Joystick handles

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Joystick handles

Postby expresso » 13 Sep 2020, 18:53

would anyone have a place there i can find this joystick handle at a fair price ?

https://www.quickie-wheelchairs.com/Whe ... dle/27398p

thanks
Quickie 636 - 230ah LifePo4
expresso

Re: Joystick handles

Postby Burgerman » 13 Sep 2020, 19:00

No. But someone is taking the p**s.

I could make that on my lathe in about 4 minutes. From a bit of black PTFE or similar offcut. If I wasnt stuck on this bed I would do you one for free and post it. How can they charge 67 dollars plus shipping for that? :o
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby woodygb » 13 Sep 2020, 19:23

A quick search and I found these ..reduced from $134.59!!!!! https://www.rehabmart.com/product/bodyp ... 36987.html
An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field.
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby Burgerman » 13 Sep 2020, 19:46

It must be trivial to run a very profitable business in the US. I could make 100 of those on monday and tuesday for peanuts. :clap

I could also make 1 and ship it to a cheap chinese manufacturer and pay 25 dollars for a box of 100.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby foghornleghorn » 13 Sep 2020, 19:48

Someone may be able to 3D print one for you with a combination of this half finished design plus the Bodypoint data sheet.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3143441

https://cdn.southwestmedical.com/images ... hnical.pdf
foghornleghorn

Postby Burgerman » 13 Sep 2020, 19:55

Last time I helped someone with tetraplegia who couldnt control a stock joystick I just fitted a rubber metalwork file handle. I used to buy them as they are nicer to hold than the typical plastic one. So I stole one from a file.

Mine were from ebay. Cheap china to the rescue. But they are identical to these. https://barehoofcare.com/index.php/prod ... sp-handle/
Also these maybe better. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1006396852

They literally just pushed on.

Some joysticks however have a thinner shaft, in which case you may need to use some evo stic type glue sniffers glue to be sure it stays. Or epoxy if you are sure its what you need.

Search rubber file handle. Or rubber rasp handle.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby expresso » 13 Sep 2020, 20:55

thanks - i realized i having some issues with how i hold the joystick - its how my arm hand sits now - so i noticed i tend to push the joystick knob more to the right which slows the chair since its off center - sometimes the roads do it also - if leaning on one side more etc, - but in general my hand tends to go right

so i am trying to figure out how to fix that - one way would be to move the joystick out some - so maybe when i hold it - i can get it to go center more - i was able to do that - i didnt test it yet - maybe tomorrow will go out to see - i dont really like how it looks though - but want to see how it works before i put it back

i want to try changing to the mushroom knob to see what difference that would make - i realized this from using my bounder chair with the square box - i have the mushroom on that one - after i got over the box look etc, - i realized using the bounder -- believe it or not - it has a lot of strong points that work better for me

so looking at the bounder Joystick - i realized why it works better - first i lean my wrist hand on the box and the knob is not closer to my arm rest like Rnet is - its actually further up to the right of the box - and it works better for me -

i figure let me try to position the Rnet similar to see if it fixes the issue - i like to try a the mushroom on the Rnet but $100 its crazy - i will look at that rubber rasp handle - i would try that also - i need to try a few things to see which works best -
expresso

Postby expresso » 13 Sep 2020, 21:10

https://www.stockhoffsonline.com/acatal ... ml#SID=417

this looks very close to the real thing

i never heard of a Rasp handle before - i should order this one first to try ? i think it needs to be 1/4 size to fit - dosnt say how big it is - how tall etc,

to change it - just pull off old one and push new one down ? i know on the bounder - they dont advise to push down on it much - can damage the joystick itself - not sure how true that is with the Rnet model
expresso

Postby Bubbernator » 13 Sep 2020, 21:52

That could work. It's a farrier's rasp handle. Those are very aggressive rasps for shaving down a horse's hoof.
It does have a threaded steel insert in it for screwing onto the tapered tang of the rasp (you can see photos of the rasps on another page of the same website).
It may thread down onto the joystick shaft but I wouldn't force it.

Here are some reasonably priced file handles on Amazon. Four in the set. Round hole and rectangular. The round hole is 7mm, just over 1/4".
https://www.amazon.com/ASNOMY-Ergonomic ... B07D7XS986
Bubbernator

Postby expresso » 13 Sep 2020, 22:10

i will try one of those i linked too which looks very close - curious to see what i get - - i emailed an seller on ebay who may have some - waiting to hear back - i will try to get another one from insurance if i can when tech comes over -

https://www.stockhoffsonline.com/acatal ... ml#SID=417

i can get two for $28 shipped - i cant see if it has a round hole there or what size it is - but it looks like i can make it work - - i will see if i hear back from ebay seller first or just get two to have anyway - who would have known - i have to buy horse supplies for my wheelchair parts -

its a racket this industry - always robbing the old and weak -

thanks for the ideas - i wish amazon had something similar - not sure i want that green handle - but i can cover it also - black tape - not bad idea - may work - i will save it on my list -
expresso

Postby Marcelo » 13 Sep 2020, 22:13

Burgerman wrote:No. But someone is taking the p**s.

I could make that on my lathe in about 4 minutes. From a bit of black PTFE or similar offcut. If I wasnt stuck on this bed I would do you one for free and post it. How can they charge 67 dollars plus shipping for that? :o

Olá Burgerman, está com escara amigo?
cheers
Marcelo

Postby Bubbernator » 13 Sep 2020, 22:14

Or possibly this. 12 piece set of maplewood engraver's handles. Assorted shapes, undrilled so you can drill it out to the diameter you need. And if you mess one up you have 11 more to play with... $14

https://www.amazon.com/ToolUSA-Maplewoo ... B00559ADY4
Bubbernator

Postby expresso » 13 Sep 2020, 22:15

4 inch maybe a bit long - but i can also lower my joystick in its original spot and use it - may work also - may not look great - but if it works - i can find it in black handle also -

i raised my joystick with spacers - if i put it back original - - using 4 inch handle - may not be too bad - -

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005W0UQDO/re ... _mrai_2_dp

says round hole - but looks a little square to me from what i can see ?
expresso

Postby expresso » 13 Sep 2020, 22:21

https://www.amazon.com/Rosewood-Graver- ... KB5C1SSQT6

this is close but in wood - wonder if its too heavy - thats another thing - light is better for me - between Rnet joystick and Bounder - bounder is much better and lighter to move around - less tension - if you shake the bounder joytick box - the brake click will go off - knob moves also -
expresso

Postby rover220 » 13 Sep 2020, 22:45

Try a golf ball.
rover220

Postby expresso » 13 Sep 2020, 22:51

do you think just changing a knob on the joystick will make a difference ? i mean if i have to keep the joystick in the current position - which looks right - but dosnt work right most times because of the way i hold it - my hand arm etc, - and i just change out the knob - what difference that can make ?

golf ball - reminds me of my Hurst Shifter with the 8 ball on top - long handle short throw - i miss those days -
expresso

Postby Bubbernator » 14 Sep 2020, 00:33

Hmmm. The last time I saw a Hurst shifter in action my buttcrack was eating the seat. 1969 GTO Judge that one of my high-schools buddies owned. Pucker Factor of 10.
Anyway, I found a manufacturer of some nice handles. Unfortunately you need to register as a business to order online but there is no minimum order quantity, so you could buy just one. (edited- I was wrong. Sold in quantities of 10 pieces). I would give them a phone call and ask for a sample. It couldn't hurt to try.....
https://www.elesa.com/en/elesab2bstoreu ... --IELNSOFT
Bubbernator

Postby expresso » 14 Sep 2020, 00:48

thats a nice find - everytime i search - i never find what i want - if i am searching for someone else for there things - i do better for them than for myself

thanks - i miss my Cobra Mustang - it was fun - bounder is closet to having fun now with a chair - for me its the best i will get in terms of speed and fun factor out of it - comes at a cost -

looks like i have a few options now at a reasonable cost - i will look into that one - :thumbup:
expresso

Postby ex-Gooserider » 15 Sep 2020, 01:21

Caution on trying to drill golf balls... Many have liquid centers under considerable pressure - and can spew said liquid violently... The liquid is reportedly nasty stuff in some cases - toxic, caustic, and otherwise not something you want on you or anything of value...

There is also the issue of 'workholding' as the balls are slightly squishy, round, and the rubber in them tends to be 'grabby'....

I agree with other commenters that it would be a relatively simple thing to turn on a lathe, given enough info on dimensions, etc...

ex-Gooserider
T-5, ASIA-B
Jazzy 1100
Jazzy Select 6
Quickie Q-7
Invacare Mariner
Want to make / get a better chair, ideally one that stands.
ex-Gooserider

Postby expresso » 15 Sep 2020, 20:29

https://www.elesa.com/en/elesab2bstoreu ... err=second

i called them and this one is the closet if not the same - min order is 10 but the guy was nice and will just send me one or two for free as samples -

if it works and fits - even ordering 10 isnt that bad if you have a few chairs etc, always come in handy -

would be even cheaper than ebay if you find them there - at least if you buy 10 - spend $60 etc, but you get 10 NOT One -

good find :thumbup: thanks
expresso

Postby Burgerman » 15 Sep 2020, 21:01

even ordering 10 isnt that bad if you have a few chairs

Would be for me! Couldnt drive a chair with that fitted to save my life! But I know what you mean.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby expresso » 15 Sep 2020, 21:30

its the first time i tried that knob on any chair - got it for the bounder and for the bounder - its fine - i am trying to make my Rnet chair better - i tried mounting it outside a bit more - didnt work when i used it - so will mount it back inside more and angle the whole thing sideways - and see then - will look a bit funny or stupid i think but i am just trying to find the best angle position that allows me to use it better -

since i tend to push it towards the right more - slowing the chair - it does depend on the road also - if the road is angle down to the right - and i ride it on the left side - i get it to run fine perfect position - for full speed -

or another solution also would be - using a arm pad that keeps your hand elbow in like a groove - so your hand arm is straight - that may be the last thing i can try if nothing else works or if i am not happy with it - on the bounder that knob is very easy to move around with fingers -

i wonder can a joystick from the bounder - Box style i have now - could that be using with an Rnet system - with adapter cables etc, - i know most likely not - -wiring is different i am sure - but just curious - has that even been done before - with other joysticks - mix and match ?

just so happens the box on the bounder and position of the knob - all come together and work better for me - i wouldnt have though

it may not work well on Rnet - i have to try it to find out - its not working out for me the way it is - just trying things and hopefully find a solution that works
expresso

Postby expresso » 15 Sep 2020, 21:34

Burgerman wrote:
even ordering 10 isnt that bad if you have a few chairs

Would be for me! Couldnt drive a chair with that fitted to save my life! But I know what you mean.

have you tried it before ? i know users who dont hold it at all - and cup there hand over it on top - everyone is different how they are able to hold it - joysticks are always angled on alot of users i see - one way or another - - someone also uses there elbow sometimes leaving there hands free - people see it strange the chair moving with no hands on it -
expresso

Postby Burgerman » 15 Sep 2020, 22:36

i know users who dont hold it at all - and cup there hand over it on top - everyone is different

Thats the main reason people cannot control a chair well, and why they need the manufactuers delayed action unsteerable programming. If you have your hand cupping the side of the controller as a reference point and steer with the finger/thumb you can have the programming configured in a way that makes the chair do *exactly* as told. And if not you just cannot! Yes that may not be possible for everyone. Esp if the joystick is too low and too outboard. And if you dont have good normal hand function. But it is the only way it works properly with linear real time proportional programming.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby expresso » 15 Sep 2020, 22:42

working proper is not One size fits all - we all have disablitlies - arms hands etc, what ever - things change over time and it seems as if i changed - which means i have to adjust and make it work as best i can - the postion you say is the only way - is good for you and others who may not have hand issues or arm etc,

so actually very few that i see outdoors that dont have issues as such.

bottom line - i want to try to make it work as best i can - which means - moving it inward and sideways next - to see what that does - if anything - later can add the knob once i get it - and see what that does - it may not be better or it may - its good on the bounder - so i figure i try that one -
expresso

Postby expresso » 15 Sep 2020, 22:46

Burgerman wrote:
i know users who dont hold it at all - and cup there hand over it on top - everyone is different

Thats the main reason people cannot control a chair well, and why they need the manufactuers delayed action unsteerable programming. If you have your hand cupping the side of the controller as a reference point and steer with the finger/thumb you can have the programming configured in a way that makes the chair do *exactly* as told. And if not you just cannot! Yes that may not be possible for everyone. Esp if the joystick is too low and too outboard. And if you dont have good normal hand function. But it is the only way it works properly with linear real time proportional programming.

i do use the side of the joystick with my hand to hold but it seems its too close to me now the knob - it may work better if i extend it so the knob is far away like the bounder sort of and see - but then the joystick is 6 feet away - looks very funny - they should have small box options like the bounder - for some of us

i never really liked these huge joysticks - Rnet isnt too bad - but have to keep it close not to make it look so huge - - i like the bounder box - may look old to everyone but works for me - i dont need fancy color etc - if i have it - its nice but not needed -
expresso

`

Postby steves1977uk » 15 Sep 2020, 23:24

You can get compact joysticks for R-net expresso, I have two Compact Joystick Advance units here that I'm planning to use on my chairs. The only drawback is that you have to use the joystick and mode button to access features like lights, indicators, etc...

So there are smaller joystick options. :thumbup:

Steve
steves1977uk

Postby Burgerman » 15 Sep 2020, 23:55

There are tiny joystic only options, and non screen (like the pilot plus ones) small pods, etc. As well. Also consider a shorter arm top, or move the arm top back so the joystick isnt stuck away at a long distance!

The problem comes when you have many seating options and menus. If its not going to take a week to guess what does what and whats going on next you NEED a fancy screen. And you need the newest one as its the only one that you can see outdoors in daylight properly.

I have 5 power functions. So 10 options/directions. And having a picture of the chair with the appropriet bit lit and arrows helps enormously.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Re: `

Postby expresso » 16 Sep 2020, 00:02

steves1977uk wrote:You can get compact joysticks for R-net expresso, I have two Compact Joystick Advance units here that I'm planning to use on my chairs. The only drawback is that you have to use the joystick and mode button to access features like lights, indicators, etc...

So there are smaller joystick options. :thumbup:

Steve

think of the bounder box - something like that - i dont see anywhere else - that offers a place to rest your hand wrist - joystick knob isnt so close to you so can hold it better differently - and i can hold the box on the side also for support
expresso

Postby expresso » 16 Sep 2020, 00:04

Burgerman wrote:There are tiny joystic only options, and non screen (like the pilot plus ones) small pods, etc. As well. Also consider a shorter arm top, or move the arm top back so the joystick isnt stuck away at a long distance!

The problem comes when you have many seating options and menus. If its not going to take a week to guess what does what and whats going on next you NEED a fancy screen. And you need the newest one as its the only one that you can see outdoors in daylight properly.

I have 5 power functions. So 10 options/directions. And having a picture of the chair with the appropriet bit lit and arrows helps enormously.

what are you saying - shorter arm top ? -

power functions can be controlled with toggle switches also - not wired into the joystick - in that case dont need a screen - i know tilt is fine this way - but who knows if seat lift can be done this way also - or other functions -
expresso

Next

Return to Everything Powerchair