Head clearance on van passenger side

Adapted Vehicles.

VEHICLE MENU: www.wheelchairdriver.com/accessible-vehicles.htm

Head clearance on van passenger side

Postby bguy » 22 Apr 2021, 11:20

The opening on a van I am looking at is 48"

When I measure my wife in chair, her head is at 53"

Can one duck 5"?

Any practical experience that any of you can share?
bguy

Re: Head clearance on van passenger side

Postby Dan » 22 Apr 2021, 12:27

Buy a bigger van or get a shorter wife.
Sorry to be unhelpful but if it didn't fit it didn't fit. Also her wheelchair will need a headrest if its going to be used as a vehicle seat.

Have a look at vans with cut floors and ramps.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/144013739986?hash=item2187e347d2:g:4GsAAOSwG8ZfqCZV

Or a high roof.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154414533784?hash=item23f3d2cc98:g:EioAAOSw46Rgdv4D
I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude.
Dan

Postby bguy » 22 Apr 2021, 16:02

Dan wrote:Buy a bigger van or get a shorter wife.
Sorry to be unhelpful but if it didn't fit it didn't fit. Also her wheelchair will need a headrest if its going to be used as a vehicle seat.

Have a look at vans with cut floors and ramps.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/144013739986?hash=item2187e347d2:g:4GsAAOSwG8ZfqCZV

Or a high roof.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154414533784?hash=item23f3d2cc98:g:EioAAOSw46Rgdv4D

I am familiar with all the ways that one can modify a vehicle to get more headroom.

I also am aware of a headrest, we have one all ready and her head is above it. It is easily taken off.

The reason why I am asking for practical experience is that there is not even one vehicle in the united states that meets my requirements so it is likely I will buy something that works and then build it. I am wondering if one can temporarily deal with a 48" opening. Thanks in advance.
bguy

Postby bguy » 22 Apr 2021, 22:36

Here is a picture of one that ticks all the marks, but again, the opening is likely 48" as the floor is not dropped and the doors no extended into the extended roof.

https://sportsmobile.com/sections/galle ... elc_01.jpg
bguy

Postby Burgerman » 23 Apr 2021, 02:22

All the converted minivans such as this, and my own are 54 inch door, 58 inch inside at least.
I doubt that you could duck 6 inches. Without a removable headrest and head.

This is ten inches taller than what you are looking at, and still brushes my head.

https://www.rollxvans.com/our-vehicles/dodge-caravan/
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Dan » 23 Apr 2021, 04:45

Sorry bguy I thought you were in the UK.
If you can rob a bank. Ram ProMaster Long-Wheelbase Conversion Van

youtu.be/yUr9Na7V9Aw

This guy on youtube is always driving large cheap vans from the 90's

youtu.be/WHGbpf9lrcA

Hes on Twitter
https://twitter.com/everyoneisdumb

Something like this.
https://www.google.com/search?q=2004+CHEVROLET+EXPRESS+EXPLORER+CONVERSION+VAN+WHEELCHAIR&client=firefox-b-d&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwit3e66t5PwAhWyx4UKHTGfCYsQ_AUoAnoECAEQBA&biw=1556&bih=808&dpr=2.22#imgrc=p0UYQvxEZIYmxM
Dan

Postby Dan » 23 Apr 2021, 05:05

My favourite on this site with loads of vans for sale. You're going to need a long driveway.
http://www.blvd.com/wheelchair-vans/midwest-transit-kankakee/4DRBUAAN48A502086
Dan

Postby Burgerman » 23 Apr 2021, 10:36

It would work on my drive OK but parking at sainsburies might be a bit of an issue... Also I cant drive it from a wheelchair...

And it looks a bit dated...
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby bguy » 23 Apr 2021, 13:24

One requirement is 4x4. But. I think I am going to drop that requirement, buy something now that is 2WD while I continue to look or build.

Not AWD, meaning 2 speed transfer case and at least manual locking hubs. Also must have option to transfer to seat and bed.

Not scared about price. They are just unobtainium. If there was one built I would really try to rationalize it. I have seen only a couple ever.

My driveway is about 100' long. I have parking on the side of the garage for something about 10 meters long.
bguy

Postby Dan » 23 Apr 2021, 13:48

I hope you find what you're looking for. In the UK there are some companies that will convert any van. I'm sure there will be some in the US too.

It seems like most of those old large vans have monster V8 petrol engines. You can't get anything like that here.
Dan

Postby Burgerman » 23 Apr 2021, 15:51

Thats because fuel is around 8 dollars a gallon! So big stuff is always turbo diesel.

THIS is available as 4X4 and can have a set of serious wheels and tyres. Lowered floor. Lift in side door. And can be wheelchair driver/passenger as well as capable of some serious off road.

Sprinters can be ordered 4X4 and then raised and bigger wheels like this. Interior fitted out any way you want. Sprinters are a common wheelchair conversion. Side or rear door. Plenty interior height and door height.
Attachments
4x4.jpg
mercedes-sprinter-x-sprinter-conversion.jpg
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby swalker » 23 Apr 2021, 23:12

It sounds like you want a 4x4 van and can't find one with a tall enough entry, so you are asking about the feasibility of having one with a door entry that is too low.

That is exactly the situation we found ourselves in 6 years ago when we started looking for a van.

We wound up compromising and buying a used 2 wheel drive Chevy Express 1500 conversion van with a Braun Vangater II lift. It has a raised roof, but the side doors do not extend into the raised portion of the roof. I would guess that the wheelchair and I are about 8 to 10 inches too tall to fit through the entry.

The Vangater II lift instructions say to always be facing out when entering or exiting the vehicle. The middle row captain's chairs have been removed (actually moved to the back row, replacing the bench seat/bed that was originally there). We have an EZ Lock installed in the middle row. When I enter or exit the vehicle, I tilt and recline the wheelchair so that I fit through easily. It is really no problem for me to do this. I have a memory setting for the configuration of the chair that allows me to enter and exit the van. I have another memory setting for the configuration it should be in once I am inside the van. I do not have to remove the headrest to enter or exit the van.

What I like: There are few changes to the vehicle, just the addition of the lift and the eZ Lock. Either of the captain's chairs now in the rear can be removed, allowing me to carry more equipment (or a spare wheelchair). It has driver's side doors to access the middle row. The van has been reliable and pretty affordable. We bought it with 82,000 miles on it and it now has a bit over 200,000 miles on it. After having it for a few years, It was stolen and damaged beyond what insurance thought was economical to repair. We bought it back from insurance, had the repairs made, and continue to use it. This van has far exceeded my rather low expectations.

What I don't like: There is no practical way to have power doors on my van. Not so bad when I am outside getting in, but it is very hard for me to get the doors open when I am inside the van. I wish I did not have to tilt/recline the wheelchair to get in, but I can live with it. We don't have remote start and the electric lift burns through a car battery about every year or so. It is 2WD and I really want 4WD. It is a half ton (1500), which weighs in at about 70 pounds less than GVWR with my wife, me, my wheelchair, and a full tank of gas. I would rather have a 3/4 ton (2500), but those don't have driver side doors to access the middle row.

I have considered some options. One is to get an AWD van (Chevy Express, GMC Savana, or Mercedes Sprinter). But, I would really rather have 4WD (with transfer case).

Another option is a 4WD conversion of a van, like the sportsmobile. Based on what I have learned so far, going with a Ford E van would probably be the best approach. Ford E vans don't have driver side doors to access the middle row, though.

A more likely option for us is get a 4WD pickup like the one done by All Terrain Conversions. Unfortunately, those do not accommodate most large power wheelchairs very well in the 4WD version. If we do go this route, we would get a 1 ton short bed single rear wheel drive in 4WD with passenger side conversion. I estimate the out the door price would be around $100,000 new, so we would be looking for a used one.

Please be sure to update us with any information you find. I am keenly interested in this topic.

Steve
Permobil F5 Corpus 3G
Permobil C500s VS
Permobil C500 Corpus 3G
Permobil C350 Corpus 3G
Magic Mobility X4 with 176 Ah LiFePO4
swalker

Return to Adapted Cars Vans MPV's