Mobility in India - Maruti Versa with Wheelchair Access

Adapted Vehicles.

VEHICLE MENU: www.wheelchairdriver.com/accessible-vehicles.htm

Mobility in India - Maruti Versa with Wheelchair Access

Postby iamdrin » 19 Feb 2010, 12:10

Hi Burgerman...

I will be the greatest fan of you. I read all about you, your thoughts, your awesomely designed power wheelchair, your way of interpreting you view sort of free flow...& straight. Wowwwww Im your fan.

Im deepa from India. Being diagnosed with Spinal Muscular Atropy (SMA) I prone to be a heavy wheelchair user. I got my power wheelchair custom built in India (not even point percent of what you have designed) But few modifications I wanted apart from regular once.

I would really like to own the beauty & power wheelchair you have designed someday.

Attaching, the car I modified with ramps for commuting to work. Its a Indian car - Maruti VERSA
IMG_1011.jpg
Maruti Versa with Wheelchair Access
IMG_1011.jpg (60.83 KiB) Viewed 8741 times

IMG_1013.jpg
Maruti Versa with Wheelchair Access
IMG_1013.jpg (84.58 KiB) Viewed 8741 times

IMG_1057.jpg
Me getting top the hill ;)
IMG_1057.jpg (70.36 KiB) Viewed 8732 times
iamdrin

Re: Mobility in India

Postby Burgerman » 19 Feb 2010, 16:38

Just out of interest how much would one of those cars cost? And do you drive from a wheelchair?

Burgerman
Burgerman
Site Admin

Re: Mobility in India - Maruti Versa with Wheelchair Access

Postby Pete » 20 Feb 2010, 04:38

Hi iamdrin.
I too would like to know a bit more about your van.

Also

What make is your wheelchair? Is it totally custom-built or just a modified commercial chair.

I notice in the last photo you have some type of screen that seems to hinge from the back of the van. Is this just to give you some privacy when entering and exiting the van or does it have some other use?.
Pete

Postby iamdrin » 20 Feb 2010, 09:39

Hi Burgerman & Pete,

Coming to cost of my car, its 3.5 lac RS (INR). I dont drive... its the middle row of seat which I have removed from where i enter through my ramp. In India people are not very sensitive about different abled people, We dont have accessible public place... accessibility has been a biggest toll down in India. So I had hard time finding a guy to modify my car with ramp.

But then we are building our way through: Loads of NGO's, are voicing for different abled people rights for studies, work, health, etc

I saw in you post about Wagon R for with wheelchair accessible. it was amazing.. we have Wagon R cars available even in india, can we build the same accessibility in our models? Do you have any more information on that?

Pete,

The curtain like thingy is my house gate... (nothing related to my car). My power wheelchair is a regular once with few custom designed to my requirement.
150820072.jpg
My wheelchair.
150820072.jpg (238.48 KiB) Viewed 8695 times
iamdrin

Postby Burgerman » 20 Feb 2010, 10:44

The Wagon R has a completely modified floor pan. Ie its lowered, channeled, and fabricated from scratch. There are lots of one off body and internal parts. It wouldnt be practical to manufacture just 1 in india. Your best bet would be to import one. Or some other vehicle from another country. I bought mine from the US and saved almost half the purchase price even after shipping. Have a look at some US accessible vehicle sites. They dont have anything as small as the Suziki but they are cheap, especially used! They dont have much interest in used vehicles there!

EG one of many!

http://www.cummingsmobility.com/cum/Dev ... 4wodX21qjw
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Pete » 21 Feb 2010, 01:39

The curtain like thingy is my house gate... (nothing related to my car). My power wheelchair is a regular once with few custom designed to my requirement.

In having a second look I can now see that it is a gate. When I first looked at it the edge seemed to line up perfectly with the back of your van, that's why I thought it was somehow attached.

I had a wheelchair very similar (almost identical) to yours years ago, I think it was manufactured in New Zealand. I just can't think of the brand-name at the moment.
Pete

Postby iamdrin » 21 Feb 2010, 09:47

My powerchair was built in India (Chennai). The manufactures are called Callidai Motor Works and is the largest Indian manufacturer of Powered and custom design Wheelchairs.
As developing country India we hardly have few different abled people who opt for powerchair chairs, Callidai is doing a great offering with there ranges of wheelchairs with user custom design needs to their price tag. :)

http://www.callidai.com/home
iamdrin

Postby Burgerman » 21 Feb 2010, 10:50

Its good to see that they are trying. There are other powerchair manufacturers in india though. Some advertise on my pages.

I realise that cost may be a big issue in design in india but they really should give me a job there! I see about 1000 things in every photo that I could improve without more cost!

Mind you, that applies to all the western companies too, hence my own powerchairs :lol:
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Pete » 22 Feb 2010, 03:45

iamdrin wrote:My powerchair was built in India (Chennai). The manufactures are called Callidai Motor Works and is the largest Indian manufacturer of Powered and custom design Wheelchairs.
As developing country India we hardly have few different abled people who opt for powerchair chairs, Callidai is doing a great offering with there ranges of wheelchairs with user custom design needs to their price tag. :)

http://www.callidai.com/home

Callidai definitely have a large range of wheelchairs and other stuff to suit every possible situation. I was quite impressed with their "thinking outside the square" in design of chairs for different situations.
Pete

Postby Burgerman » 03 Mar 2010, 18:04

http://www.ostrichmobility.com

Another indian wheelchair manufacturer that advertises on my site. They have some interesting powerchairs for you to check out iamdrin!
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby aviral.parasramka » 12 Sep 2010, 07:17

Hi
I am Aviral from India. I am looking for a car/SUV/Van with ramp for wheelchair access , toilet and a big seat for rest. Can you please suggest me the available options in India or any car modifiers who may be able to do the same for me.
aviral.parasramka

Postby gac3rd » 08 May 2011, 05:52

Just stumbled across this. We are in San Diego, CA. My wife and I are both in chairs. My wife was born and raised in Ahmednagar. We met Ferdi Rodricks while in Mumbai about 6 years ago. Fantastic, very creative person who has helped hundreds of folks in chairs. If you are anywhere near Mumbai, you should meet him. Here is his website: http://www.handicappedpeople.com/
gac3rd

Return to Adapted Cars Vans MPV's