Postby duke1 » 11 Nov 2019, 18:23

chair maiden voyage 005.JPG
chair maiden voyage 004.JPG
chair maiden voyage 006.JPG
duke1

Re: polishing the turd!

Postby Burgerman » 11 Nov 2019, 19:16

Youve ruined it! :fencing

Should have done it in dog shit diarea brown.

I have a hose on my drive. I too had a dog. That will all rinse off if you set the hose to be like a shower. And use a soft brush on the stubborn bits as long as you do it while its still all wet.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby duke1 » 12 Nov 2019, 12:12

well today she took the ex turd to the bigger park and tested,it needs anti tips as it still goes over backwards over the hump into the park lucky i was with her and kept hold of the back which stopped it hurting her! so i have discovered another bunch of old anti tips and skateboard wheels and shall come up with something today before next test also found the so called stainless threaded rod i bought from an ebay supplier is soft mild steel and total lies so sticking with boltworld stuff in future as it seems to be consistant quality,
but other than being a bit tippy it did all the terrain around the local riverwalk even the mossy heavily cambered bit and did not slide or frighten her like the bigger gunter meier chair does in the same place,she worked it hard up the big slopes and through some very sketchy ground no trouble at all im glad i have the little hand pressure washer though as there so much mud!
have a good day all. :dance cheers
duke1

Postby foghornleghorn » 12 Nov 2019, 14:44

duke1 wrote:it needs anti tips

Someone suggested that 2 weeks ago, no idea who :wave:

For soft ground you need to make sure you fit anti-tips that aren't just going to spear into the surface and not save you. Either wheels with a decent sized contact patch, or go wild and fit plates around the wheels like they do on the off road version of the Bounder.
foghornleghorn

Postby foghornleghorn » 12 Nov 2019, 14:58

Can't find any good photos of the bounder off road anti tip plates but there is a user on here with a youtube channel that does have them fitted.
You can just about see them at 6:00 in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jN2l4evGvHU

Username on here is danpayton maybe he would take a couple of pics for you if asked.
foghornleghorn

Postby duke1 » 12 Nov 2019, 21:17

foghornleghorn wrote:Can't find any good photos of the bounder off road anti tip plates but there is a user on here with a youtube channel that does have them fitted.
You can just about see them at 6:00 in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jN2l4evGvHU

Username on here is danpayton maybe he would take a couple of pics for you if asked.

yes and i did know it would need them but due to fake shit threaded rod i bought i bent trying to tip tina back far enough to work out the height for the anti tips so left it till i could replace the damn thing with something that doesnt bend and made of proper stainless not mild and zinc coated i also think i may need to move the seat forward a tad as i did go a long way back and down with it,down is good,back maybe a step to far!
i have searched out my shed to find a decent set of anti tips and need to make them easy to release in order to attach the small trailer so a 2 in 1 type bracket and some sort of bracket will be born,i see some anti tips with shock absorbers do they help with kerb dismounts? tinas gunter chair has small skate wheels that do hit kerbs on way down but dont cushion anything,cheers cheers :joint
duke1

Postby duke1 » 14 Nov 2019, 16:56

hi all well i thought id posted these final pics once but seems not so heres the finished chair complete with anti tips / trailer mount i chose to make the anti tips adjustable in order ensure no bridging when on my car ramp and they will raise up sufficiently to fit the small trailer im making for the chair .
i took it and tested in the same place the hump that trys very hard to tip it backwards idk if this is due to the shorter length front to rear than the gunter chair which doesnt react same in same place but is also far heavier at the front we going to test for a few days as is but have scope for moving seat forward a bit as i did take it back and down a long way,had to remove one of the lead bricks to be able to drill mounting holes for the anti tips and rerouted some of the wiring to make cover fit flush again,also cracked the damn cover and had to glue it,not happy about that! :argument :cussing
pics cheers :joint
chair anti tips 001.JPG

chair anti tips 002.JPG

chair anti tips 003.JPG

peace
duke1

Postby duke1 » 14 Nov 2019, 16:58

finished chair.
chair anti tips 004.JPG
duke1

Postby foghornleghorn » 14 Nov 2019, 17:27

Seatbelt?

I didn't think one was needed until I ended up with loads of broken teeth.
foghornleghorn

Postby duke1 » 14 Nov 2019, 17:52

foghornleghorn wrote:Seatbelt?

tbh a seatbelt would be a liability here as she uses the towpath along the riverbank and if god forbid she ends up sliding down there she needs to be able to get out of the chair quick,both chairs had seatbelts but she insisted they where removed,she also banned me from trying to narrow it anymore she says its perfect and stable now and if shes happy with 28.5 inches wide i can live with that!
now she just has to get used to it being very different to the big gunter meier chair she is more used to but i think a few good trips out and she will soon be as happy driving it as she is the old chair,then i have to rebuild gearboxes on the gm chair do you or anyone know of any reliable gearbox rebuilders?,cheers :joint
duke1

Postby foghornleghorn » 14 Nov 2019, 18:01

duke1 wrote:

tbh a seatbelt would be a liability here as she uses the towpath along the riverbank

Makes sense.

duke1 wrote:she also banned me from trying to narrow it anymore she says its perfect and stable now and if shes happy with 28.5 inches wide i can live with that!

To be honest the only reason for making a chair narrow is if it is your indoor chair and wouldn't fit the house, or needs to go in a van with not much room. An outdoor chair wants a big footprint :thumbup:
foghornleghorn

Postby duke1 » 15 Nov 2019, 15:30

foghornleghorn wrote:
duke1 wrote:

tbh a seatbelt would be a liability here as she uses the towpath along the riverbank

Makes sense.

duke1 wrote:she also banned me from trying to narrow it anymore she says its perfect and stable now and if shes happy with 28.5 inches wide i can live with that!

To be honest the only reason for making a chair narrow is if it is your indoor chair and wouldn't fit the house, or needs to go in a van with not much room. An outdoor chair wants a big footprint :thumbup:

yes wide is good and it still fits the car so can be taken along to woods etc to play and stretch my lazy dogs legs a bit in safety,
well this morning the proper stainless threaded bar came for the seat backrest and is now fitted and secure the previous fitment came from a cheap seller in china and is not as described so i got my money back and bought decent from boltworld at 3x the price but its def stronger you can now tip the chair right back onto the anti tips using the top of the seat and no bending! also decreased the seat dump angle a little and she says its now as comfortable as we think possible and so far the new lead has fired it along just dandy and even steep hills and tight turns are great and very powerful clean and precise steering,thanks to bms help re programming,if it stops raining for 5 fecking minutes we taking it to a local nature reserve for a trialing,big steep hills so a good test for the chair,and her!peace
duke1

Postby farmer » 16 Nov 2019, 01:18

good job looks nice
farmer

Postby Burgerman » 16 Nov 2019, 13:31

Regarding the centralised anti tip...
Tried that.
I ended up laid in the street at 1am in the morning in the rain. While waiting for a sane human to find me. Then trying to explain to the fire fighter with his huge red truck why I was upside down.

Wheelie, or tip back, and it hits the centre anti tip. Now you are sat on 3 wheels. Lean left or right a tiny bit, or try it on a road edge (camber) and it turns and tips sideways. Out you go.

Try it! :fencing
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby flagman1776 » 16 Nov 2019, 16:57

You can tip over a tractor with a front end loader the same way. The equalizing front axle acts as a single point. Without enough weight on the rear, the center of gravity shifts towards the rear axle as you lift a heavy load up, it will lift a rear wheel and turn over diagonally forward.
A previous owner had turned my John Deere 410 over.
Someone tried to sell me a Kabota tractor with a front loader but no rear wheel weights. I had it home on a demo and was lucky to bring the load of muck crashing down as it was in the process of turning over.

I submit any small trike scooter will turn over this way trying to turn on a too steep hill (a fail).
no longer able to use my TravelScoots
flagman1776

Postby duke1 » 16 Nov 2019, 17:32

Burgerman wrote:Regarding the centralised anti tip...
Tried that.
I ended up laid in the street at 1am in the morning in the rain. While waiting for a sane human to find me. Then trying to explain to the fire fighter with his huge red truck why I was upside down.

Wheelie, or tip back, and it hits the centre anti tip. Now you are sat on 3 wheels. Lean left or right a tiny bit, or try it on a road edge (camber) and it turns and tips sideways. Out you go.

Try it! :fencing

hi bm that sounds horrid and painful!i shall see about widening them as i have some more bits and pieces i can adapt but today as i had the ramps out on the car i took the ex turd and tried it up the ramp,its pretty steep most likely the worst it will encounter and it is really like a different chair it climbs the ramps perfect and no bridging! :D but if i tip her backwards it stops at the anti tips so im happy i have height correct so now just need to make them wider,thank you for your guidance. cheers
duke1

Postby duke1 » 17 Nov 2019, 18:33

hi all well today i spent a couple more hours working on the ex turd now renamed by tina as the mud monster! i redesigned the anti tips but keeping them adjustable quickly if needed but robust hand made and bent new brackets so there mounted as wide as practicaly possible and hopefully as safe as one can make it wore out one of my new drillbits doing it banghead banghead banghead even bosch stuff has gone downhill in quality.
took it for a thorough testing and even went over the dreaded hump into the park/riverwalk which is a challenge for even big scooters and it goes perfectly over it now! :thumbup: tina keep saying sorry for it getting muddy soppy moo she is i keep telling her thats what its for!pics cheers
chair at mk2 td ap og os 17 11 19 001.JPG

chair at mk2 td ap og os 17 11 19 002.JPG

chair at mk2 td ap og os 17 11 19 003.JPG

need :joint now as im hurting from head,well neck to toe!peace
duke1

Postby shirley_hkg » 18 Nov 2019, 02:49

They are a bit too far out .

Hide them near the drive wheels .
Attachments
IMG-20191118-WA0001.jpg
shirley_hkg

Postby duke1 » 18 Nov 2019, 12:46

shirley_hkg wrote:
They are a bit too far out .

Hide them near the drive wheels .

hi shirley theres a reason for that you see although my modifications have widened the chair a little it is still very short front to rear distance and having moved seat and therefore centre of gravity it was far to easy to tip backwards so i extended slightly the anti tip brackets in order to overcome the tendency to wheelie so easy but in my photos it looks like they stick out more but its shorter by a good few inches than tinas gunter meier outback chair,i decided traction is more important in the places it is intended to be used so kept the seat directly over the drive wheels and so need longer to be safe,cant fit anywhere near motors as theres zero room being as ive squeezed 6mph four poles in same space the weedy 3.25kph 2 poles came out of,its mm tight!peace
duke1

Postby ex-Gooserider » 19 Nov 2019, 01:52

Looks good, and should work well on anything but the mushiest of soft stuff....

My only concern is that the anti-tip wheels look really narrow compared to the drive tires.... I wonder if they would stop a wheelie if on really soft ground, or if they would just sink in like a shovel blade...

I forget which BM version it was on, but I remember one where BM had several skateboard looking wheels on the rod between the sides.... Possibly you could thread some onto that shaft between the wheels. Even if they were smaller, it would still give a lot more surface area to reduce sinking into the soup....

ex-Gooserider
T-5, ASIA-B
Jazzy 1100
Jazzy Select 6
Quickie Q-7
Invacare Mariner
Want to make / get a better chair, ideally one that stands.
ex-Gooserider

Postby farmer » 19 Nov 2019, 02:53

I think Shirly mean wider
farmer

Postby Burgerman » 19 Nov 2019, 03:05

He means this, so that the wheels, 4 of them, and the 16mm bar are harder to push into sand or soft ground. More surface area.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby duke1 » 19 Nov 2019, 14:10

ex-Gooserider wrote:Looks good, and should work well on anything but the mushiest of soft stuff....

My only concern is that the anti-tip wheels look really narrow compared to the drive tires.... I wonder if they would stop a wheelie if on really soft ground, or if they would just sink in like a shovel blade...

I forget which BM version it was on, but I remember one where BM had several skateboard looking wheels on the rod between the sides.... Possibly you could thread some onto that shaft between the wheels. Even if they were smaller, it would still give a lot more surface area to reduce sinking into the soup....

ex-Gooserider

hi i did think about this but have to wait for payday before i can buy more wheels but i found these so going to order 4 in black then i can put the horrid white ones back on my grandsons scooter before there next visit or he might be a bit cross!thanks for the advices all and thanks bm for the pic gives me better idea,i do value your help and if it helps keep my good lady safe its worth every minute/penny,peace
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100mm-Stunt- ... 0751676386
duke1

Postby ex-Gooserider » 26 Nov 2019, 05:56

Looks like a good choice on the wheels...

As far as the seatbelt question goes, I can understand the concerns about sliding into the drink and being trapped underwater, but I would still be inclined to use a seat belt....

Most automotive or aircraft style belts are quick release so a simple button push or lever flip will get them undone in a second or two - not really long enough to slow down escape if needed....

OTOH if sliding or rolling into a water body, I'd be concerned about the chair tipping or tumbling, and having it dump me out and then roll / slide over me.... Unlike on a motorcycle where I would want to bail ASAP if going down, I figure the chair is going to act like a partial roll cage, so I'd rather stay seated until things stop moving, and THEN work on escape....

Somewhat relevant experience - I was helping the GF to close our swimming pool several years back and snagged my joystick w/ the pool cover, and ended up driving my chair into the pool..... :oops: I had my seat belt on when I went in, and I don't think it delayed my getting out of the chair by more than a second...

ex-Gooserider
T-5, ASIA-B
Jazzy 1100
Jazzy Select 6
Quickie Q-7
Invacare Mariner
Want to make / get a better chair, ideally one that stands.
ex-Gooserider

Postby duke1 » 26 Nov 2019, 15:25

ex-Gooserider wrote:Looks like a good choice on the wheels...

As far as the seatbelt question goes, I can understand the concerns about sliding into the drink and being trapped underwater, but I would still be inclined to use a seat belt....

Most automotive or aircraft style belts are quick release so a simple button push or lever flip will get them undone in a second or two - not really long enough to slow down escape if needed....

OTOH if sliding or rolling into a water body, I'd be concerned about the chair tipping or tumbling, and having it dump me out and then roll / slide over me.... Unlike on a motorcycle where I would want to bail ASAP if going down, I figure the chair is going to act like a partial roll cage, so I'd rather stay seated until things stop moving, and THEN work on escape....

Somewhat relevant experience - I was helping the GF to close our swimming pool several years back and snagged my joystick w/ the pool cover, and ended up driving my chair into the pool..... :oops: I had my seat belt on when I went in, and I don't think it delayed my getting out of the chair by more than a second...

hi she point blank refuses a seatbelt but hopefully there will be no sliding sideways she has taken the mud monster to what was her nemesis its a heavy camber tarmac/moss/wet leaves/dogshit with camber towards river and the old outback chair slides a bit almost every time but once did come very close to the point of gravity taking it over the edge,the new ones just goes perfect no slide not so much of chair leaning over and hurting her back and hard to imagine the new one has no shocks or suspension other than the low pressure tyres and a comfy seat is far more stable and less hurty than her old chair that has suspension and motorcycle rear tyres with 20 psi in! still seems odd to me only having 5psi in the new ones but def works and i would reckon they should last a good while as there 6 ply,anyhow dogs are hassling for walk so we of down riverwalk in the rain and the difference is she now cant wait to do it! cheers :joint
ex-Gooserider
duke1

Postby duke1 » 29 Nov 2019, 18:48

hi all well today we took the mud monster into town and she did all her shopping in it all round the aisles and very busy doding the zombies and she says it bloody brilliant and the same afternoon she wanted to go out to the park and have a little play as she couldnt make the mud monster spin/slide round the corners like her gunter chair did and also these tyres do not squeek all the way round not a sound from them!she went over the dreaded hump and her nemesis riverwalk cambered path and remarked after how she had not even noticed till she was passed it,grinning from ear to ear! :lol:
i modified my homemade pressure washer and added a jet type nozzle so cleaning it takes minutes now and she feels less guilty when i have to clean it so more inclined to use it to its full potential.
but ive a small problem in that my tina from time to time has a tremor which can cause the chair steering to become a bit shaky and scary i know the vr2 program thing has a setting for tremor dampening but is it possible to have it on just one of the profiles or does it have to be all? @burgerman i know you dont rate most mob type chargers but i have seem
n a sonnenschein mob charger 7 amp it says and it appears to be same as tinas on the gunter chair which has been very good for years now so is it worth buying its new old stock i see if i can find specs,but any advice on the tremor dampening would be handy,cheers :worship :joint
edit to add link
https://www.activemobility.co.uk/batter ... E7EALw_wcB cheers
duke1

Postby Burgerman » 29 Nov 2019, 19:05

I have 4 of those. All do something different. All are rubbish. All will charge a chair, ish.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby steves1977uk » 29 Nov 2019, 19:14

That charger is no different from the Invacare ones, except different colour and branding. Who knows what it does without monitoring it with a PL8. :fencing Get a Shirley PSU duke and set it up to suit your batteries.

Steve
steves1977uk

Postby Burgerman » 29 Nov 2019, 19:35

See the yellow graph here?
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9344

That mess is the PL8 MONITORING,while charging with one...
Quite unbelievabe, but typical.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby duke1 » 29 Nov 2019, 20:53

Burgerman wrote:See the yellow graph here?
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9344

That mess is the PL8 MONITORING,while charging with one...
Quite unbelievabe, but typical.

ok thanks,question other than the tremor damping bit slowing driving response which seems dangerous to me is there any other setting that might help when she has steering hand tremors?cheers
duke1

PreviousNext

Return to Everything Powerchair