Hello Everyone

You dont have to, but its interesting!

MAIN WEBSITE: www.wheelchairdriver.com

Hello Everyone

Postby henox » 24 May 2021, 19:50

Hi Everyone!

First, thanks Burgerman for making this very useful resource!

I use power chairs after a spinal injury nearly 30 years ago and I’ve always tinkered with my chairs. It’s mostly physical changes like custom side rests, headrests etc. I generally find the standard parts to be too bulky. That’s partly because they need them to be adjustable to most users but of course I only need it to fit me.

I do a lot of 3D printing for work and have made some wheelchair parts that way. Have also used aluminium and carbon fibre.

I mostly use Permobil chairs, from the Max 90, through to the Entra, C300, C400 and an F3. I drive with a sip&puff controller, which I don’t think is very common but it works really well for me. I usually buy a used chair on Ebay and either modify it to my needs or use it for parts. My favourite chair for indoor use is still the old Entra, as it’s quite small and nimble. Also using the F3 wich is much smoother outside.

I’ve stuck with Pilot+ chairs for a long time as I like they way the sip&puff tech works on there and I have the P&G programmer for it. Now it’s time I get an Rnet programmer and software though so I can tweak the F3 parameters as well.

I'm in Oxford, UK.
henox

Re: Hello Everyone

Postby Burgerman » 25 May 2021, 08:39

Unfortunately you will struggle. Permobil are super keen on making their own stability, gyro, seating and lighting components. And even permobil versions of joysticks and switch boxes. A normal powerchair generic or sunrise etc software at the required OEM level can sometimes change a few parameters. But certainly not any of the permobil stuff as it uses permobil specific software. And sometimes wont allow any changes to be uploaded. Depending on firmware and components on the chair. And they pretend OEM level access doesent exsist. Their own techs dont even have access to it! So no hope of getting rid of walls/ increasing turn acceleration/deceleration speeds or fine tuning motor compensation, etc etc at all.

So while most people with any brand of normal r-net chair using generic r-net parts can ust get a dealer dongle (and still get OEM capability with a workaround) or get an OEM dongle and use it easily you canot do this with permobil. So while you may be able to change some basic settings thats probably where it ends. This is one of the reasons I wouldnt ever buy a permobil as full oem access is priority 1 when choosing any powerchair. And not being tied to their apron strings and frankly useless techs, non of which have OEM access anyway is the no 2 reason.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby henox » 25 May 2021, 09:05

Well, it wouldn’t be fun if it wasn’t a challenge :)

For my usecase I don’t need to make any changes to gyro, seating, light settings, motor compensation, just tweak the speed and acceleration settings. I’ve had a few iterations of that on the F3 with the permobil tech but of course I’d rather not call him out every time I need to tweak something.

What’s the difference between the OEM dongle and the Dealer one on the hardware level? I’m guessing the permobil tech has an OEM one? And I’m guessing that’s more difficult to get hold of?

And what’s your experience with changing parameters using the ‘wrong’ brand dongle or software version. Is it the case that you can only access some parameters but as long as you can see them you can change them safely, or is there a risk of bricking your control box if you use the wrong dongle/software?

Thanks!
henox

Postby rover220 » 25 May 2021, 09:27

You'll be fine with dealer permobil software for what you want.
rover220

Postby Burgerman » 25 May 2021, 11:16

What’s the difference between the OEM dongle and the Dealer one on the hardware level? I’m guessing the permobil tech has an OEM one? And I’m guessing that’s more difficult to get hold of?

The dealer one. And thats the one your tech has. Only allows basic user type adjustments. It will not allow advanced adjustments.

The OEM one for e.g. would allow you to choose to remove any walls that the permobil company has set up to prevent you from setting say, turn acceleration or turn deceleration up to max (100). I personally think thats essential. It allows you to drive the chair without any in built delays to the joystick inputs It turns the controls into a direct control. A fully proportional one like a car or a pencil or a PC mouse. On a front wheel drive chair thats not really possible anyway as it doesent like gyros... Makes them over control. Or too sensitive. So you might be fine with dealer software. But it wouldnt suit me one bit! Depends how much linear direct control matters to you. It also wont allow 101 other settings to be changed.

You have no choice anyway. Even permobil feild tech cant get OEM version for the permobil chairs.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby henox » 25 May 2021, 20:15

rover220 wrote:You'll be fine with dealer permobil software for what you want.

Burgerman wrote:The dealer one. And thats the one your tech has. Only allows basic user type adjustments. It will not allow advanced adjustments.

Cool, thanks for explaining guys. So I’ll look out for a dealer dongle and permobil dealer software. I think I’ll be fine within the walls they’ve got, just need the freedom to tweak so I can get the right combinations of settings.
Things work a bit different with sip&puff. I should maybe take some time to write up my experience with it.
henox

Return to Introduce Yourself!