WAV electric ramps

Adapted Vehicles.

VEHICLE MENU: www.wheelchairdriver.com/accessible-vehicles.htm

WAV electric ramps

Postby Alton » 25 Sep 2019, 14:30

Hi,
looking to convert normal bi fold manual ramp to electric lift and drop - any diy experiences or "pro" conversion details please.
Thanks
Handicare Puma 40 Kangoo WAV
Alton

Re: WAV electric ramps

Postby greybeard » 25 Sep 2019, 16:23

As another Kangoo owner, I too will be interested in answers in this thread. I would also like to hear suggestions about automating the up and over tailgate door.
greybeard

Postby Raigedas » 15 May 2020, 09:44

i am also thinking about DIY power ramp. my motivations: 1. i want side entry. 2. i do not have money and/or choise to buy already adapted WAV or pay huge amount for the conversion.
my ideas:
* buy a simple mechanical ramp (100-200eur) and attach it to the floor with hinges. there are foldable by half ones like in Braunability conversions, but the folding is adds additional complexity which i plan to avoid - i will just use stright full length ramp. the length will be same as door entrance height (>130cm) and that should be enough for a wan with air suspension which is able to lower to ground).
* buy a cheep servo from ebay. i can see there are 380kg*cm one for 40USD. this servo is quite powerful but still not powerful enough to raise the ramp (it needs to be ~7 times more powerful to raise 13kg ramp) if attached directly. i still need some additional gearbox or something. maybe a cable on a spool would work. still working on that.
Raigedas

Postby Raigedas » 15 May 2020, 09:46

@greybeard : tailgate case is relatively simple - i have a linear actuator attached to the tailgate.
Raigedas

Postby Burgerman » 15 May 2020, 10:05

If you do that to any of the minivans, and some full sized vans, or the Kangoo you have a huge problem. They have a 10 inch or greater floor drop. To give headroom, and to allow you to fit under the steering wheel etc. Its not just a ramp bolted to a van. Not to mention it would need to be enormously long as theres no 10 inch drop, and theres no lowering suspension.

This fiat is easier to just bolt on a ramp than a Kangoo. And even here with no lowered floor internally, the ramp is far too steep, and far too long. And it requires a substantial roof height modification. Again around 10 inches taller. Then you need a helper as the ramp is dangerously long and steep without.

Anything is possible. But some things are not very reliable, or practical.

Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Raigedas » 15 May 2020, 11:05

@Burgerman : i fully agree with you that safety and reliability are maybe the most important criteria for a WAV. especialy if we are talking about disabled person person driving the WAV himself and alone.

i do not know anything about Kangoo, but let me elaborate about my case. the car i mentioned and i am intending to buy (Chrysler Town and Country) has air suspension and is able to get quite low to the ground. the car is actually a WAV, but it was adapted for manual wheelchairs. we tried to lift me with my electric wheelchair but the existing elevator was not able move me at all. i just saw maximum possible straight ramp length, the floor height from ground (unfortunately i did not measure it) and though that it may be doable without too much engineering.
Attachments
IMG_20200514_161822_25.jpg
Raigedas

Postby Burgerman » 15 May 2020, 12:03

So already has a lowered floor. You could just buy the correct motorised ramp from the likes of braun or rollx?

Designed for the job.

Mine... http://www.wheelchairdriver.com/gopro/ramp.mp4
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Raigedas » 15 May 2020, 12:57

i agree with you again - best way forward would be to buy an existing power ramp instead of reinventing the wheel. my problem is that i can not find to buy any used one. here in my country (Lithuania) we have used "full size" huge Ricon elevators intended to be mounted at the rear of the car and they are affordable - from as low as 100eur to 300eur of a very good condition. but i have never seen those Brownability-like power ramps to buy here (even though i have various advertisement subscriptions in that area for years). and i am having hard time finding that even in general in google. i can see ads of cars with such ramps, but not those used ramps only. maybe i don't know how to search. do you have any suggestions? would be very grateful.
Raigedas

Postby Burgerman » 15 May 2020, 22:30

You wont find them used. They are made by companies that also modify the vehicles such as braunmobility or Rollx. They will supply parts, if your ramp wears out. The old vehicles dont have them "removed" as they are no good without them. They are matched to the lowered floors and wiring loom etc. https://www.rollxvans.com/ is where mine came from. They will supply parts.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Raigedas » 16 May 2020, 10:01

And of course no company will sell and install this ramp for 500eur or even for 1000eur for me in Lithuania :(
so in my case it makes sense to think about DIY...
Raigedas

Postby Burgerman » 16 May 2020, 10:26

They will SELL you the parts. And ship them. You get any local bodyshop or decent mechanic to retro fit them. If theres no-one capable in your country which I frankly doubt, you are screwed. But I am sure there are many companies that will do this for you. Quick search, first one https://agrija.lt/en/auto-body-repair-and-painting/

Doing this as DIY will be very hard if its to be any good/reliable.
If you plan to do DIY regardless, try and buy a used Ricon Clearway Lift. At least that will be simple to fit and reliable.

Or a ricon folding lift. Less sutable, but also easy bolt on fit!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAOLfuLu1J4

https://www.riconcorp.com/products_pers ... bility.asp look at these. Then search eBay.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby flagman1776 » 12 Jul 2020, 21:50

In my area of the USA, I'm just not finding affordable used WAVs. There are retirement areas where used WAVs are plentiful. I'm somewhat stifled by all the lock downs right now.
As I get it, all the better wheelchair conversions do heavy cutting, removing a large portion of the floor. Either side to side, between the rear doors for side entry or to the rear for rear entry. The removed sections are replaced with engineered pieces with spaces built in to store the new ramp or what ever else is needed. The "kneeling" suspension feature is added at the same time.
One could, have a late model used van converted but the conversion cost would be the same as converting a new vehicle...

I think my best option is to "import" a complete used vehicle in good condition.
no longer able to use my TravelScoots
flagman1776

Postby Burgerman » 12 Jul 2020, 22:44

Correct.

You dont need to import though You live where they are made.

I imported mine. Across the atlantic from where you live.

NEW
https://www.rollxvans.com/wheelchair-va ... price=all#

USED
https://www.rollxvans.com/wheelchair-va ... &price=all

In the US a USED van is usually about as many miles as the ones we scrap. So USED = KNACKERED as far as I am concerned. The prices you guys pay for vans with telephone number miles on them are rediculous.

Here average milieage is usually around 10k per year. So a 5 year old average vehicle has 50k miles. But its easy to find ones with half that. And the price of used wheelchair vans here is way cheap! New ones are expensive.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby flagman1776 » 13 Jul 2020, 03:09

I meant "importing" from a distant retirement state. The USA is a huge place. It will cost $1000 to ship.
no longer able to use my TravelScoots
flagman1776

Postby Burgerman » 13 Jul 2020, 07:53

Cost me half that from the US to the UK! Inc ins cover. Actually from canada.

But your US used options are too expensive. You pay half the cost of a brand new van for what amounts to a old knackered cast off thats been 4x round the world.. Not really viable if you ask me. I would save some and buy new with a decent discount. Unless you can find a good as new low mileage van cheap.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 13 Jul 2020, 19:30

Heres mine. It was bought in 2006, and first driven in jan 2007. Thats a 13 year old van.

Its paint is like glass. Unblemished, probably better than brand new. About 100 coats of wax! Every last mm in every corner or edge. No marks, inside or out. The ramps clean. Looks like it was never used. The tyres are £1200 worth of low profile 109 inch pirelli P6 runflats. On split rim 9 inch wide alloys. Because I cant change a wheel. And theres a fifth one with tyre. There a factory sat nav, 3.8 litre motor, cruise control, etc and even the carpets are as new. I fitted an extra fitted carpet on top to protect. If compared to a brand new one it embarasses it, makes it look old and dirty. Inside and out.

Its done 11k miles... Never saw a winter road. Still smells new inside. Engine bay is polished. Again better than new. How much do you think it would sell for? Here, in the UK, maybe 5 to 10K if you can find a buyer as they are scared of Left hand drive... God knows why. I cant say I noticed after the first 10 mins.

Paid 30K delivered with hand controls and electronic tie down. That half price here. From canada.

Ramp. http://www.wheelchairdriver.com/gopro/ramp.mp4 movie.
Drive from wheelchair. http://www.wheelchairdriver.com/gopro/town.mp4 this might need downloading to desktop first...

Rained on, but waxed and shiny right now, my security cam.
Attachments
Image1.jpg
Burgerman
Site Admin

Return to Adapted Cars Vans MPV's