Thank you for helping me understand

You dont have to, but its interesting!

MAIN WEBSITE: www.wheelchairdriver.com

Thank you for helping me understand

Postby owenminor » 02 Mar 2021, 02:28

I built a modified chair that sort of worked, for a 10yo. Then I trashed it for parts when the speed controller died. Time to iterate.
The frontpage of wheelchairdriver.com was invaluable for me select a 2nd version of a used chair and upgrade it using what was in front of me.

Learnings: I understand about FWD, MWD and RWD now. Experienced it and wouldn't curse anyone with FWD or MWD. Transferring is a priority in our design. Both armrests and footrest. Modified a MWD footplate and built a mount to a RWD, taking into account @burgerman advice for caster placement and foot placement. Used a bariatric seat base from Jazzy and cut it smaller to give comfortable, easy to move armrests with a great hand position, combined with a sport seat that makes it very difficult to slide off not desired. The person for this has good core strength and needs to be encouraged to use it, even though his legs don't.

End result: You're decision to share this info, made a kid's year. I got v2 done for his birthday, today and it's an amazing fit. Thank you for helping me remember to think of design from the driver's perspective. Not my "you'd better be grateful".

The picture is just as he got it. I was able to adjust the footrest up, joystick up and back and the backrest forward.

Can I do more: yep. But thank you. Really.
Attachments
v2.jpg
owenminor

Re: Thank you for helping me understand

Postby Burgerman » 02 Mar 2021, 15:32

Getting there!

Looks like seat is too deep at the moment. And controller 2 inches too far outboard. And at least an inch low.

Now you need black front caster tyres. Next you need an r-net control system so you can properly program it so it steers. Long term project.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby martin007 » 11 Mar 2021, 23:50

I think the seat is too bulky.
martin007

Postby owenminor » 12 Mar 2021, 03:24

martin007 wrote:I think the seat is too bulky.

It's remarkably light. Perimeter steel tube construction inside. Lighter than the seat assembly it replaced. It's not for everyone, that's for sure. It's not a fulltime chair. But to enable a family with 2 other kids to go back to getting out and exploring trails.
owenminor

Postby Burgerman » 12 Mar 2021, 12:41

Its for outdoors so doesent much matter if its bulky.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Return to Introduce Yourself!