Accessible step van? Bread truck, FedEx, Utility, etc.

Adapted Vehicles.

VEHICLE MENU: www.wheelchairdriver.com/accessible-vehicles.htm

Accessible step van? Bread truck, FedEx, Utility, etc.

Postby slomobile » 06 Jan 2022, 20:13

A step van, or cargo van is usually a medium duty vehicle. Front engine, rear wheel drive, rectangular, sheetmetal body construction on ladder frame, unified cab/cargo box, often used for package deliveries, mobile workshops, and mobile command centers. They usually have one or more full height pocket doors which can be left open while driving. In the case of a single door for the drivers area, it opens to the curb/passenger side. Interior steps to the drivers seat like a bus. Frequently without a passenger seat, or a fold down passenger jump seat. Shelves are often integrated into the rear side walls. A rear ramp is often integrated beneath the body, between the frame rails. The driver's area is either open to the cargo area or divided by a wall with full height door. Step vans are taller, longer, and slightly wider than passenger vans.

I'm looking for my first dedicated accessible vehicle instead of unnaturally forcing my chair into the back of an innocent SUV. Step Vans are pros, they expect that kind of rough treatment.

One of the few supplementary funding sources in the US for accessible vehicles is the department of vocational rehabilitation. They will help pay for a vehicle if it gets you back onto the job market. I've always wanted to have a step van workshop to support the local competitive robotics scene even before I was a wheelchair user. I had to give up my position working with the school district because I could no longer safely access the build areas that were often crammed into basements and mechanical rooms. With my own shop on wheels, I can reach several personal and professional goals currently out of reach. Used step vans are plenty as they retire from delivery service.

Does anyone here have any experience using or converting this type of vehicle? I'd like to find out which type has the widest ramp available and if it can be automatically deployed.
slomobile

Re: Accessible step van? Bread truck, FedEx, Utility, etc.

Postby Burgerman » 07 Jan 2022, 02:15

Most here are only able to use drive from wheelchair or similar. So no idea.

Mobile workshop? You can if old like me drive a 7.5 ton truck with 22 foot body and tail lift on a car licence. I used to hire one like this. More space? Very solid. Cheap used. Already has a large tail lift.
Attachments
catU.jpg
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby slomobile » 08 Jan 2022, 01:05

About the same space. The difference is that with a step van instead of a box truck I can go from the back of the truck to the front without exiting the vehicle. Something like this https://tommygate.com/liftgates/step-va ... eries-rtc/
or https://www.fedextrucksforsale.com/
slomobile

Postby slomobile » 22 Sep 2023, 11:49

Here is an example of what is possible with a former tool truck.
https://youtu.be/T9io8kfpiac
slomobile

Postby Burgerman » 22 Sep 2023, 14:15

Thats great. Its a long way short of space compared to the 7.5 ton truck above. But the huge advantage is that you can actually get into the driver space! :clap

But I dont think its for me. He is much more physically capable. But a cool conversion.

Doing all that work on a vehicle that has done so many miles though strikes me as a bad idea. Although in the US you dont seem to worry about miles. Over here most vehicles never reach 100k in their lifetime. And a 50k vehicle is considered quite high mileage.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Return to Adapted Cars Vans MPV's