Anyone looked at one of these?

Adapted Vehicles.

VEHICLE MENU: www.wheelchairdriver.com/accessible-vehicles.htm

Anyone looked at one of these?

Postby Burgerman » 25 Jan 2021, 09:55

https://sirusautomotive.co.uk/vehicles/ ... d-drive-x/

I like fords. Tried looking at the small transit connect. Its way too small for any full sized rehab chair. This is much bigger and a new conversion. Thought I would take a look as soon as this damned virus thing is over. Or at as soon as its spring...

They are cheaper than the VW collerado and their conversions are very high quality from what I have seen in the past.

I am interested in if theres enough room inside to turn around, easily. And if theres enough room to get properly behind the wheel and if the steering wheel is high enough o miss my legs! Also they do a hybrid plug in/electric. So for local stuff, no fuel needed...
Burgerman
Site Admin

Re: Anyone looked at one of these?

Postby Burgerman » 25 Jan 2021, 12:59

Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Swan T.W. » 25 Jan 2021, 19:20

Burgerman wrote:https://www.gmmobility.co.uk/private-purchase/ford-custom-colorado

Or...

Alittle tight on head room[56'].The other one is better[59'].
Swan T.W.

Postby stevelawiw » 09 Feb 2021, 00:46

Yes I had a demo of Ford Custom Colorado early Jan access is easy in my home built chair. I liked it.
I contacted Sirus even tho I'd already had bad customer service from them in the past, but When I asked them about thier Ford they said a Storm 3 ( it never works when you say your chair is custom built, so I alway say Storm 3) wouldn't fit in it and recomended I get a centre drive chair banghead
stevelawiw

Postby Burgerman » 09 Feb 2021, 02:08

So the GM one was bigger/better?

Can we elaborate?
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby stevelawiw » 09 Feb 2021, 14:48

Lol ok I'll try.
Although I'm better at answering specific questions :angel:
You know it's an underfloor side caddy lift, is it the same as is in your van?
It was the first time I'd ever used one but it was fine getting in as you're facing into the van, I didn't much like getting out as I felt a bit nervous driving the chair out onto the lift not wanting to go to far and falling off the end, but at the same time knowing that if you don't go far enough you won't clear the van at the back as you descend, but I'm sure I'd get used to it quickly.
In the van there's plenty of space to position yourself either as driver or front passenger, depending on which seat has been removed (you could, of course remove both and have two wheelchairs side by side). Spacewise I found I could reverse out of the driving position far enough without hitting the rear seat array for my feet to clear anything at the front for easy access to the side lift to exit the van.
In the rear you have the standard back seats which can hold three people and through the rear door a nice boot, the luxury side entry allows you over having a ramp at the rear of the van.
You can have an optional electric rear door fitted, but it costs over £2500 as it's a GM Coachworks add on because Ford don't do one themselves (VW Caravelle electic rear door only costs about £600 because it's a standard add-on). I found I could manage the standard rear door, so didn't bother with electric.

Does that help?
Steve
stevelawiw

Postby Burgerman » 09 Feb 2021, 16:38

Yes thanks. Can you get square on and central to the driving position? In the correct place to drive as you cant in the caravelle that ANY company does due to the shape of the dashboard/door etc.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby stevelawiw » 09 Feb 2021, 17:17

Yes. There's nothing in the way at all, I could get perfectly square on.
I've never tried the Caravelle so nothing to compare with, but the Ford is fine.

Is it the same lift as you use? Do you do much to it to keep it going maintenance wise, and are there any points you would recommend to keep an eye on to keep it working well?
stevelawiw

Postby Burgerman » 09 Feb 2021, 17:20

Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby stevelawiw » 09 Feb 2021, 18:47

Ok thanks. Don't know what made me think you had a lift.
stevelawiw

Postby Burgerman » 09 Feb 2021, 19:09

In the previous VW Caravelle I had a ricon clearway lift in the side door. It needed no maintanance.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby steves1977uk » 07 Aug 2021, 17:54

I have a Ford Tourneo Custom van which I got on Motability. It''s the LWB version which enables me to have 2 chairs in the back if needed. Will come and show it to you BM when you're up and about more, if you want. :thumbup:

Melissa (my PA) and my Brother Mark can drive it to enable me to get out more and do stuff. A full tank of diesel gives about 400 miles range which is very nice! Overall I'm very happy with it. And it's black! :D

Steve
steves1977uk

Postby Burgerman » 07 Aug 2021, 21:04

Very nice. Its a long way though. Thanks for the offer.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Return to Adapted Cars Vans MPV's