Jive/Salsa R2 mixture

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Re: Jive/Salsa R2 mixture

Postby optical10 » 09 Jan 2020, 19:28

About to swap the lift and tilt assembly (and vice versa) from a Salsa M2 with a VR2 PM70 motor controller module plus PM70/90 CNTRL MOUNT KIT and J/STICK VR2 2 ACT CTRL to a Salsa R2 with just tilt and VR2 90A motor controller module and comprehensive J/STICK VR2 REMOTE L&I & ACT due to the inclusion of VR2 LIGHTING MODULE.

My question is would I need to reprogram the motor controller modules if I swap them but left the joysticks on their original chairs a am I not swapping motor controllers because they need reprogramming anyway for the 70 and 90 power models difference anyway?

If I do need to reprogram what do I need to order from the sunrise dealer and can you help me with the necessary software and instructions please?

I can PM the bill of materials for both chairs if it makes it easier than my explanation above?
Sunrise Medical Quickie salsa R2
Revolectrix PL8
Shirley modified ZXD2400 PSU
optical10

Postby Burgerman » 09 Jan 2020, 19:54

The joysticks dont contain the programming. So are always interchangable. So they can stay on original chairs.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby optical10 » 10 Jan 2020, 02:16

Burgerman wrote:The joysticks dont contain the programming. So are always interchangable. So they can stay on original chairs.

Ok thanks

Will these armrest and mount fit R2 like yours , as they're not in my parts list pdf?
Revolectrix PL8
optical10

Postby Burgerman » 10 Jan 2020, 04:28

Yes but you need the cover that hides the spigot that your lift up arm rests sit on now. I ordered those because the lift up arms that most have are not stront enough to lift my 20 stone on when I need to lift my ass of the deck for pressure, relocation etc. See how you manage with stock ones first.

O also have Jay P shaped arm tops, that are wider and softer, and have relocated the swing away to the INBOARD side, and modified it with precision drilled holes, and longer bars so it actually swings past the wider arm, from the inside, and doesent wobble about because the stock swing aways are a wobbly joke. The pod sits higher up too, see pics.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby optical10 » 07 Feb 2020, 01:35

Dont suppose there's any tubless rims that fit 14" 3.00-8 tubless tires on 3 mounting holes of the 120A 4-poles?
I need to keep max width as stock (62cm / 24.49") due to my flats front door opening clearance being only 27" plus having only 34" corridor right angle radius turning area.
Revolectrix PL8
optical10

Postby Burgerman » 07 Feb 2020, 01:59

Never saw a tubeless 3 x 8 tyre. Rim? Possibly but it will be SLIGHTLY wider and harder to fit. And whatever you fit will not be plug and play. Make the door wider! :fencing :hammer :hammer :hammer
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 07 Feb 2020, 02:11

The difference.

From a 6 stone weakling to a mafia "heavy" in one go!

Quickie-Salsa-2.jpg

From pram to pimped...

810_2358small.JPG
Attachments
810_1662-1024.jpg
Wheel Rim
810_2156.JPG
120/70 - 8 TYRES, 3.5 WIDE RIM.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 07 Feb 2020, 02:25

Even with the rims and tyres, its still over an inch narrower than the X5/V6 powerchairs. You were hoping to copy mine were you not? Did you look at those cranked door hinges? They gain you 2 inches when the door is open. And this chair is 27 and 1/4 wide...
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 07 Feb 2020, 05:41

Make all your doors 2 inches wider the easy way. I have these in places. There are versions available that replace your double glazed UPVC doors too.
https://www.google.com/search?q=offset+ ... 63&bih=618

Found a vid. This will make your front door 2 inches wider. Work on inside doors too. Actually anyone that is in a wheelchair would benefit from adding these to all doors. They cure a multitude of door width issues. Even were doors are wide enough, these make life much easier with another 2 inches everywhere.

I had these on some of my doors until widened. Available from most hardware stores.

youtu.be/nIXhcJJXlto
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Clif » 09 Nov 2020, 01:11

Where did you get those rims and tires and did you need adapters to bolt them up?
Clif

Postby Burgerman » 09 Nov 2020, 01:49

Rims are on eBay at too high price, on many chinese auction sites, and shirley sent me mine very cheaply for 2 pairs.

They are 3.5j wide, and 8 inch diameter. Tyres are the more expensive bit. At around 70 to 100 a set! Yes I made an adapter. Its a lump of alloy with a bunch of holes and threads.

I will remember where the pics are soon... :clap I made the adapters on my pillar drill in my room. They were precut for size and ordered that way from a laser cutting service. I just drilled the holes.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 09 Nov 2020, 01:55

A rim on my bench.
Scroll on these.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7455

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7455&start=120
This page is showing the bits I got laser cut before I drilled, and after I did. If you read its self explanitory. Actually starting at page 1 of this thread, and reading, the first 6 or 7 pages will tell you all..
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Marcelo » 01 Apr 2022, 21:34

Burgerman wrote:SEATING

Raised and tilt.

810_2349.JPG

810_2348.JPG

Lift only

810_2350.JPG

Tilt only

810_2343.JPG

Tilt and footplate

810_2344.JPG

Recline, tilt, footrests.

810_2345.JPG

Recline, tilt, lift, footrest.

810_2346.JPG

Recline, tilt, lift, footrest. Again from front.
Jive is the brand of the chair? The Puma model?
810_2347.JPG
Marcelo

Postby Burgerman » 01 Apr 2022, 22:32

Jive is a different sunrise medical chair. Similar to the salsa.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Scooterman » 19 May 2022, 07:04

Burgerman wrote:The difference.

From a 6 stone weakling to a mafia "heavy" in one go!

Quickie-Salsa-2.jpg

From pram to pimped...

810_2358small.JPG

Do balloon tyres absorb vibration better than skinny's? I assume they do, a no brainer I would guess. Do they also absorb vibrations/jolts better than the short coil over springs found on most powerchairs and mob scooters?

Burgerman wrote:Make all your doors 2 inches wider the easy way. I have these in places. There are versions available that replace your double glazed UPVC doors too.
https://www.google.com/search?q=offset+ ... 63&bih=618

Found a vid. This will make your front door 2 inches wider. Work on inside doors too. Actually anyone that is in a wheelchair would benefit from adding these to all doors. They cure a multitude of door width issues. Even were doors are wide enough, these make life much easier with another 2 inches everywhere.

I had these on some of my doors until widened. Available from most hardware stores.

youtu.be/nIXhcJJXlto

Did these work okay when you had them fitted BM? They're a natty idea but seem a bit pricey for what they are. But then most disability products are a rip off. But much cheaper and less messy than having doorways widened, although that is obviously the best option. In fact even with widened doorways there's no reason why these hinges couldn't be used to increase accessible door width even more.
Scooterman

Postby Burgerman » 19 May 2022, 09:06

Do balloon tyres absorb vibration better than skinny's? I assume they do, a no brainer I would guess. Do they also absorb vibrations/jolts better than the short coil over springs found on most powerchairs and mob scooters?

You really need both. The bigger tyres on the BM3 BM2 take out lots of the noise or higher frequency jiggles that set off my spasm. They do little for low frequency high amplitude bumps. That hurt you spine...

The hinges work great.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Scooterman » 19 May 2022, 10:16

Thanks for both answers BM :thumbup:
Scooterman

Postby Scooterman » 20 Jun 2022, 12:18

This is the Jive R2 Rover got me. I'm really pleased with it, it's in excellent condition. I originally asked Rover if he could find a 6mph r-net salsa or jive r2 rolling chassis, but that was a bit of a forlorn hope. I wanted to make a mkII version of my salsa. Basically removing everything from chassis upwards and replacing with a custom fixed lightweight seat, backrest, armrests, and footrest. But it seems a shame to touch the Jive as it's a nice chair. Perhaps I'll just make my own centre hangar arm and footplate. The a fixing point for it on the front centre underside of the seat. And keep the jive as an indoor and garden power chair, and the salsa for out and about. Cos of the lower lightweight seat the salsa feels much more stable. I don't feel as safe riding round in the Jive.

Album: https://postimg.cc/gallery/LZVYWxF

Scooterman

Postby Burgerman » 20 Jun 2022, 13:03

The difference really is that while both have DIFFERENT and very untidy seating with brackets and other junk sticking out all over making them look terrible (easily fixed) is that the salsa wasnt avaialable with 8mph motors. And all the fancy options wre extra options. But the Jive was available with 8mph has different 3 spoke wheels... The jives 8mph motors are not too bad as you are pretty light. So if it was me I would use those 8mph motors for the street and the 6mph ones for home. Or swap the seating from one to the other.

Where the 8mph ones are bad news is with all the heavy seating options, whick means a massive 190KG and swing away footrests hanging the user over the front wheels causing a need for huge torque to steer, which they dont have...
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Scooterman » 20 Jun 2022, 13:47

Burgerman wrote:The difference really is that while both have DIFFERENT and very untidy seating with brackets and other junk sticking out all over making them look terrible (easily fixed) is that the salsa wasnt avaialable with 8mph motors. And all the fancy options wre extra options. But the Jive was available with 8mph has different 3 spoke wheels... The jives 8mph motors are not too bad as you are pretty light. So if it was me I would use those 8mph motors for the street and the 6mph ones for home. Or swap the seating from one to the other.

Where the 8mph ones are bad news is with all the heavy seating options, whick means a massive 190KG and swing away footrests hanging the user over the front wheels causing a need for huge torque to steer, which they dont have...

The reason I went for another salsa/jive is that I'm familiar with it, and I didn't want to start messing around with my salsa as it works well. I can then do the Jive at my leisure. I think I'll strip off and store everything above the chassis and make another custom seat, etc. The original idea was also to fit wider tyres like your's to help give a smoother ride.
The jive has 9 inch forks which is good as means the seat (and footplate) can be moved further back, but bad in that they're small diameter wheels.
The lights on the Jive are also different. My salsa r2 which I think is an older salsa model than yours has a single neon in a lens, but the Jive has multiple neons in a lens. I guess they're better and brighter? One of the front lights on the salsa blew so took them off and carry a torch instead, it does the job.
Attachments
IMG_8062.jpeg
Scooterman

Postby Scooterman » 20 Jun 2022, 13:55

Burgerman wrote:
They 3.00 x 4 tyres And 280/250 x 4 all go in my forks just fine as you can see. Order the correct forks or buy on eBay used.

Heres the thing though.

The EIGHT inch Diameter ones that are like slicks, for turf use, that I used on my Q700R chair give a bigger footplate/tyre clerance and let you move the footplate back further if you have a central mount one. (which is the only one that makes sense on rear drive). And that was run flat for months by expresso as he wasnt aware of it. It eventually wore funny... So not exactly a danger if you were to get a puncture. And you wont they are much tougher! And should fit your forks too.

THESE https://www.wheelchairdriver.com/board/ ... &mode=view

Are 8 x 3.00 x 4 slick tyres.

Scooterman wrote:Ooh I think they would fit my forks :dance

The mini moto treaded ones I tried last time chocked in the throat of the fork. But there looks to be a fair bit of clearance in your 10 inch forks so might work.

I will google for them cheers
Scooterman

Postby Burgerman » 20 Jun 2022, 14:54

Also, neons only work on AC and high voltage... So some confusion! czy
They are all LEDs.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Scooterman » 20 Jun 2022, 17:35

Burgerman wrote:Also, neons only work on AC and high voltage... So some confusion! czy
They are all LEDs.

Oh yes silly me!

a senior moment :oops:
Scooterman

Postby Scooterman » 24 Jun 2022, 13:34

Current progress...

FYI: Jive Tilt only unit is FAR lighter than Salsa Tilt/Lift, it's like night and day.

Salsa Tilt/Lift weighed an absolute ton. I would say if someone can cope without lift, I would recommend Tilt only based purely on the huge difference in weight. But then perhaps that was just the tilt unit on my Salsa. I think my Salsa R2 was an older spec so newer ones might have a lighter unit.

But then I'm a powerchair novice and don't have the degree of disability as others in this forum, so I shouldn't recommend anything to anyone! banghead
Scooterman

Postby Burgerman » 24 Jun 2022, 19:33

No.

Tilt is always light. LIFT and tilt is where much of the mass is.
But I find having a chair around with lift is essential as you need to reach stuff, wash vehicles, see whats in the top cupboards, etc. But they are too heavy.

And like powered footrest, tilt, recline the lift is painfully slow so you tend not to bother much of the time in places where it would otherwise be useful, like buying beer.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Scooterman » 22 Aug 2022, 19:43

Lift is handy in the supermarket when there's no one around to ask to pass down stuff on top shelves.

My local metal fabs made these for free which was jolly good of them. Really good blokes.

They're for the custom seat I'm making for the used jive r2 I got from rover.

:admirer
IMG_8363.jpeg
Scooterman

Postby Burgerman » 22 Aug 2022, 21:52

I seldom use lift, even though theres countless places it would be useful. Because its so damned slow. I dont expect to live long enough. Why do the manufacturers of these things sem to think that super super slow is what we want or need?

E.G. Today in a shop in town, I wanted some packs of crisps off the top shelf. I could have used the lift. But lifes too short. So I grabbbed a sweeping brush I spotted erlier and knocled about 5 packs down. I grabbed one as it fell. Much quicker. I dont have any patience at all. I use the lift only if I cant find an alternative...
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby ex-Gooserider » 23 Aug 2022, 00:16

The only problem I've found with those offset hinges is that you must have room for the door to swing into... In our house the door openings are right next to walls, so that w/ regular hinges the doorknob hits the wall as the door gets to being open 90* or so. The offset hinges would put the door flat against the wall with no room for the doorknob, or to have anything behind it like a towel bar...

Just something to be aware of.

ex-Gooserider
T-5, ASIA-B
Jazzy 1100
Jazzy Select 6
Quickie Q-7
Invacare Mariner
Want to make / get a better chair, ideally one that stands.
ex-Gooserider

Postby Toro » 01 Jan 2023, 12:14

BM these armrests on your Salsa, are the from Sunrise Medical or someplace else?

I'm looking for a wide and decent length armrest that's flat instead of rounded.
Toro

Postby Burgerman » 01 Jan 2023, 12:30

They were on the order form. P shaped arm tops, here:
STR040118  Jay Comfort P-Shaped Padded Armpad 45 cm (18") (Only available with Single Post Armrest) £158

They are very very comfortable, a little wider than stock tough by 1.5 to 2 inches. I like them! Worth the extra.

Theres also a shorter verion, at 16 inches. Not P shaped..
STR040114  Jay Comfort Padded Armpad 41cm (16") £116
Burgerman
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Everything Powerchair