Hello World !

You dont have to, but its interesting!

MAIN WEBSITE: www.wheelchairdriver.com

Hello World !

Postby Clumsy Fairy » 16 Jul 2022, 19:42

Hey good people !!!!

I am way more excited than I should be to find this little group.

I spent days trying to find how I can get full access to the backend of my chair. I’ve emailed the company who I bought it from(or rather my parents bought it from, kinda embarrassing being in my late 40s, and having my parents bail me out, but things have been a little rough of late). The company just doesn’t return my messages.

I’ve mailed Quantum Rehab, and they tell me that I have to talk to a dealer..

I’ve been hunting down as many service manuals as I can, but I can’t find how the hell I can register without having bought it from a dealer. It’s REALLY doing my head in..

The reason I am excited about this place isn’t just that I am wanting help, but because I am an avid tinkerer, maker, fixer, and hacker, and I have been looking for a group / place to belong for a long time.

I was a Sys/Netadmin for most of my early life, I built an ISP from scratch in the late 90s, and ran it for 15 years before packing that in, to run a pub in Slovakia. I had a bike accident 10+ years ago, and I haven’t been able to work since, but I still love tinkering and making things. I’ve just started to learn C, it was going quite well until the health took another turn, and I spent some time in hospital, but I’m back, and ready to start again.

I’ve had some fun messing about with my mobility scooter, and I am just saving up for a decent battery pack for it, once I get that installed, I’m pretty sure my scooter will do 40+mph. I built a 3kw electric recumbent trike a while back, but I had to sell it as I didn’t have the room for it anymore.

I do have a project I am working on at the moment that I get the feeling this site might be interested in. It’s not about mobility, more a way to save peoples lives who live on their own.

The idea is that a system made as cheap as possible, and driven by need, not profit (which is actually one of the hardest parts of this project) At the moment I think the full system cost will be under £80.

The idea is that if someone collapses, or becomes unresponsive at home, it will automatically call an ambulance, and then physically open their front door, sound an alarm, and a flashing light, and then when emergency services are there, there will be a full medical history for them.

One last thing. I’ve got quite a bit of experience running and configuring the Invision forum backend. It’s a great bit forum server, and if the admin / group is interested, I’d be more than happy to upgrade the forum. I’m not interested in any admin or moderator duties or anything like that, but I just thought I’d put it out there.

Oh, the chair I have is a 4front 2 with the q-logic-3 controller. I REALLY want to get full access to it.

I have started work on the mods I want to put on it. I kinda want to interface with Arduino if I can so I can automate some things. I’d quite like to be able to store, and recall seat positions, and the like.

I’m trying to kit it out with some decent luggage, pockets, and the like, and for the giggles, I want to install my ham radio on it… My hope is that I can get about and go exploring. I haven’t left Leominster (where I live) in the last 5 years other than in an ambulance, so I am kinda excited to go and see the world a bit.

Well, that’s me.. I am super looking forward to be part of this place. I love some of the projects I have seen on here, and it would be so exciting to put together an off road chair with some serious speed on it. I’d LOVE to scrap the scooter (I still use that to go off-roading with the dog) I think it’s a f&$%ing sin that they cost as much as they do.

Oh, one other thing. I am hoping that my little business idea takes off because I so want a lathe and milling machine so I can actually make some parts for projects..

So that’s me… I am really pleased to have found you all, and I look forward to learning and sharing..

Alex.
Clumsy Fairy

Re: Hello World !

Postby steves1977uk » 16 Jul 2022, 20:29

Welcome aboard Alex! :wave:

You've come to the right place since quite a few members do mods to powerchairs and most other stuff too! :) You have quite a set of skills! :thumbup:

The earlier Q-Logic systems are easier to get OEM programming access, the later Q-Logic 3 is very much locked down by Quantum's custom firmware. So very hard to get programming access. :thumbdown: The best control system is R-net as it's more user friendly and easier to program. Please join in the Everything Powerchair section of this forum and mingle in. :thumbup:

Steve
steves1977uk

Re: Hello World !

Postby martin007 » 17 Jul 2022, 18:40

Welcome Clumsy Fairy!
martin007

Return to Introduce Yourself!