Hello!

You dont have to, but its interesting!

MAIN WEBSITE: www.wheelchairdriver.com

Hello!

Postby clairc » 04 Dec 2015, 17:53

Hello!

I'm Clair, I live in Worksop with my hubby and three kids. I've been ill since I was a teenager but only recently got diagnosed with Ehlers Danlos Syndrome.

I've been using mobility scooters for the past thirteen years but recently I've found it harder to drive them for any length of time because holding the wig wag controls causes pain in my hand and arm. I have a little Pride Go Chair which fits in the car and is fun in the supermarket but it's useless for anything else. I'm in the process of applying for a disability support dog so I'm hoping to pick your brains about decent but not too expensive powerchairs that are capable of going outdoors.

Look forward to getting to know you all :)

Clair
clairc

Re: Hello!

Postby catatude » 24 Dec 2015, 14:31

if its manly dog walking and kids to park I would go for a decent size boot scooter and boot hoist to life it. this way you have something stable and fast to run the dogs that does grass areas but compact enough to skip around the mall.

my pride gogo elite scooter has a 8 mile batter comfy enough seat if you can support your upper body ok. only thing I would say is look at 4 wheel version the 3 tip easily.

you can get a decent scooter from about £600. and if you have a motability vehicle the will help with the hoist cost for either chairs or scooters.
catatude

Postby catatude » 24 Dec 2015, 15:52

sorry clair didnt read our post properly. about problem with the wig wag scooter control.

I had this one from llyods pharmacy was only about £700 when I got mine.

http://www.betterlifehealthcare.com/vie ... hair/7619/
catatude

Postby ajk1248 » 02 Jan 2016, 18:58

Hello I am a Newbie also. Sorry to hear you are having some trouble. This seems like a very good website. So hopefully we both find our answers to what we need. I am looking for first power chair. I have a week to find as much information as I can before I make a decision. I have been in a manual wheel chair for two an half years. My arms are about to fall off. The people around me finally talked me into to one. What was I thinking? Well look forward to seeing you around. Take care.
April
ajk1248

Postby Burgerman » 02 Jan 2016, 20:06

What was I thinking?

That's a very interesting question.

Its a bit like religion. Sooner or later people see it for what it is and then realise they must have been crazy. But it takes time to overcome the conditioning. Its the same thing. Its mental brainwashing that has been instilled into you. It overrides any kind of rationality or logic. But some eventually do advance enough to see the light...

See an old page here.

http://www.wheelchairdriver.com/power-o ... lchair.htm
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby ajk1248 » 03 Jan 2016, 02:09

Thank you for sharing that site with me. It is so true that we are brain washed. I taught that way all along. Even now I am fighting with inside myself that I should just get another manual. I have a spinal cord injury from surgery. I was parallelized from the waist down but have gotten the use of my left leg back. I still have no use of my right leg. So you can see why I fight with myself about this issue. I feel unworthy. But I can see so much more freedom with a power wheelchair. I could see myself when I was reading the article. The way I look at things in my life. I am so thankful for you opening my eyes a little.
I do have a question for you. What brand would you say would be best to go with? I would greatly appreciate it. I live in the USA.
April
April
ajk1248

Postby Burgerman » 03 Jan 2016, 10:49

Ah. Well there is the problem. MOST powerchairs are really terrible. A few are only terrible.

Its partly why this site exists. Many here are making changes to such things as programming. All powerchairs are very hard to control or steer as they come for reasons best known only to the manufactures. Easily fixed by reprogramming which can transform them. If you can get hold of a programmer which can be very difficult.

Most are over bulky, have wider footplates and arms than needed, are too long... You are going to need to look around.

Also look for speed, range, controller power, battery capacity. Bigger is better here if it doesn't make the chair bigger than you can use indoors.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby clairc » 17 Jan 2016, 13:06

I have similar brainwashing problems because I'm not 'confined' to a wheelchair. Because I can walk a few yards with crutches I don't need a wheelchair because physio will cure me of my incurable genetic condition which causes dislocations, muscle spasms and chronic pain. It won't. Walking causes injuries and more pain until I end up bedbound so I'm stuck in limbo. Too disabled to be independent but not disabled enough to qualify for powerchair.

20 years ago after being housebound for 6 months they begrudging gave me a manual chair. One of the self propel red ones with a grey canvas seat and back, you know the kind I mean. It didn't matter that I didn't have the upper body strength to propel it myself because someone else could push me. It wasn't necessary for me to leave the house independently. My needs had been met with the cheap, basic wheelchair. End of story.

13 years ago I got myself a mobility scooter. It cost a small fortune but for the first time in years I could leave the house on my own. It was great but it had it's limitations, such as having to do a 15 point turn to change direction, which is painful and frustrating when you have neck issues and can't look over your shoulder without triggering debilitating spasms. Now I'm having issues with my muscles not relaxing properly so I can't maintain a grip on a scooter's wigwag controller for any length of time without suffering pain. I asked wheelchair services about an assessment for a powerchair. I was told there was at least a 6 month waiting list and I probably wouldn'tqualify because I can walk indoors with crutches.

It's frustrating that everyone assumes you get everything for free if you're disabled and I'm scrimping and saving every penny so I can afford something that will let me leave the house on my own and catch a bus for the first time in 20 odd years. I'm luck that I can still mobilise on my own but I hate that it counts against me.

Sorry for ranting, it seems like the system is screwed for all of us.
clairc

Postby Burgerman » 17 Jan 2016, 15:45

I asked wheelchair services about an assessment for a powerchair. I was told there was at least a 6 month waiting list and I probably wouldn'tqualify because I can walk indoors with crutches.

Get on the list. If they say you don't qualify, get a letter from your doctor, or get an independent assessment. If you need one you will get one after an argument. That's how it works.

Re:
my incurable genetic condition which causes dislocations, muscle spasms and chronic pain. It won't. Walking causes injuries and more pain until I end up bedbound so I'm stuck in limbo.

If that's true you doctor will recommend a powerchair.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5615
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby alexstrem » 13 Dec 2021, 19:31

For those who don't know, Ehlers-Danlos syndrome (EDS) is a disease that weakens your body's connective tissues. These are things like tendons and ligaments that hold parts of your body together. EDS can make your joints lose and your skin thin and easily bruised. It also can weaken blood vessels and organs. I have a friend who was diagnosed not so long ago. But she doesn't have an advanced stage.
alexstrem

Postby Burgerman » 14 Dec 2021, 00:59

Another commercial link removed...
Burgerman
Site Admin

Return to Introduce Yourself!