Anyone Got a BraunAbility XT Van?

Adapted Vehicles.

VEHICLE MENU: www.wheelchairdriver.com/accessible-vehicles.htm

Anyone Got a BraunAbility XT Van?

Postby segreen » 02 Sep 2018, 15:43

Just wanted to know if any of our American cousins has an XT conversion by BraunAbility and drives it from the wheelchair? If so shout out.

Steve
segreen

Re: Anyone Got a BraunAbility XT Van?

Postby motoman » 04 Sep 2018, 01:02

I don't but my buddy has one if you have a specific question...
motoman

Postby segreen » 04 Sep 2018, 09:03

Yes. Does he drive it from the wheelchair and if so how does he get close enough to the steering wheel with the extra high bulkhead down by the pedals? My feet stop me getting close enough and I'm looking for ways to overcome it?

Thanks.

Steve
segreen

Postby Burgerman » 04 Sep 2018, 15:59

Raise the floor a few inches so its the same height as your old van, my van etc. I did wonder about this when you ordered or bought a van with a lowere, lower floor. Also ground clearance or van height and even bigger wheel arch gaps? Seems a step too far to me.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby segreen » 05 Sep 2018, 09:59

Raise the floor a few inches so its the same height as your old van, my van etc.

Do you mean rise the whole floor or just the drivers side, John? I had thought about doing that or putting a lift on my chair but I just wanted to see what others have done before I start doing something. Had to try this new van because the standard 10-inch lowered floor is not enough for me. Bang my head every now and again when I get in and poor vision from the driving position because I'm too tall. An extra 4-inches doesn't seem a lot but it's thrown me out the other way now. Just got to find myself a solution. Must say though it's a beautiful van and a lot better finish and spec then the Dodge. At the moment it's just sitting on my drive waiting for me to do something.

Steve
segreen

Postby Burgerman » 05 Sep 2018, 10:21

Cant you get yourself shortened a bit?

I think you need a GOOD joiner. The part that need to be raised is going to need the tie down raising, first. Thats pretty simple. Longer bolts, two bits of box or oblong section steel. Then the ramp part would need making is 18mm marine ply, with a decent understructure strong enough not to flex, cut accurately to fit over the tie down + a carpet thickness. The edges next to the door also need to allow a carpet to fold around it and down to the ground to make it fit right and look right. It needs to be only where you drive, with a slope abot 9 inches long to the rear, starting exactly behing the rear wheels when you are in the correct position.

I suggest making a cardboard template and include the ramp end and sides too. First!!! Sit it on the tie down for now. Then once its exacty right, cut it out to fit OVER the tie down, leaving carpet room. This will locate it and keep it correctly positioned when finished.

Then remove, take to upholsterer or a good carpet fitter, and get them to match the existing carpet or floor covering, or use that rubber stuff with the dimples... Should look factory once done. Like it was designed that way. It may need a ramp to the side edge too, towards the passenger seat sise so that you cat turn and manoever in the van. Will be a fiddly job, and you will see the ramp part as you open the driver side centre door. So that edge must be carpeted and flush with existing floor edge. See for shape, download/file.php?id=8240&mode=view The ramp part would start directly behind the tiedown. And be about 10 inches long. And the same, 10 inches toward the side where the passenger seat is, directly after the tyre edge.

Failing that you will need to do the whole floor with a shallow ramp from the entry ramp into the van about 20 inches long.

Of course the simple solution would be a chair with lift, or a footplate that is electrically adjustable for angle AND length. Lift it and knees up a few inches to drive and or back behind the castors. This does all 3.
Attachments
810_2350.JPG
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby segreen » 05 Sep 2018, 17:24

Yeah thanks for that, John. I've thought about going down that road but I'm worried I won't be able to get the drivers seat in after the mods. Occasionally my son drops the van off at the Chrysler dealer for a service when I can't get a lift back. I've bought a couple of slim lift and tilt mechanisms that I'm intending on fitting to my V4's but I'm wondering how safe it would be to drive with my chair up three inches or so?

Steve
segreen

Postby Burgerman » 05 Sep 2018, 17:40

Well I am sure its not AS safe, but needs must!!!
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby motoman » 06 Sep 2018, 13:27

segreen wrote:Yes. Does he drive it from the wheelchair and if so how does he get close enough to the steering wheel with the extra high bulkhead down by the pedals? My feet stop me getting close enough and I'm looking for ways to overcome it?

Thanks.

Steve

Yes he does drive from his chair. He has a steering wheel extension of about 4" attached to it.
motoman

Postby Burgerman » 06 Sep 2018, 16:40

Not a good solution, as the rest of the buttons, dash. wipers, lights, door and mirror controls, as well as radio is all too far away.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby segreen » 06 Sep 2018, 19:04

I'll fix my lifts to my chairs first and assess it then. If needed I'll raise the driver's side floor an inch. Hopefully that'll do it. Let you know when I've done it.

Steve
segreen

Postby Burgerman » 07 Sep 2018, 00:36

Did you see Gataca? I just watched it.

They made his legs longer. By breaking them and stretching them over many months. Perhaps you could do the opposite?

Yes not very helpful I know. Been drinking cheers

You can get rubber mats full of holes and flat 25mm thick, used in stables etc. That would gain the inch. https://fieldguard.com/product-category ... able-mats/
Burgerman
Site Admin

Return to Adapted Cars Vans MPV's