric chairs are just 4mph 100 amp with two group 24 (or 27 in some cases) batteries. All completely rediculous...

Was looking at a girl in town today at around 6 stone. Sat in a chair that did 6mph and was 25 inches wide. She had about 2x the range she needed, more width than she wanted, and about half the speed she could have had based on her weight and battery size etc.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby gac3rd » 11 May 2011, 20:01

Congratulations on the chair start!

Sorry to hear about the bum. Get better.

Good to see you mind is still working while looking at 6 stone girls.
gac3rd

Postby Burgerman » 11 May 2011, 20:45

My bum has been better for a while. Been sorting out the lawn, doing BBQs, creosoteing the fence with a sprayer, and catching up!

Thinking while looking at 6 stone girls is easy when they are about 12! Its when they are about 25 my mind wanders!

Next, continue with this!!! http://www.wheelchairdriver.com/BM-MK3- ... uction.htm

As such, waiting for a cheque to clear so I can get some metal, get a few more bits machined up etc.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Martin O Refurbisher » 11 May 2011, 21:50

Saintort,
The 202 rpm will be wheel shaft rotational speed. Typically, the motors rotate at c 3,000 - 5,000 rpm, go through a 25:1 to 30:1 gearbox, to give a shaft speed of 100 - 200rpm.

Best,

Martin
Martin O Refurbisher

Previous

Return to Everything Powerchair