POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Re: Electronic experts - BLUETOOTH

Postby expresso » 19 Mar 2021, 03:08

nice :thumbup:
Quickie 636 - 230ah LifePo4
expresso

Postby snaker » 19 Apr 2021, 03:48

I have deployed another version of PL8Remote for windows. This is a classic software (like the original PL8 software). It requires .net framework 4.7.2 (or higher) which is usually pre-installed on win 8/10. On win7 you can download and install the newest .net framework 4.8 on Microsoft site.

PL8Remote for windows can work with both Bluetooth and usb cable. If you do not have Bluetooth, you still can use PL8Remote with your usb cable.

Here is the Setup of PL8Remote.
Attachments
PL8Remote-1.png
PL8Remote-2.png
snaker

Postby expresso » 19 Apr 2021, 03:58

nice what is that installation ?

its not an app ?
expresso

Postby snaker » 19 Apr 2021, 04:04

Download and run the Setup that I posted above. It is the same as the original PL8 software.
snaker

Postby expresso » 19 Apr 2021, 04:07

ok

if i do - does it only work with your screen or both

PL8 original or yours ?
expresso

Postby snaker » 19 Apr 2021, 04:12

You can use all PL8 software and PL8Remote software and even PL8Remote storeapp on the same machine. Just do not run all of them at the same time. You only can run one of them at time.
snaker

Postby expresso » 19 Apr 2021, 04:20

:thumbup:
expresso

Postby Burgerman » 19 Apr 2021, 10:16

Installs and runs fine. It cant edit profiles ?

Thanks!

Suggestion.
Amps and cell Volts on same graph.
Amps and pack Volts on same graph.
Capacity returned not really used much, better as a figure.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby snaker » 19 Apr 2021, 10:48

A preset has to many parameters that are not documented. So I do not dare to edit it.

I will add these graphs:
- Amps and cell Volts on same graph
- Amps and pack Volts on same graph

"Capacity returned not really used much, better as a figure" => Should I remove the capacity graph to save room for other graphs?
snaker

Postby Burgerman » 19 Apr 2021, 10:52

Well I would. Make them accessible, but not default. You could make the text above the graphs smaller too its pretty huge on my laptop!

Also colours. Everything on my machines are all black! Green? :fencing Can we have a choice?

And... the graphs should save as gifs. Jpeg compression and 16 million colours not needed on graphics.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby snaker » 19 Apr 2021, 11:04

Did you expand a graph (click on its titlebar)? Is the title text still too large?
download/file.php?id=15443&mode=view

Jpeg is more popular. Gif is actually outdated.

The green is actually the primary color (I want to protect the Earth :lol:). I will looking if there is any easy way to allow user change that primary color.
snaker

Postby Burgerman » 19 Apr 2021, 11:25

Gifs are for graphics. No distortion from jpeg and no jpg artifacts. Its a pure uncompressed format with 256 colours and small file size specifically designed for graphics. Jpeg is designed for photographs where a little jpg artifact is less important than a lot of colours.

So it SHOULD be gif. Gifs are not for photographs as they look odd. Jpgs are not for graphics because they also look odd...

Horses for courses. And for what its worth, both are very old. And began around the same time. Gifs are for graphics!
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby snaker » 20 Apr 2021, 10:43

I just updated the new version 2.0.0.8:
- Add 2 new graphs
- Remember the chosen image type when saving graphs. E.g if the user chooses GIF when saving a graph, PL8Remote will remember that GIF type. In the next time the user saves another graph, it will automatically choose GIF.
- Reduce the graph's title text.
- Remove axis headers to save graph space.
Attachments
PL8Remote-3.png
snaker

Postby Burgerman » 20 Apr 2021, 10:56

How do I get it.
Also, how do I get the actual executable file. And the setup program so it lives on my laptop or PC?

Looking more useful now!

I want it in my program files folder...

Dont like it living in the C:\Users\Burgerman\AppData\Local\Apps\2.0\random long number folder\ !

Can I download a setup file that contains everything and lets me choose where to install it without neededing any internet access? (So once I have the file I can install it on non internet connected PCs. I have 2 laptops that are not on the internet at all.

And, for all users. HERE is a desktop shortcut. Its zipped. Put this on your desktop. It will save trying to fing that download link when you want a copy or update.
Attachments
PL8remote.zip
(245 Bytes) Downloaded 179 times
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 20 Apr 2021, 11:51

Connects and works. Currently discharging a 24V wheelchair. Not showing volts. Only Amps. Or am I doing something wrong?
Attachments
Image1.gif
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 20 Apr 2021, 11:55

Same when charging.
Attachments
Image1.gif
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 20 Apr 2021, 12:12

This is another reason we need to have a local complete setup file/install in the traditional way. So we can revert when problems are found.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby snaker » 21 Apr 2021, 03:11

BM, the way PL8Remote installs and runs is exactly the same as the original PL8 software, no more no less. If you find a difference between them, please let me know.

Both PL8Remote and PL8 software are ClickOnce apps. ClickOnce is a Microsoft's tech to help developers and software companies to deploy, update and maintain their products easily with low cost. Developers only need to focus to resolve the problems inside the softwares. ClickOnce is very old (born since 2005) and exposed defects. Microsoft developed other teches to replace it like Silverlight, UWP (Windows Store), Blazor. But ClickOnce still has its own values that can not be replaced. So Microsoft still supports ClickOnce in all their recent products.

A ClickOnce app needs a host (on internet or in a local network) to store its application files (exe, dll and others). It has a light setup.exe that does not contain any application file. During installing, the setup will connect to the host to download necessary files. After installing, all ClickOnce apps are store in a "AppData\Local\Apps\2.0" sub folder. When starting, ClickOnce apps automatically connect to the hosts and prompt the user if there is a newer version. If the user chooses to update the new version, all will be done smoothly by one click.

When you run PL8Remote the first time, you will see a 'scary' blue window that says PL8Remote is a 'risky' app. Those who had experience in installing softwares on windows would know that's a 'fake' warning and would simply ignore it. Others might worry and think that I am doing something bad (e.g spying, stealing your personal data). So I will explain it a bit. Microsoft requires that all ClickOnce apps should be signed. To sign a ClickOnce app, I have to buy a cert (about $100/year). But that blue window will still remain even with signed apps. To bypass it, I have to pay another $200/year (total $300/year). It is a crazy cost and serves for nothing. E.g if I was a bad guy (I am not), I still could buy a cert to sign my spywares. A signed app does not mean safe and vice versa. That's only a mater of buying a signing cert or not.

Back to BM's problem "not seeing volts". It's was a bug and I can see what was causing this bug. You were charging/discharging a 24V lead battery. So all cell volts are zero, only pack volt has a value. Is it right? Actually, I calculate the pack volt by summing all cell volts. So pack volt is zero when charging 24V lead battery (which is wrong).

I do not have any lead battery around to test and reproduce the bug. Is it possible if you help me to do the following steps:
- Charge (or discharge) your 24 lead battery in about 3 minutes through the original PL8 software.
- Post a screenshot of PL8 software (the main window, not the graph).
- Stop charging/discharging and upload the "*.CP8" file.

P/S: if you charge/discharge a lithium pack, it will be fine. You will see all graphs.
snaker

Postby Burgerman » 21 Apr 2021, 04:50

I realise its a clickonce app and that the PL8 works the same way and that was what I was trying to avoid. But it is what it is. Once installed you can run it from your desktop though. Or wherever you put it.
Also I dont get the warning...I disabled all that safety nazi nonsense. But if thats the only way it can be done fair enough!
I much prefer stand alone applications.

Back to BM's problem "not seeing volts". It's was a bug and I can see what was causing this bug. You were charging/discharging a 24V lead battery. So all cell volts are zero, only pack volt has a value. Is it right? Actually, I calculate the pack volt by summing all cell volts. So pack volt is zero when charging 24V lead battery (which is wrong).

Summing all the cell volts does not give the correct pack voltage as they are read differently and the cell voltages are averaged. So not sure what it will read doing this? Probably close enough though. Thats why on the PL8 theres a difference between cell volts and the added up total volts.

I do not have any lead battery around to test and reproduce the bug. Is it possible if you help me to do the following steps:
- Charge (or discharge) your 24 lead battery in about 3 minutes through the original PL8 software.
- Post a screenshot of PL8 software (the main window, not the graph).
- Stop charging/discharging and upload the "*.CP8" file.

I will. But may not be able to for a day or two.
You can just tell it your discharged lithium battery is a lead battery and unplug the balance cable for a few mins though. Charge at 28.80V so 2.40V per cell. 12S.

One minor worry. It automatically clicks in the background the warnings for chemistry and for cell count etc. So if you select a wrong preset you could charge a wrong battery or at way too high current or voltage! That set of warnings can be a lifesaver. You wouldnt want to try putting 40A through the XLR charge point for e.g. So you better be super careful using this if you charge a lot of different batteries!
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby snaker » 21 Apr 2021, 09:16

ClickOnce also allows creating a thick setup (that contains all application files) for local deployment. If you want this setup, I will create and send it to you.

I can get the pack volt value in the charger's status info. I noticed it was different from the sum of cell volts. I thought it was a PL8 firmware's fault and ignored that pack volt value.

Ok, I will wait till you can do the test with your lead battery. After I get hold that *.CP8 file, I will check and fix the bug.
snaker

Postby Burgerman » 21 Apr 2021, 10:35

Actual voltage is measure during the gaps (you dont know there are any, its all high frequency) so that it measures true battery voltage across the pack while it isnt passing a charge current. So the cable length/resistance doesent change the pack voltage reading. The cell voltage is also taken at this time seperately. Because of the rounding errors added together from 8 seperate cells it reads differently. Plus the cell volts are taken when while the chargers is "on", too. Cell 1 and 8 corrected for the difference introduced by the 2 main cables resistance. To allow resistance measurements on the cells alone. So the figures are never going to add up. They are measuring different things. The charger knows the cable resistance and the resistance of each cell seperately. Obviously all these figures are about 8 digits long so have to be shortened or rounded.

In adition the figures used by the pl8 software can be 3 decimal places and averaged for final display so only a badly out of balance cell will show up as such. OR four digits, and no data averaging used. Only the 4 decimal place rounding up/down. Makes every pack look a mess! But is true to what was measured read.

Will see if I can do it today. I have a carer coming that understands all my wires and chargers... Am stuck on bed today. We will see!
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby snaker » 23 Apr 2021, 08:55

Update 2.0.0.10:
- Allow the user to change theme colors.
Attachments
pl8remote-4.png
snaker

Postby Burgerman » 23 Apr 2021, 10:04

Hope black is one! :D
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby woodygb » 07 May 2021, 12:57

External Bluetooth built for a forum member.

This will be powered via the USB lead being plugged onto a phone charger or similar.

external B.T.3.jpg
An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field.
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby expresso » 07 May 2021, 16:15

:thumbup: thats much better - less worry good job
expresso

Postby erwinf » 12 Aug 2021, 01:37

Hi,

I'm planning on making a bluetooth dongle for my pl8. My friend has a pl6. will this also work with that?

Thanks
erwinf

Postby snaker » 12 Aug 2021, 01:45

Yes, it will.
snaker

Postby erwinf » 20 Aug 2021, 07:06

I was able to connect via Bluetooth from my desktop. But it keeps on connecting and disconnecting while charging. I'm using a small germanium diode in the circuit as the schottky diode hasn't arrived yet. Could it be the cause?

Btw, the charger stopped after a while with a "Bad Exp. Ch. Num" error.
erwinf

Postby Burgerman » 20 Aug 2021, 07:50

It could. But having a common ground can be the problem. Disconnect the ground powering whatever you have dropping the voltage to 5V.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby snaker » 21 Aug 2021, 03:08

erwinf wrote:Could it be the cause?

That was exactly what happened to me. Replacing the normal diode by a schottky diode resolved the problem.
snaker

PreviousNext

Return to Everything Powerchair