PINNED - Powerchairs Worthy of Consideration List!

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Re: The 'Powerchairs Worthy of Consideration' List!

Postby rover220 » 24 Feb 2016, 15:53

What age salsa is it? It's likely the switch for the high/low has broken off or been caught by your bag.

Send a pic of the rear of the chair and we can tell you more.
rover220

Postby jonv » 24 Feb 2016, 16:08

rover220 wrote:What age salsa is it? It's likely the switch for the high/low has broken off or been caught by your bag.

Send a pic of the rear of the chair and we can tell you more.

ironically it seems ok now , though I dont think I will bother hanging anything off the rear - its an ex demo - no idea on age.

j
jonv

Postby jonv » 25 Feb 2016, 07:40

Burgerman wrote:My chairs are easay to drive at a super slow slugs pace.

I do not need a profile set up for "slow" indoor. Once CORRECTLY programmed, they go and steer exactly as fast as you "think" them to go.
No longer is there any need for setting a slow profile, any more than setting your computer mouse to slow to click an icon...

Even this:
http://www.wheelchairdriver.com/BM3-con ... /15mph.mp4

How the heck could you afford such a big / nice place being disabled ?

You must of been in work for a good few yrs in a good job.

Jon
jonv

Postby Burgerman » 25 Feb 2016, 12:20

All paid for 20 years ago after I sold my house and paid off my mums mortgage so it could be left to me. Because my own place wasn't suitable to modify for disability. This one is perfect and in the right spot. Self employed several businesses before accident stopped play...

+ Has taken 20 years to make it REALLY disabled friendly, low maintenance, wide doors that swing both ways, level access front/rear doors, cameras, auto lighting, walls and rooms knocked down to give space, no obvious ramps, rails, and kitchen that all pulls out on rails so I can reach. etc etc...

And I live in the cheapest part of the country! Ex fishing town, no fish! So property relatively cheap. http://www.zoopla.co.uk/property/20-wes ... sp/7284481

And surrounded by trees, parks, 5 mins into town in a chair, plenty space for parking, pubs across the road etc.
Vid... by quadcopter! http://www.wheelchairdriver.com/gopro/shapes.mp4 Download to desktop first! Ignore the text...
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby ex-Gooserider » 26 Feb 2016, 01:14

I have been talking with different insurances and such since my van accident, and it sounds like they MIGHT be willing to get me a new power chair to replace the Jazzy that I was in during the accident...

Obviously, much as I'd like to, I can't hit them up for a BMx or a Will-Chair, so I'm wondering what I can hold out for in the way of a factory stock chair....

I'm figuring my 'non-negotiables' should be RWD and Group 24 bricks, and a programmable control system (I think the only modern day, still in production system that we can talk to with our P&G software and Woody's cable is the VR-2, Correct?

Ideally anything faster than 4mph, with 6mph being optimal for brick power, and 4-pole motors....

Best I can tell, for US models, that leaves me with either the Sunrise / Quickie 6x6 series, or one of the many Invacare 'Storm' variants...

Suggestions for other possible models, or things that I should really insist on?

ex-Gooserider
T-5, ASIA-B
Jazzy 1100
Jazzy Select 6
Quickie Q-7
Invacare Mariner
Want to make / get a better chair, ideally one that stands.
ex-Gooserider

Postby Burgerman » 26 Feb 2016, 01:56

Dunno. All different in the US.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby BounderGimp » 26 Feb 2016, 17:43

BounderGimp

Postby MenCallMeGimpy » 27 Feb 2016, 00:22

ex-Gooserider wrote:Suggestions for other possible models, or things that I should really insist on?

ex-Gooserider

I tried out the Quickie 636 at the Abilities Expo and I liked it a lot. It was pretty responsive in stock form and felt very solid and well-built. The 6x6 line doesn't come with a lift, if that's important to you, but otherwise has all the tilt/recline/etc options available.

The 636 is, I believe, a Group 3 chair, so your insurance should cover it (with some persuasion/screaming/threats of dire vengeance), but I'd be tempted to move up to the SE model for the added speed, if you can fund the upgrade yourself.

Interestingly, Southwest Medical sells the S636 starting at just over $4k (https://www.southwestmedical.com/Wheelc ... air/27972p), which is not a bad price for a very decent chair. No doubt your insurance company can get these for a fraction of that price, so there's really no excuse for them to deny the claim.

The Invacare Storm Ranger X also looks nice. I tried one of those at the Expo, too, and although not as "tank-like" as the S636, it still felt good to drive.
MenCallMeGimpy

Postby ex-Gooserider » 27 Feb 2016, 03:45

Thanks for the chart, looks like the Quickie is a lot more compact... I don't 'need' a lot of fancy seating stuff, at least not from a medical standpoint... OTOH I do find that I often like to do a short 'power-nap' when I'm out of the house, and it would be highly desirable to be able to do the 'recliner' number while catching a snooze...

Doesn't really need to be power - my wrecked Jazzy had essentially a cheap car seat (made by the same company that makes seats for some US automakers) with a manual recline on the side - I ripped the foam 'bun' off the base and put a piece of plywood on it for my rehab cushion, and had to tear the back apart once to weld the armrests back on after they broke off, so simple, but it worked... Only thing that sucked was not having height adjustable footrests to get my feet up - I just had to a bit of fun back and forth to get my feet up on a chair or equivalent and be close enough they didn't fall back off when I reclined...

ex-Gooserider
T-5, ASIA-B
Jazzy 1100
Jazzy Select 6
Quickie Q-7
Invacare Mariner
ex-Gooserider

Postby rollin64 » 01 Mar 2016, 01:46

rustyjames wrote:
MenCallMeGimpy wrote:
rustyjames wrote:For US users my vote goes to the Quickie 646SE with Qtronix (Pilot +) controller. Works well indoors and off pavement, and they are reliable.

Do you guys know if Medicare/Medicaid will even pay for a RWD chair nowadays? In the US?
rollin64

Postby ex-Gooserider » 01 Mar 2016, 03:14

It may depend on just how good your Dr / rehab team is, and how hard you fight for it... Not to mention the details of your disability...

ex-Gooserider
T-5, ASIA-B
Jazzy 1100
Jazzy Select 6
Quickie Q-7
Invacare Mariner
ex-Gooserider

Postby LROBBINS » 01 Mar 2016, 09:55

Yes, and you don't need to justify the choice of FWD, MWD or RWD - although you may be asked to demo that it can be maneuvered in your home. It's the dealers who most often try to impose their choices on the user, not the insurance (gov't or private) aside from the ridiculous Medicare rule of "in house only". For other "options", if you have a medical justification and the letter of medical necessity is detailed enough, everything can be covered. MD's, however, don't know squat about chairs, and those who should, OTs and PTs, seem to often be in cahoots with the dealers, or just ill-informed or lazy. When we lived in the U.S., I always wrote the letters of medical necessity for Rachi's stuff, and then passed them on to the MD, PT, OT to check and sign. For the one chair we bought after moving to Italy, I did the same (in Italian for the national health service, in English for Blue Cross). Probably was overkill for the Italian system, as they use a fixed-price reimbursement off a now 20 years out of date list, but between the two it was covered 100% (National Health covered the Blue Cross co-pay and extra cushion covers and I don't know what else).
Ciao,
Lenny

P.S. The usual way dealers adapt to the out of date DME list is to just plain lie. If there's a "cooperative" prosthetics office in their town, they'll invoice what they've actually delivered, and enough other stuff that's never supplied, to cover the difference between the 20-year old price and current retail. Italy doesn't do too well on corruption rankings, but without that grease most everything would just come to a halt here.
LROBBINS

Postby rollin64 » 01 Mar 2016, 22:11

I've been a member on carecure.com for many years. Not much input there. They're demoing me a Quickie QM-710 Thurs. Looks like MWD,s are frowned upon. Ive been in a manual 14 yrs. Have had both RWD and MWD in the past. I think this new DME is Quickie all the way. My good one went under, lol.
rollin64

Postby rollin64 » 01 Mar 2016, 22:25

"in house only" is whats worrying me. Been in manual 14 yrs but recently starting having nerve issues in my left elbow. Only had this Tilite 2 1/2 yrs. Gotta feelin im gonna get screwed this go round.
rollin64

Postby LROBBINS » 01 Mar 2016, 23:42

You just can't use need to travel outside as justification, but the (mis-interpreted) medicare rule needn't keep you from getting a chair that can handle something more than a smooth surface. The chair has to be able to cross a small threshold, or turn on thick carpet, or tilt for pressure relief, or lift for transfers and so on. Use your imagination and you can write the letter of medical necessity to get what you need (or something as close as the marketplace offers); just don't mention outdoor use. VA, vocational rehab, and private insurance are often less restrictive, but often just as paper-heavy bureaucratic.
Ciao, Lenny

P.S. Italy is more like the UK on this; the coverage list includes indoor chairs, indoor/outdoor chairs and outdoor chairs with justification based on your daily activities. The allowed costs, however, are absurdly low, and where the out of date list really hurts is for things, such as a gaze tracker, that just didn't exist when that list was written.
LROBBINS

Postby rollin64 » 11 Mar 2016, 23:38

Well i tried out the QM-710 Thurs. Its pretty heavy duty. Got big knobby drive tires and pretty good sized anti-tippers. I tried it out in the field and getting up close to my apt. which is pretty uneven. It went thru it no problem. It had everything though. The leg actuators, tilt recline and 12" lift.

He's checking to see if i just get tilt in space and the lift would that do away with the big motor box on the back. I don't like that because i want be able to get a lower back than 20" i believe he said. Anyway that motor box will hinder me from reaching back behind me. I gotta admit, that lift is awesome. Can get up eye to eye with somebody plus reach stuff off top shelves.

It's kinda big but does get around in my apt. plus i think it'll do good outdoors. Also i dunno if Medicare/caid is going to consider that lift a luxury item and not pay.
rollin64

Postby Burgerman » 11 Mar 2016, 23:40

They may, if they think you are building chairs.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby funkykeyboard » 22 Mar 2016, 16:00

I don't know whether you would consider this wheelchair on your shortlist, but it is exceptional.

Lifestand LSC 3(stand-up wheelchair)

Cost me about 10,500, about 8 years ago. I can go into further detail, but because of its price and stand up, thought it might not make your list.
funkykeyboard

Postby Burgerman » 22 Mar 2016, 16:25

I know little about powerchairs that stand you up. But the main thing that would bother me would be this:
4 Batteries Set (12 V x 18 Ah). Equivelent to just a 24v 36Ah battery.

Thats just 20 Ah actually usable approx. That wouldnt allow me to do 1/3rd of a typical day. Expresso for eg, half my weight, used 16Ah yesterday in another thread and he said he didnt go very far, only went to a shop or something. I use that in a day indoors even if I dont leave the house.

But with standing chairs that may just be the compromise you have to make. As long as thats known in advance by any purchaser it may be a good option. Trouble is most dont understand this till its too late.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby funkykeyboard » 02 Apr 2016, 10:55

that is why I put lithium batteries in this stand-up wheelchair. Once you do that, the wheelchair is head and shoulders (literally when you stand up :-D ), above other manufactured wheelchairs.
funkykeyboard

Postby sin85 » 20 Jul 2016, 15:38

The Meyra Optimus 2 isn't a powerchair though. Its a small "car" or closer to a scooter that steers in reverse like a fork lift truck. It works outdoors well at low speeds but isn't suitable for use indoors. So while interesting and good outdoors its not really a contender for a powerchair list.

As a user of the above chair, scooter or small car i have to disagree with the above as i use it every day. pub, club, home etc not a big problem. my chair goes 17kmh and it is lithium powered. it is the best commercial chair for me and i emphasize for me. it leaves permobil (which i also have) for dust.

another suggestion for rear drive is meyra imc2 rx edition
https://www.meyra.de/en/wheelchairs/e-p ... oduct-469/
sin85

Postby Burgerman » 20 Jul 2016, 16:15

Looks OK. grp 24 option, 4 pole option, 10 inch casters, unknown controller, and those horrid swing away footrests though. Maybe a central plate option?
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby sin85 » 21 Jul 2016, 13:59

controller is r net
sin85

Postby Burgerman » 21 Jul 2016, 17:38

R-net 120? If so even better!
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Irving » 27 Jul 2016, 18:44

Burgerman wrote:R-net 120? If so even better!

Yep

iChair mc2 RS
»»iChair mc2 with special configuration
»»120A R-net control
»»15” drive wheels
»»Option: 13.5 km/h in combination with 350 W motors
»»various options like side guard lighting and USB connection
C5/6 A (complete)
Puma 40, 75Ah LiFePO4 (pic is on tour @ Whistler, BC)
Puma 40 backup, 73Ah MK (for now)
Spectra Plus (weedy 40Ah MK)
Irving

Postby expresso » 03 Dec 2016, 23:58

http://www.wheelchairs.com/hframe_plus_page.html

http://www.wheelchairs.com/pdf/brochure ... medium.pdf

I know we spoke about this chair before - but what do you think about this chair - model H frame - with the lift tilt and 12mph speed - i heard the vendor is able to get this chair covered it would have group 27 batteries - but i also know i think i heard they have a lithium option -

If someone had the option to get this chair - fully covered - paid by insurance - what do you think ?

this may very well be a option now - any though on it - if you can get it fully covered - ?

warranty wise its better than the rest of the manufacturers - motors 5 years -

Who would take this chair if it were fully covered and why would you take it - or why wouldnt you take it ?

lets say - compared to my Quickie 646se - which one would you choose ?

i am still not sure why the vendor keeps discouraging anyone who wants a sunrise chair to not get it - keep saying they are not good - break down etc.

but meanwhile i had them for 15 years with no issues - very strange either i am very lucky or it just hasnt happened yet -
Quickie 636 - 230ah LifePo4
expresso

Postby Gnomatic » 04 Dec 2016, 00:32

I'm not sure 21st Century chairs are even coded to be billed to Medicare. They do have a 100Ah LiFe battery option with a BMS but by the time you include the charger it needs the price is north of $4K for the battery alone.

To achieve 12mph they just change the sprocket size for the chain drive(s), so it goes fast at the expense of torque.
Gnomatic

Postby Burgerman » 04 Dec 2016, 02:29

I'm not sure 21st Century chairs are even coded to be billed to Medicare.

This stuff is coded alright :lol:
No clue what any of that means but it sure is complicated sounding magic.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Gnomatic » 04 Dec 2016, 03:09

https://youtu.be/rR5HTbGYDUg?t=47s

It means their consumers are private pay, private insurance, or VA etc. They don't bother with selling to folks who's chairs are paid for by Medicare, which is what most of us disabled blokes in the US have, because Medicare's reimbursement rate for chairs is so low.
Gnomatic

Postby expresso » 04 Dec 2016, 04:01

yes thats true - this chair was offered as an option to a friend - straight medicaid wont touch it - but the manage care company we are with for our services has flexibly when it comes to our chairs - they can go beyond what medicaid normally would -

its a good thing - question is - not sure if its a nice looking chair - maybe lithium if it does cost $4000 - may not be a option - but never know - can ask

if it were an option and you were able to get this chair paid - Would you ?
Quickie 636 - 230ah LifePo4
expresso

PreviousNext

Return to Everything Powerchair