Portable jump starter?

Adapted Vehicles.

VEHICLE MENU: www.wheelchairdriver.com/accessible-vehicles.htm

Portable jump starter?

Postby sacharlie » 18 Aug 2018, 22:39

sacharlie

Re: Portable jump starter?

Postby Burgerman » 18 Aug 2018, 22:53

They contain an unknown quality, c rate, sized hobby lipo. So possibly!

Hobby lipos can certainly start a car. They are available in very high C ratings. So that vid I posted here a few times now as an example is just a 11.2V 3S LiPo pack, that happens to be a used and tired 4Ah (4000mAh) pack. Turnigy pack.

So yes if they used decent LiPo pack.

You could be better just using your chair, as I have done many times. With a 12V or 24V setup, with 2 andersons, you can just plug in once in your van and turn the key. Not only will the chair sytart the van, but the van will top up the chair too. And its own. http://www.wheelchairdriver.com/gopro/starter.mp4 By chair... I have a connector under my dashboard so super easy.

That hobby pack (todays modern version) https://hobbyking.com/en_us/graphene-40 ... -xt90.html
But a 60C 130C peak version is just £3 more... 60x 4Ah means 280A or 600 peak. And much lower resistance than lead, so voltage sags less.
This is the old version below:

youtu.be/WkKRqaNPIBE
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby sacharlie » 19 Aug 2018, 00:29

Thanks!
I'm in a manual chair more often than a powerchair.
sacharlie

Postby Burgerman » 19 Aug 2018, 00:49

Then do as I did. You cant really fix the root cause because its a combination of things, not least that those computers in the boot and their rf recievers, suck up power. As does the vans own mass of electrics. Those vans eat batteries and have high self discharge or rather self drain. So do the next best thing, fit a 50 to 80 watt solar panel on roof (clear silicone sealer and a few weights till it sets) , and run the wires behind the door rubber and down to the spare wheel area. Easy and hidden. Use a cheap ebay charge controller, set it to 13.3V and connect to any place you can find battery voltage behind that right hand plastic panel. With the key out. Then its always kept full for all but the darkest months, over winter. And where you live maybe adequate all year round?

Because jump starting may well work, but your battery is half discharged most of the time anyway even if it starts. So it wont last long making the problem worse, fast... It spirals because your battery capacity gets less, and so it goes flat faster. And the more its flat the more damage is done.

Fit NEW battery. On roof fit a quality flexi solar panel as below. My Odyssey sits at 13.30V all day every day. Except during the darkest 8 weeks in winter... Theres just not enough output at that time to keep up. From October end, to march end I raise volts to 14.0 as theres few hours and many long dark nights and days. I add a float charger at 13.6v to it for those few really dark weeks. It needs more volts in really cold weather anyway.
And no those small solar panels you stick on the windscreen wont work...

Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby sacharlie » 19 Aug 2018, 01:31

Cool solar system. Problem solver for sure.
sacharlie

Postby Burgerman » 19 Aug 2018, 01:57

I had the minivan discharge problem for years. Decided to fix it instead of endless charging, dead batteries, etc. Ebay a 50 watt panel, or bigger, and I will give you a link to a cheap charge controller that works. Most are crap.

These are not cheap. But half the cost of a new odyssey... You can get cheaper panels. But these are good, flexi, waterproof, and sealed. And because of efficiency small for 50 watts. Also you need a charge controller which is the price of a round of drinks.

Do it, you will never think about it again and everything stays charged. https://www.amazon.co.uk/ALLPOWERS-Flex ... t+flexible
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby segreen » 09 Sep 2018, 10:10

My solution when my Dodge Entervan used to keep getting a flat battery was to swap the battery for an Odyssey PC1500 battery. Never had a flat since and still using the same battery ten-twelve years later.

Steve
segreen

Postby Burgerman » 09 Sep 2018, 11:03

Try parking it for 14 days. The drain from the computer andthe van itself adds up to about 10 days down to 80% discharged. And thats only just able to start the van if you are lucky. Fortunately the odyssey will, and is deep cycle capable. At 14 days, not a chance.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby segreen » 09 Sep 2018, 12:51

I must admit unless I'm bedridden, I'm in my van everyday and all weathers.
segreen

Return to Adapted Cars Vans MPV's