Programming cable specifically for S-Drive controllers

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Re: Programming cable specifically for S-Drive controllers

Postby jk-tech » 30 Oct 2020, 21:54

Hello,
i looking for the software so long and don’t found it anywhere. Can anybody give me a tip?
I have some pg controllers because i try to build an offroad mobility scooter for my wife. Unfortunately the wigwag poti don’t live long because of heavy shaking. I want find another solution of the expensive poti.
Many thanks
Jens czy
jk-tech

Postby ex-Gooserider » 03 Nov 2020, 03:50

I don't know if it would work for this, but my first thought would be to use an Arduino or other micro-controller to drive a 'digipot' for the input to the controller (see discussions elsewhere for the Arduino based RC system for a more detailed description...) and then finding a more suitable thing to use as a user-interface to feed the Arduino...

This is short on details, but might give you a way to get started...

ex-Goosereider
T-5, ASIA-B
Jazzy 1100
Jazzy Select 6
Quickie Q-7
Invacare Mariner
Want to make / get a better chair, ideally one that stands.
ex-Gooserider

Postby darky » 03 Nov 2020, 11:51

Finally today I did it successfully. The issue was the damn CH340 chip, infact today as I received the FTDI232 I connect it with the same previous wiring setup and it worked like a charm. :dance

So thank you all guys for your time, especially @woodygb, I really appreciate it!

jk-tech wrote:i looking for the software so long and don’t found it anywhere. Can anybody give me a tip?

@jk-tech See PM!
darky

Postby jk-tech » 03 Nov 2020, 13:58

Dear all,
i got the sofwtare, thankjs a lot.

@ ex-Goosereider
i did your idea for a hacked cheap china controller (PWM DC10-55V 60A). Analog input from a standard robust poti, reading it constantily and convert it to an pwm signal, feeding a low pass filter to generate a anlog output from 0 to 5V. It works, but the electronic conversions was to extensive so i looking for another solution.

Then i use an curtis 1225, this controller have the abiloty to modify the sensitive of anlog input. So you can install an robust poti (in use https://docs.rs-online.com/56b9/0900766b81584534.pdf), set the parameter to 15 instead of 100 and so you can use a 285° poti as an 20° poti. This works great, but not with PG Controller.

In case of PG controller it seems to be a current sensing system because the second ground speed poti is in serie with the wigwag and in this case only current measuring is avaible or anothe black magic measuring. Now i know that the ground speed is also avaible at a separate pin after controller programming. I hope i got 0V and 5V on the poti-pins to feed the mcu and drive the controller with analog output.

Many thanks
Jens
jk-tech

Postby woodygb » 03 Nov 2020, 14:04

https://www.4qd.co.uk/product-category/ ... tles-pots/

You do NOT need the second speed limiting pot... simply omit it.
An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field.
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby jk-tech » 03 Nov 2020, 14:31

Dear woodygb,
many thanks for the fast answer.

Unfortunately i need the second ground speed poti, because my wife drives sometimes very dynamical, also in the supermarket and second i want walk and not run alongside of my wife. :lol:

But i'm sure to find a solution.

br
Jens
jk-tech

Postby woodygb » 03 Nov 2020, 15:06

A verbal request to "slow down" might also work.
An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field.
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby woodygb » 03 Nov 2020, 15:27

You do realise that there are 2 wiring options for the speed pot?

Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby hooijdonk » 03 Nov 2020, 16:33

woodygb wrote:Check your P.M.

where can you find the software??

Br
hooijdonk

Postby jofthepioneer » 07 Jan 2021, 23:48

Hi,

I have a Kymco XLS with an s-drive. I need to find the software for modifying the programming along with the cable detailed in this topic.
I am a new member and need help.

Thanks

Jonathan
jofthepioneer

Postby woodygb » 07 Jan 2021, 23:51

Hi Jonathan ...Welcome!

Please add your general location to your profile.

I can provide a lead ...but postage may be prohibitive depending on your location in this world.
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby jofthepioneer » 08 Jan 2021, 11:53

Hi,

Profile updated.

Thanks for the offer of a cable, how much is it? I will probably try myself first , but if I fail I will be in touch for sure.

I will let you know how I got on with everything when done.

Thanks again

Jonathan
jofthepioneer

Postby woodygb » 08 Jan 2021, 12:22

I can offer 2 versions ...one is based on a cheap chinese FTDI chip clone/knock off board @ £15 or one based on a GENUINE FTDI chip cable @ £25.
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby jofthepioneer » 11 Jan 2021, 21:55

Hi all,

As promised, details of my investigations with a Kymco maxi xls.

To start with I tried a couple of usb - ttl adaptors I had kicking around , the first was a genuine pl2303. This did not work.
Next I tired a CH340, again I had this and use quite regularly for other purposes, again this did not work.

Today I received a ft232rl, from a uk seller, but probably fake, it worked- first time no problems.

I have seen some discussion in this thread regarding the pull up resistor value, I can confirm that 47K and 33K both worked fine and in fact I still had good comms with the 5v completely disconnected from the adaptor.

I used both the manufacture and oem software versions without any problems, and I was able to turn the annoying reverse buzzer off completely. Happy days.

Big thanks to woodygb for providing the software and manuals.

Jonathan
jofthepioneer

Postby bernhard » 16 Mar 2021, 22:27

Hello,
I'm just new to this board and hope, we can find some help. We're owning a Mobilis M83, mostly simular to the Pride Colt Twin. The M83 is running only in slow motion (3km/h) mode. Although we replaced the batteries with two new 75Ah AGM, the motor brusher and tested the motor brake. The M83 is running in slow motion. There is no error code via display or horn available. My next step is to read out the SDrive 70 to get some more information. I find the WIZARD softare from dynamic, but I'm not sure if this is the right software. So far as I've read the forum I have to assemble a uUSB to serial connecting to the four pin plug of the M83. This should not be an great effort cause I have a couple of USB to RS232 converter. I have only to check the pin layout.
Where can I find the correct software and version for our M83?
Thanks for your support, Bernhard
bernhard

Postby woodygb » 16 Mar 2021, 22:51

Hi Bernhard,

The Wizard software is NOT what you want.

The S-Drive is made by Penny & Giles.

Software is available.

Pic below of the USB wiring arrangement.
more plugs pgdt 2.jpg

https://en.q-tronic.nl/downloads/ page 2 for the S-Drive manual.
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby bernhard » 18 Mar 2021, 15:25

Thank you for your assistence
bernhard

Postby Rich_n_stace » 28 Mar 2021, 02:50

Can someone send me the software pls? I need to tweak an Ottobock b400. Will be installing a few extra bits and not sure if they’ll need adding in via software as well. Thx
Rich_n_stace

Postby Burgerman » 28 Mar 2021, 04:11

This threads for scooters, but anyway, does it have an R-Net controller on that chair? Or VR2?
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby geefery » 01 Apr 2021, 05:27

Hi All,

I have a S-Drive controller on a scooter that I wanted to disable the reverse beeper so I have a few questions.

1. Do you need the diode? Or is it possible to omit that?
2. I'm assuming the atx 4 pin goes to the controller and into the FT232RL which then goes in to a laptop via usb cable?
3. Anyway I can get the software? I've been searching up and down the web. The PG website doesn't allow downloads anymore of their programming software from either levels (dealer, oem etc...) without an account.
4. I know the 'reverse alarm' as they call it is on pin 3 so would it possible to just take the pin out and disable the reverse beeper completely without affecting say... the horn?

Thanks.
geefery

Postby woodygb » 01 Apr 2021, 11:51

You need the diode.

Yes to the other 3 questions.
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby Utchard » 12 Apr 2021, 00:18

Hi, newbie to the group but I’m sure this has been asked a lot, where can I get the programming software for S - drive controllers as I’ve searched and can’t seem to find it?
TIA
Utchard

Postby Burgerman » 12 Apr 2021, 00:43

I dont understand scooters, woody will be along shortly!
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby woodygb » 12 Apr 2021, 11:02

Burgerman wrote:I dont understand scooters, woody will be along shortly!

The PGDT P.C. Mobility Software includes the S-Drive.
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby Burgerman » 12 Apr 2021, 11:27

Does it?

OK I can help.

See PM.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby woodygb » 12 Apr 2021, 12:30

The PGDT Mobility software will program various wheelchair controllers e.g. Pilot+,VR2 ,Vsi plus the Egis and S-Drive used on mobility scooters....it will also recognise the SOLO controller but will NOT program it.

The SOLO controller requires the Industrial Software.
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby ex-Gooserider » 13 Apr 2021, 01:24

I have seem some mention that the Pilot+ software will also work on the earlier Pilot (not +) all in one controllers - I haven't ever tried it so can't personally verify. Even if it does work, I don't know how much good it would do in terms of available settings, or how much it would help a controller that only does about 50A - doesn't matter how much fertilizer you dump on a weed, it's still weedy....

ex-Gooserider
T-5, ASIA-B
Jazzy 1100
Jazzy Select 6
Quickie Q-7
Invacare Mariner
Want to make / get a better chair, ideally one that stands.
ex-Gooserider

Postby woodygb » 13 Apr 2021, 08:48

ex-Gooserider wrote:I have seem some mention that the Pilot+ software will also work on the earlier Pilot (not +) all in one controllers - I haven't ever tried it so can't personally verify. Even if it does work, I don't know how much good it would do in terms of available settings, or how much it would help a controller that only does about 50A - doesn't matter how much fertilizer you dump on a weed, it's still weedy....

ex-Gooserider

I have ... and like the SOLO the software simply recognises that a Pilot is connected .
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby Old Techie » 05 May 2021, 21:24

I want to thank Burgerman and Woody for all the fine information that they and other contributors are putting up on this forum. I am well on my way to fixing my buddy Tim's Afikim Breeze S4.
I made a cable using a Baofeng USB adapter and after some screwing around, it worked. You definitely need the diode and resistor. I connected the cable to the S-Drive 140 on a bench setup. Although the original controller was badly damaged, I was able to download the data file, save it to my computer and then upload it into the new controller, which came programmed for a Pride Hurricane. Tomorrow I will put everything back into the Breeze S4 and see how it works with the front board and everything hooked in. I still have to determine the original failure, which left him stranded, caused him to tow the scooter behind a car, resulting in the controller to burn out.
Regarding the original problem, I checked the throttle potentiometer when I first started diagnosing the failure and noticed that the wiper goes to open circuit at full throttle position. I don't think that is right. Any comments?
Gentlemen, would you like me to post pictures of what I have been doing? I am a member of the Mercedes Benz forum and they liked me to describe the repairs I did to my 86 MB 560SL.
Cheers.
Old Techie

Postby woodygb » 05 May 2021, 22:49

Any information that you post maybe useful to someone.

When towing a mobility scooter the motor becomes a generator.
So...Unless you place the scooter into Freewheel AND disconnect the motor from the controller .... DON'T TOW IT!!.

The throttle going open circuit would have caused the scooter to enter a failure mode ... BUT that should have been rectified by simply turning the scooter ON/OFF.

See if you can download the fault log from the old controller.
Niels Bohr
woodygb

PreviousNext

Return to Everything Powerchair