Raised roof on a Chrysler Grand Voyager?

Adapted Vehicles.

VEHICLE MENU: www.wheelchairdriver.com/accessible-vehicles.htm

Raised roof on a Chrysler Grand Voyager?

Postby jazzh1 » 03 Aug 2021, 20:34

Hi Guys,

Does anyone know if it’s possible to add a raised roof to Chrysler Grand Voyager.

Background: I have a problem with head height in my car. I have a Chrysler Grand Voyager 07, lowered floor conversion (Paravan). I’m a power chair user (iBisXP rear wheel. The chair is terrible but has a unique tilt in space mechanism that lowers my head height while keeping my position functional to drive.

But… now I need a new powerchair… and and the latest iBis doesn’t use the same tilt mechanism. All the new chairs I’m demoing have my head height too high.

So… Has anyone added a raised roof to a Chrysler Grand Voyager?

I can’t think of any other ideas.

See attached, a custom job, raised roof, on a V class… I was thinking something like this but on a voyager.
Attachments
4mwlco1wmca.jpg
jazzh1

Re: Raised roof on a Chrysler Grand Voyager?

Postby jazzh1 » 03 Aug 2021, 20:40

I forgot to say, any suggestions, ideas are very welcome and much appreciated...
jazzh1

Postby Burgerman » 03 Aug 2021, 21:05

Unless you are 7 feet tall any of the normal US built minivans should not need any kind of high roof conversion so I am a little confused.

I do know that the paravan conversions may not be fully lowered. And that they leave the B pillar in the way meaning you cannot properly line up with the steering wheel straight on.

So while anything is possible at silly cost, I am confused as to why you have this problem. Unless its because of the paravan conversion.

Theres also a 14 inch drop floor conversion which is really too much available on the chrysler by braun, rollx etc and instead of the usual 10/11 inch one.

Full us minivan floor, and plenty headroom for me and I am 5 foot 10. In all my chairs. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7835
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby jazzh1 » 04 Aug 2021, 16:51

Thanks Burgerman.

Some more detail, maybe this might help give a better insight.

I naively got a Paravan conversion with a ramp underfloor. This takes away from the ceiling height compared to a fold out ramp, I understand.

My Chrysler = Floor to ceiling in drivers position 55.1 inches
Me in chair (not tilted) = 55 inches
Me in tilted chair = 54 inches or less

I’m about 6ft tall. I can’t find a power chair that will sit me lower that 55 inches. The latest chair I tried was the Q300m mini. Attached is a pic of me in the Q300m in the passenger side of the car.

Tilting any chair I know of, except the iBis, doesn't lower head height.... they maintain your head height… and head height won’t really lower until you are so tilted that you are too far back to do much. See ibis chair example attached.

I really don’t want to get a new car as I’ll have to move my space drive system (steering mini + a brake/accelerator) .... I'm guessing it will be very expensive to move the space drive system to a new car…. BUT I really need a new chair… The iBis is terrible!
Attachments
car.jpg
jazzh1

Postby jazzh1 » 04 Aug 2021, 16:53

e.g. Tilt of iBis vs other tilt type
Attachments
Tilt.jpg
jazzh1

Postby jazzh1 » 04 Aug 2021, 16:54

Me in the passenger side of my car using the Q300m mini (demo chair)
Attachments
q300m.jpg
jazzh1

Postby Burgerman » 04 Aug 2021, 20:50

You should have imported a US van. But too late now. As for chair that will do what you want I cant think of any. There are some that sit you low all the time. But again as powerchairs they are useless.

The only real answer is a lower floor. At 6 foot you need that extra couple of inches. I tried a paravan and it was a struggle. Both B pillars and floor drop. And they charge telephone numbers.

My van is 57 or 58 inches at the drivers position. And passenger. Its an 11 inch drop. There are 14 and 15 inch drop ones from rollx and braun. VMI used to have the same door pillar issue. Not sure now.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby jazzh1 » 05 Aug 2021, 19:03

Thanks Burgerman.

I appreciate the feedback.
jazzh1

Postby Burgerman » 06 Aug 2021, 09:34

Or a tin opener. :)
Burgerman
Site Admin

Return to Adapted Cars Vans MPV's