Meyra Optimus 2 15km/h direkt/drive

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Re: Meyra Optimus 2 15km/h direkt/drive

Postby Miguelitto » 24 Jul 2022, 13:01

Burgerman wrote:
I love my Optimus. Once the warranty expires I'll have serious thoughts about converting to a scooter.

But it is a scooter.

No it's a power wheelchair by the law

https://www.improveability. com/wheelchair-vs-scooter-whats-the-difference/
Miguelitto

Postby Burgerman » 24 Jul 2022, 13:19

That site doesent mention "law". And if it did - which country would it refer to?
And I couldnt care less what the "law" says anyway! And the law not clear about this in the UK regardless. I am only concerned with how it works.

And it also says "DISCLAIMER: The purpose of this article is to provide a GENERAL, BASIC introduction to this topic". Doesent mention "laws" at any point.

And it is worse than "basic", and pretty much nonsense in parts. I suspect you linked to it as a way to get traffic. A descrete spam effort. Since you joined 3 months ago and your first post includes a link to a pretty mediocre website.

As far as WE are concerned, and only concenrned with HOW IT WORKS,not what some laws might say. it uses a SINGLE drive motor. So not a wheelchair. It steers in a different way, like a car or scooter. All wheelchairs use tank steer to turn in place or as you go forwards or backwards. And tank steer mixing needed to do that is impossible with a single motor output.
Its a scooter layout, a drive motor and two wheels that steer. just with a joystick to turn the steering wheels. As such it is electrically and drive wise a scooter. With a joystick.

Also as such it takes a normal R-Net power module that has been modified by the manufacturers, to link its two seperate mixed steer/drive output channels together as one single channel for 1 motor to only drive forwards and reverse.

So all the normal turn setup, programming, and steering is gone, out of the window. It uses a single channel of (almost) double the power of a normal 2x 120A unit. To feed a single drive motor. In the exact same way all scooters/cars etc work. The only difference here is that instead of turning the bars to steer its done by servo motors, via what would have been a seating output sending info to some new myra electronics. And it drives "backwards" which makes no difference here... So that then needs a one off steer system that is a custom BUILT setup by the myra manufacturer. And it controls the steering/servos/etc. So the controller is a special one, in scooter mode, and not a normal tank steer wheelchair configuration. And so normal programming settings do not apply. Its a one off.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Miguelitto » 24 Jul 2022, 13:36

Burgerman wrote:That site doesent mention "law".
And I couldnt care less what the "law" says anyway! And the law not clear regardless.

And it also says "DISCLAIMER: The purpose of this article is to provide a GENERAL, BASIC introduction to this topic".
And it is worse than basic, and pretty much nonsense in parts. I suspect you linked to it as a way to get traffic. A descrete spam effort. Since you joined 3 months ago and your first post includes a link to a mediocre website.

As far as WE are concerned, and only concenrend in HOW IT WORKS, it uses a SINGLE drive motor. And as such all the normal wheelchair tank steer turn in place and tank steer mixing is impossible.
Its a scooter layout, just with a joystick to turn the steer wheels. As such it is electrically and drive wise a scooter.

Also as such it takes a normal R-Net power module that has been modified at the manufacturers, to link its two seperate mixed steer/drive output channels together as one single channel motor drive forwards and reverse channel. So all the normal turn setup, programming, and steering is gone, out of the window. It uses a single channel of (almost) double the power of a normal 2x 120A unit. To feed a single drive motor. In the exact same way all scooters work. The only difference here is that instead of turning the bars to steer its done by servo motors, and it drives "backwards" which makes no difference here... So that then needs a one off steer system that is a custom setup by the manufacturer. And it controls the steering/servos/etc. So the controller is in scooter mode, and not a normal tank steer wheelchair configuration. And so normal programming settings do not apply. Its a one off.

That it is your point of view and you are not the law neither nor mister Meyra who say the Optimus is a wheelchair not a scooter.

https://www.meyra.com/wheelchairs/e-pow ... eelchairs/

In many coutry a wheelchair is controled by hand, or mouth or head with a joystick or close to a joystick.
While a scooter is controled by handelbars.
Miguelitto

Postby Burgerman » 24 Jul 2022, 13:47

I told you I dont care and never mentioned laws. I am only concerned in its layout, its design. So we can help the user. Or probably not in this case. which is a single drive motor, and normal car/scooter style steering. It makes little difference if you turn these steer wheels by hand, or by joystick. What it is not is a conventional tank steer wheelchair.

A powerchair uses differential tank steer electronic mixing to steer. So that it behaves like a manual wheelchair ( note, this wheelchair has no joystick and is a still a wheelchair). Because it can turn in place and uses brain controlled "computer" and your hands to do the tank steer part.

Likewise many modified cars for disability, and farming equipment, earth movers, etc all use a joystick. They are NOT wheelchairs either! A joystick is not the thing that makes it a wheelchair.

What matters is the chassis and steer method. And the Myra you are talking about is a car/buggy/scooter single drive motor layour that needs its "caster" or rather its steered wheels controlled seperately like a car, scooter, buggy, etc. I dont care what you choose to call it because its not relevant here.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby rickystyx » 27 Jul 2022, 07:39

Yes it looks like a wheelchair, it has the controls of a wheelchair and is as short as some wheelchairs but there is no getting away with the fact that it is built on a scooter chassis. it is the fact that it is wheelchair shaped and folds as my chair does that attracted me to it since a good offroad scooter won't go into my car but with a little modification the Meyra does. It's a bit of a hybrid and a shame they didn't make it the other way around. That is my next project once I have sorted my ottobock again I will be looking at reversing the Meyra which should give it more drive grip having the drive wheels under my weight but will oviously reduce its ability to get over things because the smaller wheels will be at the front but it should make it more stable but sadly no more manouverable.
Perhaps I'll upsize the wheels too since I still have the TGA wheels available
ottobock b400 150Ah lifepo4
Swiss-trac manual chair add on with 30Ah Lifepo4 (want more 15Ah headway cells )
Meyra Optimus (PRIME)2 150Ah lifepo4 :0)
rickystyx

Postby Burgerman » 27 Jul 2022, 08:58

If you find something the smaller wheel will not climb after turning the eating around, you would just need to reverse up, for e.g a curb.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Everything Powerchair