Greetings from another newbie

You dont have to, but its interesting!

MAIN WEBSITE: www.wheelchairdriver.com

Greetings from another newbie

Postby Sherlock_holmes » 05 Feb 2020, 19:38

Hi to everyone. My name is Dave i am 59 and i am based in the south of the uk.
Main hobbies are PC programming walking the dogs, looking after our grandson and hopefully programming my s drive on TGA and solo on Mini crosser.
cheers
Sherlock_holmes

Re: Greetings from another newbie

Postby Burgerman » 06 Feb 2020, 00:18

Welcome! I am 59 too... banghead
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby LROBBINS » 06 Feb 2020, 09:17

Babies.
LROBBINS

Postby greybeard » 06 Feb 2020, 10:10

Hush, baby. :D
greybeard

Postby Burgerman » 06 Feb 2020, 12:13

My mum was dead by 67. My dad, 73. Average = 70.

So I am 60 in a couple of weeks. So I realistically have 10 years left.

Except that I am fatter, and paralised from the chest down for 22 years, with numerous other problems. So highly unlikely to live as long...

I went to an insurance company that wanted to know my likely termination point statistically. It asked me how long ago my injury was. And at what age. It then used existing paraplegic mortality data to calculate my expected termination date. It tells you how long you are expected to survive post injury. I was told that I would be expected to live approx 19 to 20 years post injury. Well that was 3 years ago. I am already dead. And that did not include the body weight or any of my other health issues. So not too promising! :shock:
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Irving » 06 Feb 2020, 19:43

Mine is predicted as 78, which would be older than my parents (m62, d77) and her parents (both<75) but not as good as his parents (m83,d86) or his brother (90). I reckon I'll have just about run out of money by then anyway...
C5/6 A (complete)
Puma 40, 75Ah LiFePO4 (pic is on tour @ Whistler, BC)
Puma 40 backup, 73Ah MK (for now)
Spectra Plus (weedy 40Ah MK)
Irving

Postby Burgerman » 06 Feb 2020, 21:19

Irving. Correct my logic.
UK gov wants to dump all petrol and deisel cars. And all gas powered everything, including central heating. With gas boilers, fossil cars (and busses, trucks, boats like container ships etc) in the next 2 decades. Buses in 4 years...

So my figures all fro gov own websites.

Average houshold kwh electrical use 12kwh.
Average houshold gas in kwh for heating 76. (non in summer and 2x 76 in winter)
Average EV power needed daily? Unknown. But a small EV has 70kwh battery. Some teslas have 90, to 200. The new sportster has 300. The tesla truck estimated 350. Lets say we need a 50kwh top up per day.
Average houshold has 1.6 cars. Not including business vehicles, vans or trucks.

Right now we struggle to provide adequate electrical power power in the UK, after shutting down many of the cheap coal stations. As I looked the other day at 8pm in the evening, on a live site, where theres was little wind, 61% of our energy was from natural gas (turbine). 6% from coal (still being shut down!) 11% from nuclear with some being shut down soon. With just 3% from wind. 0% from solar since it is winter and dark. Around 12% from undersea cables, from ireland, belgium, france and holland. Some negligible other sources add up for the difference such as water and biofuel. (wood from the USA!)

So... We are about to dump gas. And coal. So that night we would be short of 61 and 6% (67%) of our energy...

And now instead of 12kwh average electricity needs at every house across the UK. We need:
12kwh+
76 + 76kwh (twice because its not used in summer!)+
Whatever electric cars need? Say 50kw x 1.6 for number of cars per household. So 80kwh

76+76 heat,+80 car(s)+ original 12kwh of today = 244kwh

Even if ALL of my esimates are wrong by DOUBLE too high, and they are not then thats 122kwh per house! Thats a TEN FOLD increase in power requirements from the already incapable grid. The grid cant cope now. And thats WITH gas and still some coal. So tell me how is that going to work?

And remember that this includes container ships, trucks, business vehicles, industry, farming, and busses and coaches, ferries, etc that isnt even added in!

Not only are these polititions and greenies not realistic, but its simply not possible regardless of cost.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby steves1977uk » 14 Feb 2020, 14:31

Try telling that to Greta Thunberg BM! banghead Every sane person knows this isn't possible, but our daft MPs and Greenies can't see it. Well they'll have some explaining to do when there's regular power cuts. banghead It's simply an ill thought out plan which will never work.

Steve
steves1977uk

Return to Introduce Yourself!