Buying a Vat Qualifying van

Adapted Vehicles.

VEHICLE MENU: www.wheelchairdriver.com/accessible-vehicles.htm

Buying a Vat Qualifying van

Postby stevelawiw » 06 Nov 2020, 15:55

I'm looking at getting a VW Caravelle with a side ramp and fully loaded and converted (by GM Coachworks) they are a bit pricey something like £65,000
so I'm thinking of going the Vat Qualifying (QV) nearly new route. You can pick up a VQ Caravelle from a VW dealership 'fully loaded' for around £40,000 and I've spoken to GM Coachworks who will do the conversion on a VQ van. I'm just waiting for them to get back to me with the conversion only cost (lowered floor etc).

I guess I should explain that the point of getting a VQ van is that you can buy it zero-rated for Vat as a disabled person
stevelawiw

Re: Buying a Vat Qualifying van

Postby stevelawiw » 10 Nov 2020, 18:21

Ok so my cunning plan has fallen to bits.
GM Coachworks got back to me with a conversion only cost of £25k :shock: which is more than I expected, so the total cost of purchase is (roughly) comparable to buying a new converted van.
Plus there was a disagreement on wether I could buy the van and the conversion zero rated, GM said not (they maintain you can only have one transcation zero rated) I disagreed (I phoned HMRC and they agreed with me), but I would still have to convince GM Coachworks that I was entitled to it all zero rated. banghead
stevelawiw

Postby Burgerman » 10 Nov 2020, 21:09

Just tell them that the tax people agreed with you.

Welcome to the disabled world. Its doubtful that the saving on a used van will be worthwhile.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 10 Nov 2020, 21:17

The benefits system is unfair. Why? Well my freind has kidney failure. He gets the EXACT SAME mobility allowance, as I do. In fact all the same. Except care allowance but that is taken away by the council!

The vast majority have a bad knee or get out of breath easily or whatever and so a relatively simple basic freebe motability car works for them. He gets mobility allowance in case he needs to go to the next town for a transplant urgently. His family already have 2 cars... And he is relatively fit! And young.

But if you are ACTUALLY disabled, that same mobility allowance figure is expected to go to buy any non 4mph outdoor wheelchair/powerchair according to the council and WCS. So now no car... -£££

So if you BUY YOUR OWN powerchairs at rediculous cost, you still cant get a motobility car, brand new every 3 years with tyres, insurance, servicing etc all thrown in. Because we need to add an extra 30K + of our own money AND the motobiity/mobility allowance for lowered floor larger vans that are 70k!! And then give it back after 3 or 5 years to do it all again! Well thats unfair and unafordable.

And we are the ones with all the added problems £££ and costs. Every day theres another disability reated cost. From knackered carpets, to paying people to do basic jobs (usually badly) that everyone else can do themselves. This week, more sheets and cushions. Gardens. Last week a new electric bed motor. Its endless.

Rant over.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby rover220 » 10 Nov 2020, 22:27

Caravelle is not a good choice unless you have the whole floor lowered. Headroom is poor as standard.
rover220

Postby Burgerman » 10 Nov 2020, 22:33

The GM Colarado is the ONLY caravelle or transporter you should be looking at for the reasons rover mentions. The rest dont have the headroom or a fully and properly lowered floor. So that you need a special low powerchair that is both rubbish to use and very limiting. The GM conversion is fine.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby stevelawiw » 10 Nov 2020, 22:59

Its doubtful that the saving on a used van will be worthwhile.

It would have been without the £25k GM Coachworks hike

I'm still going to have a look at the Caravelle Colorado and the Ford Torneo Custom Colorado after the lockdown is over.
I really like the thought of having a boot and the original rear bench seats. Your tailgate on your van BM is it electric?

Just tell them that the tax people agreed with you.

I did. They chose to ignore me.
stevelawiw

Postby Burgerman » 10 Nov 2020, 23:21

Get it in writing from the tax office.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby stevelawiw » 10 Nov 2020, 23:38

Yes I would do if I wanted to pursue the VQ Van approach but the £25k conversion cost blows that out of the water (that's the ex vat price by the way)
But it's a grey area anyway HMRC put the onus on the supplier to make sure I'm eligible to buy the vehicle zero rated so if they are unsure or just feel like dragging thier heals who's going to stop them?
stevelawiw

Postby Burgerman » 11 Nov 2020, 06:50

I understand WHY its 25K. You should see the amount of modification to almost everything under the van. As well as replacing the bottom with a new floor 10 inches lower. Then theres around 7 to 8K forthe ramp. Many one off plastic mouldings and trim parts at high cost in small numbers. And modification to rear air conditioning, redoing all the fuel and brake pipes, extending the wiring loom and rerouting it, And weeks of labour.

Thats why its probably not worth doing on a used vehicle.

And give it a while and watch the exchange rates...
Burgerman
Site Admin

Return to Adapted Cars Vans MPV's