Buying a LHD but putting Quad controls on RHD side?

Adapted Vehicles.

VEHICLE MENU: www.wheelchairdriver.com/accessible-vehicles.htm

Buying a LHD but putting Quad controls on RHD side?

Postby jazzh1 » 08 Aug 2021, 13:04

I was thinking of getting a US export. Specifically the Braunability Chrysler Pacifica (https://www.braunability.com/us/en/mobi ... ifica.html)

Ideally, I would like it RHD but Chrysler don’t do a RHD version. I have also heard getting LHD converted to RHD is not really financially feasible.

Assuming I just can’t manage driving LHD on UK roads… I was thinking would it be safe/legal/good idea to have ‘Spacedrive’ controls on the right side… and leaving the original wheel and pedals etc on the left side as standard.... I.E. just Spacedrive mini wheel & brake/accelerator on the right side just for me, a power chair user…

This option might also come in handy if the regular person wanted to drive the car... without moving the car seats etc...

I know not having the dashboard/speedometer etc is far from ideal.

Has anyone done this? ...or considered it...
jazzh1

Re: Buying a LHD but putting Quad controls on RHD side?

Postby Burgerman » 08 Aug 2021, 15:55

Approx 10 mins after first driving a left hand drive one, you will never worry about it again. I never even think about it. It feels just as natural and isnt something you ever really think about. I dont undestand why you would ever think about it being a disadvantage. It really exactly the same as driving your right hand drive car over in the eu. The thing that bothers you there is driving on the wrong side of the road. Not the steering wheel side!

To be honest its got a lot of advantages too. The biggest one being it is one hell of a lot cheaper!

Note. The floorpan is reversed, not just the dashboard, The door on the right wher the ramp is has the steering on the laft. And the opposite is also true. So attempting to reverse the left drive setup is not really practical or affordable. It just makes no sense.

Left drive, right side ramp.
Attachments
810_2237.JPG
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 08 Aug 2021, 15:56

Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby jazzh1 » 10 Aug 2021, 15:02

Thanks Burgerman!

Yeah, getting an import is probably the best option and just dealing with LHD. Just checking if anyone ever did what I was suggesting.

Thanks,
jazzh1

Postby Burgerman » 11 Aug 2021, 02:57

I dont understand what there is to deal with. I used to have customers that raced US cars at the drag strip. Big V8 tuned monsters. My business was building and configuring nitrous injection systems. Before being disabled. I drove at least as many left drive cars as right drive ones. Honestly I never noticed which were which. Theres nothing to deal with in any way***. I actually think left drive is more natural. But its not a thing I ever really notice. And neither will you. Maybe a novelty for a week while you get used to it being diferent. After that you will never notice.

***Barriers at toll bridges and mcdonalds drive throughs are built wrong and I tell them so. Its not my problem they forgot about left hand drive cars - they are perfectly legal on UK roads. Make them get out of their boxes.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Return to Adapted Cars Vans MPV's