Joystick handles

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Re: Joystick handles

Postby hobie1dog » 01 May 2021, 20:20

It looks like that top edge of the piston would be really hard on your hand being not sharp but not rounded off either.
Earth: The Insane Asylum of the Universe-nowhere else could things be more screwed up.

Invacare M61
Quickie S636- 3.00-4 tires, Chevy seat
hobie1dog

Postby Spectra_Pilot » 01 May 2021, 21:56

hobie1dog wrote:It looks like that top edge of the piston would be really hard on your hand being not sharp but not rounded off either.

I find it perfect as I'm totally rigid in a sitting position, arms fixed in a,position I can only describe as having your arms inside a belt, so I can only move fingers and partial wrist flex. Depending on my seating position, I either have a finger on the stem, grip the sides or a finger tip on the top for control.
Having such restrictions, the seating position dictates how I can reach the joystick, hence for me, the size and shape is perfect.
Spectra_Pilot

Postby ex-Gooserider » 04 May 2021, 01:51

I just use the bare stem on my JS pod, I've tried various larger knobs and found they didn't work as well for me.... I also wonder about how much extra strain some of those big knobs put on the joystick, both with the added weight and the extra leverage they give....

Either way, I could probably make just about any cylindrical shape desired on a lathe, non-cylindrical on a mill or possibly w/ a bit of welding, rubber would be hard, but any metal or hard plastic.... I could also see 3-D printing as an option...

ex-Gooserider
T-5, ASIA-B
Jazzy 1100
Jazzy Select 6
Quickie Q-7
Invacare Mariner
Want to make / get a better chair, ideally one that stands.
ex-Gooserider

Postby shirley_hkg » 04 May 2021, 03:28

Simple is beautiful . cheers :wave:
Attachments
IMG-20210319-WA0017.jpg
shirley_hkg

Postby expresso » 04 May 2021, 03:31

yes i agree - cant even find those -

the best one i felt was a med size mushroom

https://permobil.com.au/wp-content/uplo ... PCPT12.png

the only problem is they cost $70 the cheapest i found

i am trying to get another one from insurance -
Quickie 636 - 230ah LifePo4
expresso

Postby hobie1dog » 22 May 2021, 01:53

I found some nice soft black foam rubber golf balls that feel really comfortable on my long 2-3 hour rides
Earth: The Insane Asylum of the Universe-nowhere else could things be more screwed up.

Invacare M61
hobie1dog

Postby expresso » 22 May 2021, 02:00

nice - do you have a link to them ?
expresso

Postby hobie1dog » 22 May 2021, 02:13

expresso wrote:nice - do you have a link to them ?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07B3 ... 6TRH&psc=1

Invacare M61
hobie1dog

Postby expresso » 22 May 2021, 02:18

how did you attach it - you had to drill a hole in the ball ?
expresso

Postby Burgerman » 22 May 2021, 03:43

I did a golf ball for someone a year or so back. God knows how on earth you could possible steer with one however. Yes use your vernier to measure the steel shaft diameter. Drill a hole a fraction smaller and push on with care. Ir drill the same sized hole and add some contact adhesive and dont touch it for a few days.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby expresso » 22 May 2021, 03:56

i feel the same way - but everyone is different - it all depends on many things

i found the Med. size Mushroom handle feels good - better to me than the stock little witch hat on the Rnet JS -

i have it on the bounder - i wonder if i use one on the Rnet - how it would feel -
expresso

Postby rover220 » 22 May 2021, 07:52

Burgerman wrote:I did a golf ball for someone a year or so back. God knows how on earth you could possible steer with one however. Yes use your vernier to measure the steel shaft diameter. Drill a hole a fraction smaller and push on with care. Ir drill the same sized hole and add some contact adhesive and dont touch it for a few days.

You should remember that everyone is different. Golf balls are great for those with reduced dexterity.
rover220

Postby Burgerman » 22 May 2021, 10:13

Everyone is different. I understand that. But I can only describe what I see, feel, or control.

I have normal hands. And so I should be at least as good as someone that doesent. With all / any joystick variations.
I couldnt be as accurate with a golf ball. In fact I usually fit slimer sticks on my RC transmitters when flying helis etc for more precise control/feel. No way I could be precise enough with big heavy golf balls on my radio control transmitter... Bit like trying to steer your computer mouse with boxing gloves on. I would have to reduce programming sensitivity (speed) of the mouse, or RC transmitter, or powerchair.

Now if you cannot accurately hold a light slim joystick, then you have no choice obviously. And so things like turn speed, or damping would need to be reduced/increased to allow for it. With the result that the user would no longer be able to dart about at speed as accurately diving in and around obstacles or doorways or people in the same way I am able now. Again I can only look at this from my own perspective and the difference here is going to be minimal. How stable your hand is on the side of the pod in order to have a stable reference point to accurately move this joystick is going to make the greatest difference. Its hard to imagine anyone doing this and using thumb and fore-finger on a golfball. And thats where good control accuracy will come from.

For e.g to get precision I normally fit longer slim sticks to my RC transmitters. NEEDED when you have the heli set up to be highly responsive for accurate control. This is more "extreme" than a powerchair but the same principles apply.
Attachments
external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpg
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby foghornleghorn » 22 May 2021, 12:44

You never seem to understand that a lot of people don't want to hold their joystick the same way as they would hold one on a toy plane controller. What is right for a ten minute fly around a field is going to really hurt if you try driving a chair 30 miles in an afternoon.
foghornleghorn

Postby fishinjunky » 22 May 2021, 13:32

This guy 3d prints custom handles he does a great job super easy to work with and low prices. He prints all my handles. Just let him know what you need and he will come up with something. EXCELLENT customer service.

his shop on ETSY
https://www.etsy.com/shop/Quadclocks

his Facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/James-workshop-113605140349107
Invacare tdx sp
Bounder 300M 200ah lifepo4
fishinjunky

Postby Burgerman » 22 May 2021, 16:21

You never seem to understand that a lot of people don't want to hold their joystick the same way as they would hold one on a toy plane controller. What is right for a ten minute fly around a field is going to really hurt if you try driving a chair 30 miles in an afternoon.

Yes I do. I quite literally stated this.
Everyone is different. I understand that. But I can only describe what I see, feel, or control

And thats also why I dont use a hobby style one on my chair. I was using it as an example to illustrate a point. But you dont seem to understand that!

The point was that its far easier to be accurate with a pencil than a house brick when trying to write a sentence. And that driving a chair that is programmed for linear proportional control is very similar to writing in the need for accuracy and control. But it appears to have gone over your head. Try writing with a golf ball.

And yes some cant hold a normal joystick. I fully get that. And always did. That wasnt the point.

Where you have a choice and can correctly cradle the joystick pod in your hand, then its better to use a pen rather than a brick.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby ex-Gooserider » 25 May 2021, 02:18

It depends on what you are doing - I use a bare shaft on my joystick, as I found it gives me better control than the stock Pilot+ 'big nipple' knob... OTOH I find that I much prefer to write with a large diameter pen - and dislike using a 'stick' type pen...

ex-Gooserider
T-5, ASIA-B
Jazzy 1100
Jazzy Select 6
Quickie Q-7
Invacare Mariner
Want to make / get a better chair, ideally one that stands.
ex-Gooserider

Postby hobie1dog » 28 May 2021, 10:13

my black foam golf balls were too soft as they were splitting out on the bottom, so I need to find some that are more of a rubber composition. I like the feel of the round ball instead of the stick.

Invacare M61
hobie1dog

Postby Burgerman » 28 May 2021, 10:30

You will struggle to drill a rubber ball. I tried.

Best bet get some of those hollow golf balls with the holes in. Tape over all holes but one. Fill with black polyester resin or epoxy. Cut the plastic ball off later. Thats relatively easy to drill mounting hole. Even easier if you find a hard plastic ball with no holes. Drill one to fill it up.

You can drill tap a long thin hole in to take a M3 allen grub screw to lock it in place.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby shirley_hkg » 28 May 2021, 14:53

:wave:
Attachments
IMG-20210528-WA0006.jpg
shirley_hkg

Postby hobie1dog » 31 May 2021, 01:49

I've never seen a joystick that was threaded they're all simply smooth shaft

Invacare M61
hobie1dog

Postby Burgerman » 31 May 2021, 08:48

No. Its not a joystick handle. Fill with epoxy. Drill.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Everything Powerchair