How to bypass wheelchair lift interlock?

Adapted Vehicles.

VEHICLE MENU: www.wheelchairdriver.com/accessible-vehicles.htm

How to bypass wheelchair lift interlock?

Postby Ayesha » 05 Feb 2020, 18:38

Hi, I am hoping someone can tell me/direct me to instructions on how to bypass a Intermotive brand interlock on a wheelchair lift van.

Long story, I bought a lightly used van last year from a dealer who turned out to be shady. He sold me a bad lift, but the one good thing he did was not install an interlock so I don’t have to have the emergency brake on (which I literally never use) while operating the lift. Unfortunately, due to said lift being a lemon, I have to have it replaced and the new dealer is insisting on installing an interlock. How do I bypass this piece of big brother-esque garbage?

I’m not a mechanic so I’ll probably have to find someone to do it, but if I have instructions it would be much easier. Thanks for any information!
Ayesha

Re: How to bypass wheelchair lift interlock?

Postby Burgerman » 05 Feb 2020, 18:45

Look at wherever the switch is, on the brake. And there will be 2 wires from a switch like a microswitch. Either disconnect both, or link both together, to make the lift think the brake is on. It could be either way around. Or take it to any autoelectrician, shouldnt take more than 5 mins.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Re: How to bypass wheelchair lift interlock?

Postby flagman1776 » 09 Feb 2020, 03:37

There's usually an idiot light on the E-brake. It might be a switch with 2 wires or a switch with one wire & the other side grounded. It depends on the make of the base vehicle. Find the brake, you'll probably find the wire. You will probably find a tapped wire or splice. My guess would be it needs to be grounded.
no longer able to use my TravelScoots
flagman1776

Return to Adapted Cars Vans MPV's