15 years old

Adapted Vehicles.

VEHICLE MENU: www.wheelchairdriver.com/accessible-vehicles.htm

15 years old

Postby Burgerman » 11 May 2021, 15:25

Cost me 30k, 15 years ago delivered complete with tiedown and hand controls imported from the US at half the cost of a UK version...
Still literally as new, just been detailed. Its polished under the bonnet (hood?) and the carpets and interior absolutely as new. The ramp is not dirty and still matt black.

Thats 2k per year. And that does not include the vans residual value. Its done 10k miles never driven in winter. Has 50watt solar panel on roof and charge regulator so always fully charged. Odyssey battery. Pirellie P-Zero run flat, 245/60 19 inch tyres on 19 inch x 9 inch wide alloy split rims and original satnav etc.

It would have cost me 57K to buy a UK one, in 2006. It would have been 28K down payment, and all my mobility allowance (over 200 a month) to lease one every 5 years had I used motobility. So dont!!! And so I would have spent almost 120k using motability! And would need to sign up all over again this year making that 160k plus had I been that stupid.

NEVER use motability. It works out at 4x the cost, and you STILL own no vehicle!

Today... And paid for 15 years ago, meaning I keep the 200 a month mobility allowance for the past 15 years... So I have saved 36k towards a new one!

http://www.wheelchairdriver.com/P2.jpg
Burgerman
Site Admin

Re: 15 years old

Postby hank » 11 May 2021, 16:32

And it still looks brand new John :thumbup: :clap :clap
Quickie groove Brushless
BM2.5 clone
hank

Postby Burgerman » 11 May 2021, 17:06

Maybe. But I still want a 2021 or 2022 one... And am looking. And while I saved 36k towards a new one, err, I didnt actually save it as such... :oops:

So will likely be doing equity release on my house...
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby rover220 » 11 May 2021, 18:21

motability has a place.
rover220

Postby F55 » 11 May 2021, 19:00

rover220 wrote:motability has a place.

Absolutely.

Horses for courses, who wants a 15 year old vehicle that you are paying to insure, service and obtain breakdown cover for when you can get a brand new WAV after 5 years or 7 for low miles? Expensive taxi maybe but bloody hassle free.

If you don't mind an old vehicle then all well and good but Motability certainly has its place and I've done both.

P.S. Yours need to sit lower with those rims and tyres on.
F55

Postby Burgerman » 11 May 2021, 19:21

Well if it has, then its not including lowered floor or other expensive minivans.

Today for e.g. in the UK a drive drom van that has side entry thats big enough to get a real powerchair in, will cost you:

Cash price, in the UK say a VW caravelle like the GM Colorado, 70K and if you keep it clean and polished will be as good as new in 20 years.
Thats: 3.5K per year with residual value in the van as I have remaining as a trade in for a new one.

Same thing with an imported LHD one at todays terrible exchange rates is 45K delivered.
Thats 2K per year. Again with residual value remaining.

With motobility you have a 40k UPFRONT payment, and then you keep it 5 years. And it still costs you £62 per week. For the full 5 years... Thats an additional £16,120. So to only keep it FIVE years costs you 40K + 16K and so thats £55K every 5 years rinse and repeat. So 165k when its the same 15 years as my own 30K van.

So it seems to me that only the rich can afford to lease one...
Can you see any place where motobility is a better solution?
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 11 May 2021, 19:26

Well it comes down to this. Its STILL cheaper to import a brand new one over 5 years than use motability. If you understood these minivan conversions you would also know why it cant be lowered.

Its never had a service. An oil change, twice that I did. Not that it needed it!

And it is quite literally as still as new. Its cleaner and shinier even underneath than other peoples 3 month old vehicles.

Even if you only keep it 5 years on motobility. Its only cost me 30K total, To get the same lowered floor minivan on motobility was 26K down, and 200 a month for 5 years. And then you gave it back. So even over 5 years its cheaper to just buy outright and then still own the thing after the 5 years is up as a bonus! The initial payment is almost the price of importing a brand new van alone!

Horses for courses, who wants a 15 year old vehicle that you are paying to insure,

You pay to insure regardless. Every year... 277 last year. 267 this year.
service and obtain breakdown cover

I never had breakdown cover and when it NEEDS a service I will do it. For free. So far its only ever had oil changes. Actually thiking about it I have FREE breakdown cover with my bank account. Not that I need it. Brothers with a rope. And freinds that race cars. With trailers.

for when you can get a brand new WAV after 5 years or 7 for low miles?

Because my 15 year old one has done 10k miles... I only need it when going out of town, as I go most local places by lithium powerchair.
Why? Because its 4 times cheaper.

Or look at it this way. £220 per month extra for free to spend for the last 15 years. And its still cleaner and shinier inside and out than yours is. Even the original carpets have never seen a foot or a wheel. I get them covered in a cheap replacable carpet every 5 years. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7835 The inside is as new as the underneath... Its never seen a wet or winter road.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby F55 » 11 May 2021, 19:54

Burgerman wrote:
With motobility you have a 40k UPFRONT payment, and then you keep it 5 years. And it still costs you £62 per week. For the full 5 years... Thats an additional £16,120. So to only keep it FIVE years costs you 40K + 16K and so thats £55K every 5 years rinse and repeat. So 165k when its the same 15 years as my own 30K van.

So it seems to me that only the rich can afford to lease one...
Can you see any place where motobility is a better solution?

No idea where you get the 40K upfront payment. I know different and that is the place where Motability is a better solution, way better.
F55

Postby Burgerman » 11 May 2021, 20:02

In many ways its like the rent Vs buy in the housing market. Renting makes absolutely no sense. And a great way to pay for someone elses house. Buying is like putting your cash into your own bank. Which ties in to the van thing.

I bought 2 houses in my life. The first one when I was 19. I lived there for a couple of months, then let it out so some other person could live there and BUY IT for me. I paid 30K at that time, and once the tennants finished paying for it, (with some extra ££ for my beer) I sold it for 2.5 times as much as it cost (them!).

Sold it to pay off the mortgage on this house I live in now. That was in 2003 or so I think. This house was valued at a fair amount back then I thought. But it has doubled in price since. Probably a little more. We are now into the 3xxxxx figures. This is what will pay for my new 70K van... I will be dead in a decade so may as well use up some equity and have another new one. It will then see me out. Still not sure if the Caravelle is adequate. May need to import another US one.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 11 May 2021, 20:06

No idea where you get the 40K upfront payment. I know different and that is the place where Motability is a better solution, way better.

Of course its not better unless you like throwing away your money!

Old vehicle sold plus savings. I can afford to save a bit because I dont rent or buy anything on credit or waste millions on leased motobility cars every 5 years.

Last time I sold my PRISTINE polished 12k miles and 12 year old VW caravelle for 15K and I had saved some too. And so the same day I completed the transaction for my new 30K van, now on its way. You cannot do any of this if you get lumbered with a motobility contract and a van you dont own. And you also cant save if throwing money away the way you do on motobility leasing.

You CAN save above the 12k? and 6K benefits limit if you get permission from the council (easy) and benefits agency (harder) and show that its for a zero VAT rated disabled adapted vehicle and that this is your only way. You need a seperate account. And a letter from the council regarding care, and the benefits.

Dont know where I get the money? banghead
Its like those that rent. Cant see how they can buy a house. Because they are bankrupting themselves with rent! Well this is just the same. Only the rich can afford to rent a house or lease a van. And they will tell you that they do it because they cant afford to buy. Thats backasswords.

These are the reasons I now have no mortgage. And no van lease. All my money is my own. Make sensible choices and all this stuff is easy enough. But you need to start that way. And I never need to worry about payments, PIP changes removing motobility money as happened to many, or being thrown out by a landlord or paying rent etc. To my mind theres only 1 sensible way to live. And that means never borrowing, never leasing, never renting, have no direct debits etc. Save and pay for stuff (cheaper) only when you can afford it.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby F55 » 11 May 2021, 20:17

Burgerman wrote:Well it comes down to this. Its STILL cheaper to import a brand new one over 5 years than use motability. If you understood these minivan conversions you would also know why it cant be lowered.

It isn't cheaper. Yes I do understand them, a bit like tractors that handle similarly.

Burgerman wrote: Its never had a service. An oil change, twice that I did. Not that it needed it!

Technology on yours isn't a problem so old school oil changes and possibly keeping an eye on the slush box will suffice.

Burgerman wrote:And it is quite literally as still as new. Its cleaner and shinier even underneath than other peoples 3 month old vehicles.

They probably do more miles in a month than you do in a year.

Burgerman wrote:Even if you only keep it 5 years on motobility. Its only cost me 30K total, To get the same lowered floor minivan on motobility was 26K down, and 200 a month for 5 years. And then you gave it back. So even over 5 years its cheaper to just buy outright and then still own the thing after the 5 years is up as a bonus! The initial payment is almost the price of importing a brand new van alone!

At those figures yes.

Burgerman wrote:You pay to insure regardless. Every year... 277 last year. 267 this year.

You don't pay to insure a Motability vehicle so you don't pay regardless.

Burgerman wrote:I never had breakdown cover and when it NEEDS a service I will do it. For free. So far its only ever had oil changes. Actually thiking about it I have FREE breakdown cover with my bank account. Not that I need it. Brothers with a rope. And freinds that race cars. With trailers.

Your choice but not everybody's cup of tea.

Burgerman wrote:Because my 15 year old one has done 10k miles... I only need it when going out of town, as I go most local places by lithium powerchair.
Why? Because its 4 times cheaper.

Then it suits your needs to have a vehicle stationary more than being driven. There are people that like to get out and about and actually leave their neighbourhood.

Burgerman wrote:Or look at it this way. £220 per month extra for free to spend for the last 15 years. And its still cleaner and shinier inside and out than yours is. Even the original carpets have never seen a foot or a wheel. I get them covered in a cheap replacable carpet every 5 years. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7835 The inside is as new as the underneath... Its never seen a wet or winter road.

Wow, that's an assumption and a half. If you prefer to be like Steptoe again that's your choice.
F55

Postby Burgerman » 11 May 2021, 20:30

>>>It isn't cheaper.

YES it absolutely is. The VAN is cheaper as an import than the down payment alone! No £62 a month on top, for 5 years. And no you dont get free insurance with motobility either YOU ARE PAYING A PREMIUM for it. A huge one.

As for an assumption and a half, then yes its an assumption. But one that would probably be correct. I see brand new cars that are in worse condition underneath, dirtier engine bays, more swIrl marks etc. So unless you have a new car and a very good detailer I would probably be correct. However the point was to show you dont need worry about it being 15 years old. Its as good as new to look at. But its now old tech. I want a new one. But I want a GOOD van. These US vans are crappily made, terrible plastics etc compared to the european cars. At least the better ones. (have a look at the sandero!). They are cheap, do the job well but not a thing of beauty. Or quality.

Really I want a caravelle executive with every toy and extra. And want 20 inch rims, stainless disks, full stainless aftermarket exhaust. so they dont rust etc. Those can be lowered slightly. They are built really well. If you order the right model/options. So will be taking a good look and possibly doing this in 21 or 22. They (GM - the only company with a proper floor drop) are looking at doing an all electric version. I would prefer that and so waiting to see what happens too.

Once you get a new van, take it to your freindly mechanic, get him to remove every nut, bolt and screw - every brake pipe. Every union. Hand brake cables. GREASE everything. Takes 2 days to do it properly. Then fire oil over the whole underside, around brake piles and inside box sections, etc. It will drip for a week. Park it elsewhere not outside your house! But it will not corrode. Every bolt will come undone, as if it was new, decades later. Brake pipes painted with grease, and all the other lines will never corrode and will stay that gold colour as will bolts. And everything else.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Gibson » 07 Aug 2021, 14:55

I looked at getting a van on motability, and for the huge upfront fee they wanted (thousands!), then for me to pay to convert it (thousands)... I could buy a 2nd hand van for what they wanted (before taking my allowance each month).

Motability seems to favour those who don't need large converted vans and can get around in ordinary cars with little to no adaptions (= little to no upfront cost).

I saved up my motability and have bought 2nd hand vehicles that way. I'd love a new one without the worry of repairs (eg. motability), but for my needs, it's been cheaper to buy one outright.
Gibson

Postby Burgerman » 07 Aug 2021, 21:07

You can buy a brand new one for less than the down payment on a 5 year lease one on that motability scam.

As long as you import from usa or canada.

Mine was 30K delivered. Today they are more because of the worse exchange rate. But way cheaper than motability and you still own it as I do, 10 years after the mobility scheme is over...
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby ICEUK » 20 Oct 2021, 14:14

you can apply for a grant to get a wav through Motability, my van gets well used and is well worth £250 a month hassle free motoring!
ICEUK

Postby Burgerman » 20 Oct 2021, 16:56

And a couple of years later its all over. Start again. Re-applying to see if you can get a grant. And all of your 240 a month mobility allowance as well! I have kept that for the last 15 years.

Even if you can get a grant, you cant get the van you need though can you? Only from a certain list. And then reapply again in 3 to 5 years time.

Mine was 30k delivered (10k less than the mobility user advance payment) and the 60 pound a week you pay towards it Iget to keep. And keep for the last 15 years. So gained another £46,800 for saving for a new one or beer on top. AND I own the van still which is like new! So go on saving 60 a week every week.

So even with that grant, I cant afford MOTABILITY leasing. Or rathe I cant if I want to remain in the lifestyle I am accustomed to!

ANY of the proper lowered floor minivans require approx 40 to 45k advance payment. And grants - even if you re successful - dont cover these vans. Only ones I wouldnt want.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Return to Adapted Cars Vans MPV's