Hitch Carrier

Adapted Vehicles.

VEHICLE MENU: www.wheelchairdriver.com/accessible-vehicles.htm

Hitch Carrier

Postby slomobile » 30 Jul 2021, 23:00

whoa.jpg
Is the world leaning?
Would any of you trust this? Its a new Curt Class III receiver hitch and new 500lb rated "wheelchair carrier". https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Cargo-Ca ... 70260.html
I can bounce it off the ground with 1 hand. It has nearly the same angle empty. The carrier design hangs 100% of the weight on a single bolt.
Can someone recommend a good one of these? I'm considering attaching a beam to the roof rack to hold this thing up.
slomobile

Re: Hitch Carrier

Postby Burgerman » 30 Jul 2021, 23:21

No.

Thats NOT what a tow bar/hook is designed for. They are designed for vertical loads if up to around a few hundred lb. Not a bending load 4 feet away from it with a huge weight on it. Leverage is a very powerful thing. So even if you find a stronger carrier, the cars towing fixation itself and its welds inc the one were the tow bar hitch is bolted to that steel bar will likely fail or tear off the weld. Rather you than me. I know people do this and I dont think its safe. Have a think how much bending force is applied as you run over a huge drop or rise or pot hole. So rather you than me.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby slomobile » 31 Jul 2021, 00:46

Class 3 hitch is specified for a 500lb "Tongue weight" and assumes the rigid lever arm holding the ball is around 1 foot long, but doesn't declare a length limit or a derating factor. So makers of these carriers rate them for 500lbs too. Its a loophole in the language.
Trailers don't have that bending moment due to the trailer tires and ball coupler. I'm really surprised they are allowed to market these things as wheelchair carriers. Maybe enough $30k chairs haven't been flung about just het to get attention.
To be clear, I do think these things should remain available, people need them. We just need marketing that conveys accurate expectations. Lately it seems every product is designed to trick someone into buying it rather than designed to be actually useful.
slomobile

Postby Burgerman » 31 Jul 2021, 00:54

Realistically with the lever moment 150lb is definitely pushing your luck in damaging or weld failure of the tow bar. And sat that far behind the vehicle will make it too much for the surpension too. Its a daft idea. The tow ball prevents all bending forces. Its not designed for that. And 500lb is already way more than most trailers anyway. My dyno trailer with a 2/4rds ton drum and a load of metalwork, generators, computer gear cooing fans and tools had approx 50lb on the towball. That 500 figure must include bumps and inertial loads.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Return to Adapted Cars Vans MPV's